Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Wooden flooring

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Wooden flooring

Does anyone have any recommendations on floor fitting ? we've had oiled engineered wood flooring for 16 years now, looking to replace and get a better job done this time ie cut door frame bottoms, remove skirting etc.

We're looking at T&G oak parquet, 45m2 ( a bit more than a 5 minute job ) we've sourced the flooring but need a fitter, with advice on underlay/prep they're happy with to get thew right result.

Mrs Zef spoke to a few local companies, 2 never replied and one came back with a price 3 times the cost of the wood . . .given its about 5-7 days work I thought that was a bit rich.

lett the suggestions/humour roll in . . . :mad:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Wooden flooring

Does anyone have any recommendations on floor fitting ? we've had oiled engineered wood flooring for 16 years now, looking to replace and get a better job done this time ie cut door frame bottoms, remove skirting etc.

We're looking at T&G oak parquet, 45m2 ( a bit more than a 5 minute job ) we've sourced the flooring but need a fitter, with advice on underlay/prep they're happy with to get thew right result.

Mrs Zef spoke to a few local companies, 2 never replied and one came back with a price 3 times the cost of the wood . . .given its about 5-7 days work I thought that was a bit rich.

lett the suggestions/humour roll in . . . :mad:

We do a limited amount of wood flooring, but try City Wood floors in Portslade they seem ok.
Be warned everyone is really busy it seems in the flooring trade, we are booked up to May and June, so if a firm does not really want the job, they will over price it.
Labour in the trades is a big issue at the moment.
Note labour for a day is approx £300-£350 a day then a retailer will smack 40% plus 20% vat on that.
without seeing the job 3-5days seems about right.
uplift and removal is a days work and a price for skipping will be included, if I were you I would do it yourself, that will save a day and we would charge about £600-£700 for that.
We mainly deal in Amtico or Karndean, and carpets etc.

Last edited:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I used city wooden flooring in portslade about 5 years ago . They were knowledgeable and good fitters . Cos there based in portslade not central Brighton or Hove they are a bit more reasonable on price I think .

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea
Hi Zefarelly,
We used these guys on our new place last Autumn https://www.instagram.com/naked_floors/

Their flooring is superb but pricey - fitting was in the region of £2K with removal, underlay and so forth. Our chippy did a great job but it's labour intensive to say the least. Happy to DM our man's number but know he is is wrapped up until late summer - as someone else has said, the good guys are busy. If you find someone cheap and available, it would raise alarm bells

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
NIce, except it looks more labour intensive than laying T&G blocks. Edge cuts aside!

indeed. wood effect lino would be the better way to cheat.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We have just taken the plunge with luxury vinyl. I was a bit nervous but you really can't tell the difference, except it's more waterproof, insulating, hard wearing, etc.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We have just taken the plunge with luxury vinyl. I was a bit nervous but you really can't tell the difference, except it's more waterproof, insulating, hard wearing, etc.

Is the right answer, not to mention it is not interlocking, so if you damage one plank you don't have to break them all up from the edge of the room to get to it, you can simply heat it up and uplift it and slip a new one in to it's place.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Get a bit of Karndean or Amtico and just lay it on top of the existing floor, as long as it's level and smooth.

I know it's a cheat, but by crikey it's hardwearing and looks good!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Is the right answer, not to mention it is not interlocking, so if you damage one plank you don't have to break them all up from the edge of the room to get to it, you can simply heat it up and uplift it and slip a new one in to it's place.

Photo below - please feel free to criticise my decorating.

20200826_144721.jpg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Have you tried turning it off and then back on again ?

And on another point the cutting in on the r/h side of the chimney looks like a donkeys hind leg

Last edited:

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
https://www.ablflooring.co.uk/

I was very happy with the service from ABL flooring when I used them a couple of years ago. It was a restoration job rather than laying new, but they did a cracking job. A decent couple of blokes too.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
If you haven't committed to the materials yet, have a look at Karndean. It's incredibly hard wearing, laid in slats, indistinguishable from wood (well the wood ones are) and you can get 'marquetry' type designs put in to suit the room(s).

Got proper parquet elsewhere in the house, but Karndean doubled up with underfloor heating and I'm a complete convert :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here