Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] RIP Sabine Schmitz (she of Top Gear)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I was just watching her this morning on an old top gear and telling my young kids that she was a very fast racing driver.

Very sad to lose someone at that age.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Really sad, big personality, smart woman and a brilliant racing driver.

Having tried my arm at some proper track driving a couple of times and absolutely shat myself, I have massive respect for her talent. RIP.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
She was always entertaining on Top Gear, big personality and a great driver. RIP.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not a petrol head, but I loved Top Gear in that era.

Sabine was [horrible typing this in past tense] an immensely talented/accomplished driver and charismatic, with a brilliant sense of humour, she more than held her own with the TG trio.

Such a shame. RIP Sabine.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
Such sad news.

I tried counting how many cars she overtakes in this clip, but had to give up...

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

Genuinely one of my favourite segments on Top Gear that was. So entertaining, that clip is essentially 3 minutes of Sabine driving a van around a track but it's so entertaining and good to watch. All the driving talent in the world, 100% respect from everyone watching and everyone routing for her and the van to dip under 10 minutes. Brilliant clip.

Such a loss, RIP Sabine.

Thoughts to [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION].

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Tragic news, 51 is no age

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Such sad news.

I tried counting how many cars she overtakes in this clip, but had to give up...

Thanks for posting. Seen a lot of Ring clips but that one is right up there with all of them. Superb race craft. Used to have some racing mates that would call car control on a surface like that akin to "Milking a Mouse!"

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
Thanks for posting. Seen a lot of Ring clips but that one is right up there with all of them. Superb race craft. Used to have some racing mates that would call car control on a surface like that akin to "Milking a Mouse!"

Managed to find a race report online - excuse the translation:

After qualifying, the team around race director Andreas Thamm (Wuppertal) had a lot to do. “After an accident in the airfield section, there was a double yellow phase to recover the vehicle,” said Thamm. “An unusually large number of drivers did not adhere to the prescribed speed limit of 60 km / h. We dealt with each violation individually and conscientiously.” Eight vehicles were cancelled all training laps due to high speed violations, so that the participants had to start the race from the end of their respective classification group. In numerous other vehicles, the fastest lap time was canceled and the training result corrected accordingly. Affected by the penalties was also the later winning Frikadelli team. "We got the penalty rightly because Sabine simply drove too fast," said team boss Klaus Abbelen. “The race management acted perfectly right.” Sabine Schmitz started the race from the end of the first starting group and came back from lap one in fourth: “That was a lot of fun and I was able to make up for my mistake from qualifying. I opted for slicks in a light drizzle and initially had problems getting my tires up to temperature. But the choice of tires turned out to be spot on and I was able to quickly catch up with the leaders."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here