Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Advantage rule

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Surely the ref let play go, Southampton had the advantage, got a clear shot on target so why was it then pulled back? It meant they had two chances to score.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Play gets pulled back all the time. If it was the other way round and our shot was saved/missed we be demanding to know where our advantage was. Sometimes it feels unjust, but it happens so often, and when it's our way we don't complain, I don't think we can criticise the ref for that.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I thought the same. If the ref plays advantage I always thought that was it. Not play advantage, see if they score, if not award the free kick.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I would like that to be the norm but you can't just randomly decide to let play go that long.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Agree.

He played advantage, fair enough, and Saints got the advantage: they kept the ball, continued attacking, created an excellent chance and were unlucky not to score it. Advantage used up.

No way should they have been given a second go at scoring. The advantage should only been discounted and a free kick given if continuing play had resulted in us getting the ball or, at best, the chance to score not materialising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I thought they were meant to wait until they saw whether the advantage worked out in terms of the run of the ball etc. Sometimes within a split second a player miscontrols it, it bounces funny or a defender gets a touch. I didn't think it was like rugby where advantage means if you don't score it comes back.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Yes, this was farcical.

However the free kick should have been a penalty imo. Which makes up for Marchgate in the reverse fixture. Wonder if Ralph agreed with it again?

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Agreed. Football now seems to be using the Rugby interpretation of advantage. In football it used to be applied in situations such as when a player got fouled in scoring. Now, if a player is fouled play is allowed to continue, but if their team doesn’t benefit from the continuation, play gets pulled back. I preferred the old interpretation.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It was applied the way it should be (but rarely is) applied today.

I didn't enjoy watching it though

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Insane that was pulled back, once the advantage had let to a shot from 8 yards out.

Indeed. They got the advantage which led directly to one of the best chances of the match, maybe equal to Groß’.

I know you have to give the advantage to the team who has been fouled against but they were given two chances to score, that’s a little unfair. The direct opposite to us a West Brom.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It was applied the way it should be (but rarely is) applied today.

I didn't enjoy watching it though

It depends if you define a player being given an amazing goal scoring chance as an advantage or a goal. The ball went through to a Southampton player, not a Brighton one. The ref interpreted the rule in terms of only a ‘goal’ was enough to be seen as an advantage, not getting an outrageously good chance to score; I think’s that’s wrong.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
An incident in the Everton v Burnley game yesterday - Richarlison clearly fouled just outside the penalty area. Ball fell to an Everton player, ref says "play on", but within about a second Burnley won it back. Ref didn't bring the play back - seemed very unfair to me.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
100% sure this is not how advantage works in football. Yes in rugby but not football. Pretty sure the ref can wait a few seconds to see if there is an advantage and then is supposed to call / indicate that he is playing advantage. They had a clear goal scoring opportunity, no way should that free kick have been given. Although if the free kick had been in the area, guess VAR would have intervened and given a penalty. Ridiculous the way the rules seem to be getting changed and misinterpreted this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here