Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Meanwhile, here in Southampton . . . .

el punal

. . . the sun is shining, the birds are singing, there’s a spring in my step, the natives are getting restless, and, all is well with world.

What a generous gesture at St.Mary’s yesterday - the 2 for 1 special offer which we just couldn’t refuse.

Happy Mondays everyone! :clap::drink:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Another club joins squeaky bum time, the more the merrier I say

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Southampton need about 5 more points.

They won't look so safe if they lose to Burnley and West Brom next though.

Maybe they'll get distracted by the Cup :shrug:

Pretty much all my Saints supoorting mates said we deserved it and good luck to us. Not a great deal of dislike towards us, perhaps partiallly unified in contempt for the perennial overspenders & non bill payers of Pompey. Much like seagulls fans, recently, they simply expect their team to dominate possession and lose every week.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
Just before Christmas my Saints supporting mate was carping on about qualifying for Europe and being a top six team. I took some pleasure yesterday in highlihghting that hey will be lucky to avoid a bottom six final position and could even get dragged into the relegation battle if they don't improve sharpish. A lovely turn of events

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I don’t think I’ve ever met a Southampton fan, or seen a Southampton shirt in Brighton unless we’re playing them. Weird considering our location. Seen plenty of Pompey out and about.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don’t think I’ve ever met a Southampton fan, or seen a Southampton shirt in Brighton unless we’re playing them. Weird considering our location. Seen plenty of Pompey out and about.

I've mentioned before there are some odious Stains in Shoreham . . . hope I see tham this week.

our MD is a stains fan (although a Derby lad from birth) he was pragmatic this morning . . . our office sales Chimp is a FUlham fan. only found that out this morning . . . he's sweating but we al think Toon are worse off.

I'm reserving judgement until 22:00 on Saturday

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I've mentioned before there are some odious Stains in Shoreham . . . hope I see tham this week.

our MD is a stains fan (although a Derby lad from birth) he was pragmatic this morning . . . our office sales Chimp is a FUlham fan. only found that out this morning . . . he's sweating but we al think Toon are worse off.

I'm reserving judgement until 22:00 on Saturday
Fair enough, I knew they must be somewhere. Probably just me.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Loads of Pompey in East Wales?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
My in-laws are Saints fans from Haslemere, very gracious contacted me on the final whistle with words of congratulations and how the best team won.
They are struggling, often one team from mid table slips up and has an awful run in, would be lovely to drag them into the relegation dog fight.
They reminded me of a Poyet side with loads of possession but between the back four, even with ten minutes to go the ball was often played backwards. Look low on confidence.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Pretty much all my Saints supoorting mates said we deserved it and good luck to us. Not a great deal of dislike towards us, perhaps partiallly unified in contempt for the perennial overspenders & non bill payers of Pompey. Much like seagulls fans, recently, they simply expect their team to dominate possession and lose every week.

I've had much the same sort of reaction. "We were rubbish. You deserved it".

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Southampton need about 5 more points.

They won't look so safe if they lose to Burnley and West Brom next though.

Maybe they'll get distracted by the Cup :shrug:

Doesn't mean anything, but some interesting parallels:

Brighton 2018/19: First 15 games - 21pts, Next 14 games - 12 pts, Final 9 games - 3 pts.
Southampton 20/21: First 15 games - 24 pts, Next 14 games - 9pts, Final 9 games - ?

At this stage back then, we were in 15th with 33 points, celebrating having just done the double over Palace, looking forward to an FA Cup Quarter Final against Championship Millwall, unaware that, even though we would sneak through on penalties, we had already won our last game of the season. Cardiff, the team that ended up 18th were on 28 points, but had played one more game than us.
Southampton are 14th with 33 points and are looking forward to an FA Cup Quarter Final against a Championship side...
Fulham in 18th are on 26 points, but have played the same number of games as Southampton.

Their run in looks easier than ours did back then, but their recent form is worse than ours had been.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Would love to walk past Ward-Prowse in the street and give him the big one. Like he did in front of the North Stand in December.

Odious little Pompey twerp.

Yep - was sweet revenge on that smug little **** yesterday - it really didn’t show what he did on the tv but if you were one of the 2,000 in the ground or even 1,000 or so near the north that night, you know!

el punal

Having read the comments from Saints fans in the local rag, the Echo, and their fans forum, the Ugly Inside, a couple of themes are apparent.

Firstly, the majority admit that we were the better side. We were hungrier and our tactics were spot on, with Potter making positive changes when required.

Secondly, the criticism aimed at the club (Southampton) seems to be universal. The owners, the structure of the club, the players, the coaching staff, the tactics - just about everything is a target. Their collapse since the New Year has been disastrous (4 points from a possible 36) tells the story.

They will probably escape relegation because of their points accumulation prior to Christmas. As for next season, though, they could be in a whole heap of trouble unless things improve from top to bottom. Many of their fans now expect a defeat to Bournemouth in the Cup - ouch!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here