Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who partners Lawrenson ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
As our greatest ever centre back partnership.

Dunk or Foster ?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A good question actually, and very difficult to choose between them in my opinion. Dunk is perhaps the better footballer of the two, but then Lawro was very good with the ball at his feet as well, so perhaps big Fozzie alongside him would make a better combo?

I really don't know the answer, either pairing would do me though!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Obviously they'd all play: along with a goalie and seven other centre backs. (Ward to come on for the last ten).

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Simple solution play with a central 3 at the back.

That would be immense.

It occurred to me that the Foster-Lawrenson partnership didn't play together as much, or as impressively, as we probably imagine. Foster came into the team in our fourth game in the old first division, and Lawrenson was injured in the next match at Spurs and missed nine games, during which Gary Stevens took over. When Lawro returned, he played in midfield at first and Peter Suddaby played alongside Foster.

Then in the 1980-81 season when they were the first-choice pairing, we struggled and needed four wins in our final four games to avoid the drop. There's an argument to be made that Foster and Steve Gatting in 1981-82 is our best-ever central defensive pairing - and Gatting wasn't even supposed to be a defender when we signed him.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That would be immense.

It occurred to me that the Foster-Lawrenson partnership didn't play together as much, or as impressively, as we probably imagine. Foster came into the team in our fourth game in the old first division, and Lawrenson was injured in the next match at Spurs and missed nine games, during which Gary Stevens took over. When Lawro returned, he played in midfield at first and Peter Suddaby played alongside Foster.

Then in the 1980-81 season when they were the first-choice pairing, we struggled and needed four wins in our final four games to avoid the drop. There's an argument to be made that Foster and Steve Gatting in 1981-82 is our best-ever central defensive pairing - and Gatting wasn't even supposed to be a defender when we signed him.

I do think Gatting was underated because he played midfield and left back so you forget how good a centre half he was.
I wouldn’t have minded going for Lawro Foster and Dunk if we could play Bridge at wing back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here