Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Small Point re that free kick / the (poor) officials today

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It only dawned on me after we’d thankfully defended it but how the **** has the ref given a free kick there? He let them play on and miss a one on one - then pulls it back! No no no - they had their advantage and missed - piss poor decision that could have cost us.

Rules:

ADVANTAGE

allows play to continue when an offence occurs and the non-offending team will benefit from the advantage and penalises the offence if the anticipated advantage does not ensue at that time or within a few seconds

They had a clear advantage, used the advantage and missed - they should not have been given a second chance. More piss poor officiating. And don’t get me started on playing an extra 35 seconds or so when there was no delays...

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
very much this - genuinely thought we would be cheated by a ref for the second time in a number of weeks.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
With added time is it not a minimum. So if the ref has timed that 3 mins and 30 seconds should be added on then the board will display 3 minutes but the ref will play 3 minutes 30 seconds.

Completely agree regarding the advantage. Should never have been a free kick after they got a shot on goal.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
It only dawned on me after we’d thankfully defended it but how the **** has the ref given a free kick there? He let them play on and miss a one on one - the pulls it back! No no no - they had their advantage and missed - piss poor decision that could have cost us.

Rules:

ADVANTAGE

allows play to continue when an offence occurs and the non-offending team will benefit from the advantage and penalises the offence if the anticipated advantage does not ensue at that time or within a few seconds

They had a clear advantage, used the advantage and missed - they should not have been given a second chance. More piss poor officiating. And don’t get me started on playing an extra 35 seconds or so when there was no delays...

Am I reading this wrong, Does the bold bit not answer the question? I was more annoyed that Minimino wasn't touched when he went down.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sorry guys just seen there’s a thread already pointing this out - glad others felt aggrieved too.

What a win - needed that - wasn’t as pretty as normal but think we did that deliberately - 100% confidence is so so so important - we looked completely devoid of it 1st half after our recent undeserved results but we dug in and the confidence grew. Long way to go but feels good to win that one. Still think we were miles better against Villa / scum etc but that’s football.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I didn't see too much wrong with it personally, thought the ref had a good game...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
With added time is it not a minimum. So if the ref has timed that 3 mins and 30 seconds should be added on then the board will display 3 minutes but the ref will play 3 minutes 30 seconds.

Completely agree regarding the advantage. Should never have been a free kick after they got a shot on goal.

Oooohhhh never ever thought of it like this. I assumed it was just rounded up or down to the nearest minute!?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Am I reading this wrong, Does the bold bit not answer the question? I was more annoyed that Minimino wasn't touched when he went down.

No because the advantage (a one on one clear shot) is a better chance than a free kick - they can’t have both surely.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It only dawned on me after we’d thankfully defended it but how the **** has the ref given a free kick there? He let them play on and miss a one on one - the pulls it back! No no no - they had their advantage and missed - piss poor decision that could have cost us.

Rules:

ADVANTAGE

Wasn’t there a delay in injury time when the ball went out for a throw in while VAR checked for a penalty. The ref certainly stopped the game from restarting straight away but I didn’t think the delay was that long.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I didn't see too much wrong with it personally, thought the ref had a good game...

I thought all 3 favoured Southampton personally. Nothing too major but lots of free kicks given to them when we’d won the ball.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Wasn’t there a delay in injury time when the ball went out for a throw in while VAR checked for a penalty. The ref certainly stopped the game from restarting straight away but I didn’t think the delay was that long.

Was hard to tell on tv but there was - 5 secs maximum. Nowhere near what he played. Same ref also refused to blow up on time for the first half when there was no delays purely because they were on the attack - grinds my gears.

But **** it it doesn’t matter overall - the good guys won!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Either that or a bit more time added on for the (brief) VAR check

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Think that the ref was applying Rugby Union rules there .

Not quite. As it wasn’t a penalty offence, as soon as the player had a chance at points then its considered advantage played - tactical/territorial advantage rules apply so it would have been advantage played. If its penalty advantage in rugby they can have an attempt at points and come back for the penalty if they miss.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Yes, they had two bites of the cherry, which seems unfair in that specific area and passage of play, it's not like it was an inconsequential coming together in the middle of the pitch.

They were basically given two chances to score for one infringement

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here