Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Dr Kananga (Yaphet Kotto) Bond villain.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
That was quite an odd bond film.

Great scene with the alligators

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Probably the only time in a film where an actor played two parts and I didn’t realise. Well, not until he pulled his latex face off.

I watched Live and Let Die earlier this year and it’s still terrific.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm still psychologically scarred from watching that film with my Dad when I was little.
I honestly believe I have a genuine phobia of New Orleans style Jazz Bands.

Me too but also parades. I ALWAYS check who I’m standing next to at events like Pride or the Children’s Parade to make sure I don’t get a blade to the side and end up in a coffin.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
One of the worst of the old Bond movies. No Desmond Llewelyn. Someone else than Richard Maibaum writing the script. No John Barry doing the music. No Ken Adam. Lots of the gritty stuff from the book left out in order to make it more comic. And the double role of Dr Kananga is more of a mind**** than anything else (Katto himself did well though). LALD is also very contemporary, it is frozen in the 1970s in a "in your face" way unlike most Bond movies that are somewhat timeless.

RIP, must have been like 200 years old.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Not G!

As Al Giardello, Yaphet was the heart of 'Homicide - Life On The Streets', David Simon's fabulous series that preceded 'The Wire'. Great actor.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
My first Bond film, so lives long in the memory, as Bond Baddies go he was right up there.

"My name is Bond, James Bond"

Mr Big replies "Names is for tombstones baby"

Was also in Arnie's very underrated "The Running Man"

RIP Mr Big.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
...it is frozen in the 1970s in a "in your face" way unlike most Bond movies that are somewhat timeless.

I don’t see that as a bad thing. I remember Moby the musician saying approvingly that it was like a Seventies Blaxploitation film starring Roger Moore.

Llewelyn, Maibaum, Barry etc I think were dropped as the producers wanted Moore’s Bond to have his own identity. It’s why he asks for bourbon instead of a vodka martini and smokes cigars instead of cigarettes.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
One of the worst of the old Bond movies. No Desmond Llewelyn. Someone else than Richard Maibaum writing the script. No John Barry doing the music. No Ken Adam. Lots of the gritty stuff from the book left out in order to make it more comic. And the double role of Dr Kananga is more of a mind**** than anything else (Katto himself did well though). LALD is also very contemporary, it is frozen in the 1970s in a "in your face" way unlike most Bond movies that are somewhat timeless.

RIP, must have been like 200 years old.

Always been on of my favourite Bond films, directed by Guy Hamilton who also did Goldfinger, Diamonds AF, Man with TGG. I think most of the films took liberties with the books didn’t they? And McCartney’s theme tune - still one of the most memorable!?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
What a show that was, in many respects better than The Wire.

Unbelievable that nobody is streaming it. One of the best TV dramas of the nineties. The writing was brilliant. The stories taken from life. Kotto, Belzer, Braugher, Melissa Leo, Ned Beatty - the cast were excellent throughout.

You seem to have mis-typed something in your post though. I don't understand the phrase 'better than The Wire', except when used in the context of 'No television drama ever made has been.... better than 'The Wire'.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I think most of the films took liberties with the books didn’t they?

Definitely. Diamonds Are Forever, the film that preceded LALD, would’ve had gangsters with a hideout in a western ghost town and a Back to the Future 3 style locomotive chase scene had it followed the book.

And The Spy Who Loved Me film wouldnt have Jaws, the underwater city, the stolen submarines, the lady Russian spy, the submarine Lotus, the skiing off the mountain... It’d be about a woman having two affairs with married men, having an abortion in Switzerland, getting a job in a motel in America, encountering two monsters who try to rape her, and then (over halfway through) James Bond shows up.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm still psychologically scarred from watching that film with my Dad when I was little.
I honestly believe I have a genuine phobia of New Orleans style Jazz Bands.

Not as uncommon as you might think.

I’ve been seeing a therapist about recurring nightmares on the same theme, where I’m being chased by a man from the brass section.

Apparently he’s a sax maniac.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not as uncommon as you might think.

I’ve been seeing a therapist about recurring nightmares on the same theme, where I’m being chased by a man from the brass section.

Apparently he’s a sax maniac.

Off to the Fringe this year ???:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here