Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is The Tide Turning?

el punal

A week ago, after that woeful set of results against Palace, West Brom and Leicester, I had horrible misgivings about our visit to Southampton. Lose that, I thought, and we will be well and truly in the relegation mire. I’ll take a draw, I thought, a point is a point towards survival. We had our opportunity to sort this out when we played THEM and the Baggies - we failed.

So we rock up at St.Mary’s and we do it. We win, we score two goals and comfortably beat the Saints. Being Brighton though we always do things differently. We make the easy things difficult and the difficult easy.

Now Newcastle are our visitors. They are in dire straits with an appalling recent loss of form - just two wins in twenty games. Great. This will be when we do the usual Brighton thing - play lovely, pleasing on the eye football, have the majority of possession and try to score . . . and don’t.

Oh me of little faith! Our magnificent boys thought “up yours!” and did the business in style, and with goals, leaving old cabbage face to face the wrath of Geordies everywhere.

So here we are again, two wins on the bounce similar to when we thrashed Spurs and Liverpool. This time though, can we sustain it? Five goals in two games, at last finding the back of the net, confidence restored? Please, let it be so. Can we have a comfortable, non-squeaky bum time to the end of the season? If so we can all look forward to August where we can meet all our friends again, enjoy the Amex experience again, and be in the Premier League - again!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It was 9 days ago that the big question was - where is our next point coming from :lolol:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Bit of luck going our way as well for a change, saints penalty and Frasers shot .

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I'm not going to get too excited just yet. We've got a tough run in, United, Everton, Chelsea, City, West Ham, Arsenal, Wolves, Leeds......yes we are very capable of picking up points in that lot, but I've supported the Albion long enough to know that nothing ever pans out the way you want. I fully expect this to be nerve wracking.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not going to get too excited just yet. We've got a tough run in, United, Everton, Chelsea, City, West Ham, Arsenal, Wolves, Leeds......yes we are very capable of picking up points in that lot, but I've supported the Albion long enough to know that nothing ever pans out the way you want. I fully expect this to be nerve wracking.

Yep, we are still in a relegation tussle, we have had breathing space taken off us before this season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We (or some of us anyway) thought the tide had turned when we beat Spurs and Liverpool. Maybe we have, maybe we're just starting to get there. We've got 9 matches left - we could well lose around half of them, but should still get enough points from the others to keep us up. No doubt when we lose some we'll be worrying again about not turning the tide!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
People who support Brighton ought to realise the tide goes in and out regularly, there are a lot of Canute's on the board............

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It was so important to get those 6 points. Now Newcastle and Southampton have sufficiently poor form to be worried a bit more than us. The best thing is that we closed the gap on Southampton and Burnley, so pressure goes back on a wider group.

It can easily all go bad again given that we are not expected to win at Utd and it doesn’t get much easier after that, but it looks so much better just now.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
The Tide is high and we're holding on!!
Thing about tides........they go out again!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The results against Palace and West Brom were almost freakish given how the games played out, chances we (and they) had etc, and even the loss to Leicester resulted from a late howler.....so to me they were more like ‘unfortunate’ blips in what could and should have been an exceptional run of 10-12 games. We’re doing alright and will be alright.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

Or just adopt how Potter has been all season, neither euphoric or despondent, the most important game - is the next game. No need to treat it as nerve racking, if all you concentrate on is Old Trafford.

That kind of sounds obvious but why worry about all 9 fixtures when you have no idea where we’ll be other than we know we’ll start against United on 32 points - that’s all we can control.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
A week ago, after that woeful set of results against Palace, West Brom and Leicester, I had horrible misgivings about our visit to Southampton. Lose that, I thought, and we will be well and truly in the relegation mire. I’ll take a draw, I thought, a point is a point towards survival. We had our opportunity to sort this out when we played THEM and the Baggies - we failed.

So we rock up at St.Mary’s and we do it. We win, we score two goals and comfortably beat the Saints. Being Brighton though we always do things differently. We make the easy things difficult and the difficult easy.

Now Newcastle are our visitors. They are in dire straits with an appalling recent loss of form - just two wins in twenty games. Great. This will be when we do the usual Brighton thing - play lovely, pleasing on the eye football, have the majority of possession and try to score . . . and don’t.

Oh me of little faith! Our magnificent boys thought “up yours!” and did the business in style, and with goals, leaving old cabbage face to face the wrath of Geordies everywhere.

So here we are again, two wins on the bounce similar to when we thrashed Spurs and Liverpool. This time though, can we sustain it? Five goals in two games, at last finding the back of the net, confidence restored? Please, let it be so. Can we have a comfortable, non-squeaky bum time to the end of the season? If so we can all look forward to August where we can meet all our friends again, enjoy the Amex experience again, and be in the Premier League - again!

It’s a good reminder why we need to stay calm in the midst of short term bad results. Stop the silly hysteria and polls after an unlucky win. Things can change very quickly in this league, just ask Southampton.

I think we’ve got got one foot in PL safety now. 5 or 6 points may be enough. Still work to do through.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Or just adopt how Potter has been all season, neither euphoric or despondent, the most important game - is the next game. No need to treat it as nerve racking, if all you concentrate on is Old Trafford.

That kind of sounds obvious but why worry about all 9 fixtures when you have no idea where we’ll be other than we know we’ll start against United on 32 points - that’s all we can control.

Agree. As an aside, I’m of the view we only need one more win. I’m quite relaxed about this season.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The tide turns twice a day

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
When will people learn. We have good patches and bad. This seasons far from over for us.

Enjoy the last two wins but dont think for a second we arent still involved in a relegation fight. If we can drag Burnley and Saints back into it then id feel a little more comfortable.

El Punal if we beat United ill buy the crabcakes when we are next at the AMEX together.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here