Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] New ball please

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Not knowing much about cricket I did a little searching re Red Pink White ball s and the use of in the various forms Just because
A rather random question arose Mainly for the village cricketers out there Did a new ball get used each game ?
With all the carry on around ball tampering in top level matches over the years Just wondered if lower down the pyramid
A used ball would be re used until it was too tired Possibly giving the home team an advantage

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not knowing much about cricket I did a little searching re Red Pink White ball s and the use of in the various forms Just because
A rather random question arose Mainly for the village cricketers out there Did a new ball get used each game ?
With all the carry on around ball tampering in top level matches over the years Just wondered if lower down the pyramid
A used ball would be re used until it was too tired Possibly giving the home team an advantage

Ummm why would a used ball give the home team an advantage?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
New ball every innings even in lower league. Team who bowls second does have the option of starting with the used ball from the first innings.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
When I played village cricket I Warwickshire in the mid '60's. All team members payed subs each week which went towards a new ball and tea. The new ball was then given to the senior umpire who in turn gave to the fielding side's captain. At the end of the match that ball would go in the nets practise box.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
When I played village cricket I Warwickshire in the mid '60's. All team members payed subs each week which went towards a new ball and tea. The new ball was then given to the senior umpire who in turn gave to the fielding side's captain. At the end of the match that ball would go in the nets practise box.

You were lucky. When I started playing village cricket we used to make a new ball last a few matches. Probably that's why our subs were so low.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Ummm why would a used ball give the home team an advantage?

If you were to Murray mints polish the ball Or sandpaper it Ozzie style ?
Surely if the ball was reused a pre worn ball Tweaked could help the home side in a beneficial manner ,much like in an ongoing match situation
But I believe one of the OP s responses stating a new ball is used each match
Makes this redundant now
Edit Lincolnshire’s response now opens the door again

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Still the Sunday way. Although, post Covid, I think the teas thing may stop for some. Folk have realised it a most tiresome tradition. Bring your own.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The ball as an advantage should only be considered for the batting side or the fielding side - it make naff-all difference if you are home or away.

All Shrops league games have a new ball for the start of each innings so no advantage or disadvantage on the age/condition of the ball for either side.
Balls are supplied by the league so everyone is equal - 3 different types of ball [quality] are used depending on the division played.

In ODIs, not everyone realises that a new ball is used at each end from the start of each innings - at the end of the over, the umpire at the bowling end pops the ball in his pocket, while the other ball is used from the other end. This is mainly to do with the fact that white balls do not last well for 50 overs, so two are used each innings and so each one only needs to last 25 overs.

The only possible advantage with the ball and being at home is having access to the club kitchen microwave oven. Put one of the balls in the microwave for 60 seconds and make very sure that you give the other one to the Ump if you're batting and the microwaved one if you're bowling ....
But ball-tampering is illegal in cricket so I do not condone this unsporting behaviour - but it takes wickets !!!

In all the games I've been involved with using a pink ball the quality is naff and the ball looks shot after about 10 overs.
I do think the pink ball is the future, but leather dye technology needs to progress significantly first.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Can I tell you good cricketing folk a wonderful cricketing story.
This goes back to the mid 70's when my drinking pub was the Windmill in Burgess Hill.
A nationwide pub cricket tournament was arranged, may still go on today, and we entered. Note, we had no cricket team but so what, it would be fun and it's only pub teams.
We got drawn against the Greyhound Keymer. Little pub so may have a few players. As the home team we had to supply the ground so the match took place at Marle Place. We had a few practise days. Our landlord put up a barrel to the winning team. We arrived, scruffy jeans and T-shirts, ready for an afternoon of fun and drinking. The Greyhound team turned out to be Keymer Cricket Club, a very good team who turned up in whites. Not sure of the score but I do know we went in to bat first and it was all over very very quickly.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Still the Sunday way. Although, post Covid, I think the teas thing may stop for some. Folk have realised it a most tiresome tradition. Bring your own.

Shame in a way, that was always part and parcel of Sunday cricket for me, I will always remember Mrs. Howell's tea and sandwiches between innings, during my short lived career playing for Staines & Laleham III's back in the early 70's. Another tradition gone.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
This goes back to the mid 70's when my drinking pub was the Windmill in Burgess Hill.
A nationwide pub cricket tournament was arranged, may still go on today, and we entered. Note, we had no cricket team but so what, it would be fun and it's only pub teams.
We got drawn against the Greyhound Keymer. Little pub so may have a few players. As the home team we had to supply the ground so the match took place at Marle Place. We had a few practise days. Our landlord put up a barrel to the winning team. We arrived, scruffy jeans and T-shirts, ready for an afternoon of fun and drinking. The Greyhound team turned out to be Keymer Cricket Club, a very good team who turned up in whites. Not sure of the score but I do know we went in to bat first and it was all over very very quickly.

On a similar theme, I used to play for my local village (Aldington) in the Shepherd Neame Kent Village league (division 4 or 5 I think). Our friendly fixtures were arranged by an elderly lady (mother of a couple of the players).

One Sunday we were somewhat surprised when the opponents for our friendly turned up in their own team coach with players all carrying their own massive kit bags complete with helmets etc. I can’t remember the opponents but she had managed to arrange a game with one of Kent’s top Sunday league sides.

Fortunately they were kind and reversed their batting order and bowled very gently at us. It was still over fairly quickly.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Shame in a way, that was always part and parcel of Sunday cricket for me, I will always remember Mrs. Howell's tea and sandwiches between innings, during my short lived career playing for Staines & Laleham III's back in the early 70's. Another tradition gone.

It is a nice one. Although it often falls on the same people in every club. Where folk enjoy doing it I suspect it will continue.

I sense that a few may have breathed a sigh of relief last season when it was banned. Certainly in our club where it is always a chore to get someone to do it.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
New ball every innings even in lower league. Team who bowls second does have the option of starting with the used ball from the first innings.

This! One of the things that gets covered by subs along with tea money is the purchase of a few boxes of balls at the start of the season.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

None of the teams I played for could afford a new ball every game. They were polished up as best as they could, but sometimes it was like paying with tennis balls after a few overs.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

I used to play for KHCC late 70's early 80's - not the first team though (most of them were seriously better than me).

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009

Before league cricket, our fixtures secretary used to arrange away fixtures on the basis of how good the teas were. Those were the days! Best to field first so that at least 9 of us could do the teas justice.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here