Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] B&H council tax up by 5.1%

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
B&H council tax up by 5.1%

Have they not noticed that people have had a hit on thier incomes over the last year, and possibly the next ?

am i going to get my bins empties 5% more ?

for ref Band C house £1826 demand

what is every body else paying ?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Gotta pay for NHS pay rise somehow, so I am fully behind any rise.

On a serious note, what do people expect, Brexit, Covid, loss of income over the past year for the council on numerous fronts including parking.
It would be madness to think it would stay the same level, it rises every year, hardly a surprise is it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
people want more services, have to pay more. dont challenge the rise, challenge are the services needed.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I tolerate the increases, a legacy of years of over spending and political point scoring, and am generally happy with the bin collections. What infuriates me is the general grubbiness of B&H and the feeble excuses for withdrawing a council service, eg not weeding the pavements because they encourage insects that are essential for the eco system/food chain, when the same council proposes to chop down trees to create bike lanes that the locals don’t want, and concrete over Green spaces to build new houses.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Councils take the hit for massive cuts of central funding, alas. Damned if they do...

Even with the rises services will be further cut.

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
NHS pay

Gotta pay for NHS pay rise somehow, so I am fully behind any rise.

On a serious note, what do people expect, Brexit, Covid, loss of income over the past year for the council on numerous fronts including parking.
It would be madness to think it would stay the same level, it rises every year, hardly a surprise is it.

NHS pay doesnt come out of local government funds. Its funded by central government.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Councils take the hit for massive cuts of central funding, alas. Damned if they do...

Even with the rises services will be further cut.

Yes.

I saw a stat, along the lines of "to make up for the shortfall of cuts from central government, council tax in Brighton and Hove would have to rise by 26%"

Expect a 5% rise every year along with further cuts to services every year for the foreseeable future" This will be irrespective of whoever is in power locally

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Am I angry about the rise, certainly not!

Do I trust the fruitcakes who run our council to budget wisely, not a chance and that’s any of those wankers down there, all colours!!!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Quite

I'm affected and glad to pay it. Hopefully it all goes to front line services in the city.

This

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Do I trust the fruitcakes who run our council to budget wisely, not a chance and that’s any of those wankers down there, all colours!!!!

99.9% of Council staff are hard working normal people doing a job to the best of their ability with the resources they are given.

Where it goes wrong is vesting power and control in unpaid Councillors with vested interests and the Chief Executive and Directors who generally arrive, make decisions and then move off to other Councils or retire.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Ours has gone up by £122 on last year. 5.1% average - small increases of 2% to BHCC and Adult Social care but lions share of 7% to Police. Not happy with that part.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Local councils have had to endure limits on increases for a decade now, meaning that they've had to drastically reduce the services offered over that period (all because of central government diktat -- and central government has far too much power over local government). Increases also have to factor in things like inflation.
I'd suggest that our political energies would be more productively directed towards the issue of income and, more particularly, wealth distribution and inequalities and then the occasional above-inflation council tax rise would become less of a controversial issue.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
99.9% of Council staff are hard working normal people doing a job to the best of their ability with the resources they are given.

Where it goes wrong is vesting power and control in unpaid Councillors with vested interests and the Chief Executive and Directors who generally arrive, make decisions and then move off to other Councils or retire.

That’s why I said run the council [emoji106]

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
£2,054.22

Just the first of many increases as everyone looks to recover income lost due to Covid.

If only I could have a 5.34% increase in my income.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Not getting better anytime soon. There's an ageing population to look after too.

I'm resigned to these sorts of increases ad infinitum

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here