Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Working alone in a factory.....

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Would you?

I'm not just talking about being on your own in an isolated part where there are colleagues still on site. ...

I'm talking about literally on your own. Everyone else has gone home, everything bar one door is locked up so I can get out and lock up.

There no procedures in place other than text my twunt of a supervisor to say I'm going home. I operate machinery and also use a forklift constantly.

When I started in Jan they said they wanted someone to work a bit later so extend their working day so I managed to negotiate a 9.30-6 shift.

Everyone else there is in at 6am and gone by 4pm.

As people are aware I'm desperate to get a mortgage so I've been doing overtime until 8pm then heading home.

They want to change my shift to 11am-7.30pm.

Basically stopping me doing overtime and thus destroying my mortgage hopes as I'm still short on the earnings front to get what I want.

There is literally no support for me if I have a programming issue on the machine or god forbid I have any kind of accident.

I think its an unfair request. And I think I'm within my rights to tell them to jog on BUT.....

I'm on a 6 month probationary period, if I get too arsey then they can just get rid of me.

Don't really know what to do.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Would you?

I'm not just talking about being on your own in an isolated part where there are colleagues still on site. ...

I'm talking about literally on your own. Everyone else has gone home, everything bar one door is locked up so I can get out and lock up.

There no procedures in place other than text my twunt of a supervisor to say I'm going home. I operate machinery and also use a forklift constantly.

When I started in Jan they said they wanted someone to work a bit later so extend their working day so I managed to negotiate a 9.30-6 shift.

As people are aware I'm desperate to get a mortgage so I've been doing overtime until 8pm then heading home.

Basically stopping me doing overtime and thus destroying my mortgage hopes as I'm still short on the earnings front to get what I want.

There is literally no support for me if I have a programming issue on the machine or god forbid I have any kind of accident.

I think its an unfair request. And I think I'm within my rights to tell them to jog on BUT.....

I'm on a 6 month probationary period, if I get too arsey then they can just get rid of me.

Not sure if it is the same in the UK but here in Malta, we were not allowed to leave one employee alone on shift in the office let alone a factory.

Difficult to suggest you complain given the situation. Have you any supervisor or manager who can be asked about this without consequences?

Best of luck !

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Join a Union. Tell them no. I am also saving for a mortgage and lone work through the night but not in a place where accidents are that much of an issue.
I’m fine with it but Unite have got involved in couple of other matters and sorted it out in my favour. Invaluable.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sorry you’re in this predicament.

If operating machinery and a forklift entirely alone, is that against H&S laws?

Personally, if the money’s alright and proving helpful, and the boss is not a cnt, I’d do it. But I’ve (stupidly) done plenty of non-H&S stuff with ladders and power tools.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Not sure if it is the same in the UK but here in Malta, we were not allowed to leave one employee alone on shift in the office let alone a factory.

Difficult to suggest you complain given the situation. Have you any supervisor or manager who can be asked about this without consequences?

Best of luck !

Not really.

My supervisor is a complete nob. He's Polish. Rude, arrogant and shouty. I've already had to bite my lip several times because of the way he's spoken to me and we've already had several disagreements.

The next one up is the manager who wants me to change shift, then I'll be at director level.

They used to sub out all their laser work but wanted to bring it "in house" so spent nearly £500k on one. Then realised they didn't know how to use it. So brought the Polish guy in in November. I was approached by an agency about the same job but the Polish guy got it ahead of me.

Then they contacted me 2 days after losing my last job in Jan as they needed more experience as its not efficient enough. (It is but you can't measure a purely linear process in square metres).

Their idea is to prolong the day. Everyone else does overtime by starting early. But I won't be able to.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Would you?

Cant blame them for shutting down your cushty overtime number.
But working on your own operating machinery? They are really asking you to do that? I’m pretty sure I that is illegal.
Whatever the case, you have to start looking elsewhere.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Notwithstanding any breaches of H&S, am I right in thinking that you have been working on your own for up to 4 hours and have accepted that risk because of the money? It seems that your issue is not the risk but that they are reducing your hours/opportunity for overtime. How close are you to completing the 6 months? If it's close, then as you have previously accepted the risk then why not continue until you are in a stronger position. Your long term goal is the mortgage.

Also, having the backing of a union is a good idea especially if you're working for an employer that is either stretching or blatantly ignoring the law!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
H&S would say no i think. however if i read correctly you are already doing so and really objecting on the hours.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Cant blame them for shutting down your cushty overtime number.
But working on your own operating machinery? They are really asking you to do that? I’m pretty sure I that is illegal.
Whatever the case, you have to start looking elsewhere.

What I was going to say. From what I have read you don't like the people you work with, the company appear to be cutting corners, doing things on the cheap.

If it were me I would be looking elsewhere.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Notwithstanding any breaches of H&S, am I right in thinking that you have been working on your own for up to 4 hours and have accepted that risk because of the money? It seems that your issue is not the risk but that they are reducing your hours/opportunity for overtime. How close are you to completing the 6 months? If it's close, then as you have previously accepted the risk then why not continue until you are in a stronger position.

Pretty much.

It has been to my benefit. But I'm not going to take the risk for no benefit whatsoever. Its effectively a pay cut. But everyone else has the opportunity to earn extra.

For the last 20 years I've always been an early start-early finisher working 12 hour shifts 6am-6pm after overtime.

This change is killing me as it is as I'm still waking up at 5am and if I do manage to sleep in a bit the kids are up at 6am.

I left the last job to earn more and try to improve my work life balance and I've managed to end up poorer and even worse as far as work life balance goes.

Number 1 priority is mortgage, this change will effectively kill that chance as I'll be losing nearly £7k a year.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Ask to see the risk assessments for lone working.

This :thumbsup:
My company has a lone worker risk assessment in place, where if left on our own, we are supposed to call a number to let them know, we are basically still alive.
If we don't call in after a set amount of time, say 30 mins, then they call you :shrug:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
What I was going to say. From what I have read you don't like the people you work with, the company appear to be cutting corners, doing things on the cheap.

If it were me I would be looking elsewhere.

Been looking elsewhere since I started. I only took the job as I was unemployed. Didnt want the shifts they were offering but didn't have much choice if I wanted to pay the rent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here