Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] RIP Marvelous Marvin Hagler

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1370876064910696457[/tweet]

I remember World of Sport (probably) doing a bit on Tommy Hearns training for his upcoming fight with Marvin.

Hearns way laying on a bench.
His trainer was kneeing beside him.
The trainer was repeatedly lifting a medicine ball above his head and slamming it down on Hearns' stomach.
Tommy was bent double by each savage pummeling.

Hagler went on to win the fight...

...predominately concentrating on blows to Hearns' stomach.

Last edited:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I'm shocked and saddened by this news. If anyone could fight of disease and old age it was him.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
OMG RIP Champ

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The fight is considered to be the three greatest rounds in boxing history, due to its constant action, drama, and violent back-and-forth exchanges.

British fight publication Boxing News called it "eight minutes of mayhem", while The Ring called the fight "the most electrifying eight minutes ever," and it won fight of the year for 1985, despite lasting only three rounds.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
What a fighter. Just about remember him beating Alan Minter before being part of that great middleweight era with Duran, Hearns and Leonard.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, if footballers are getting sick from heading a football, some of the stuff that Marvin's brains must have put up with is awesome - not really surprising that he died early. Some survive having their head battered better than others I guess. Anyway, RIP - a great boxer from the days before boxing was taken away from Joe Public without a subscription to PPV.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
What a fighter. Just about remember him beating Alan Minter before being part of that great middleweight era with Duran, Hearns and Leonard.

I remember the Minter fight very well. Local hero's first defence against Marvin Who? What could possibly go wrong? It was a shock to see Minter hopelessly out of his depth and to se the crowd's reaction. And this now is a shock. A great champion RIP.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
And also a robbery as the crowd favourite got the judges vote.

Gutted to hear the news. He was one of my all time favourite fighters and one of the greatest middleweights of all-time.

As for the Leonard fight it wasn’t a robbery. In fact Leonard won fair and square and I say that as someone who wanted Hagler to win.

He gave Leonard the first four rounds and then Sugar Ray done enough to win at least 3 of rounds 5 through to 12.

I’ve seen robbery’s and I’ve seen difficult to score fights, I genuinely believe this was a straight forward Leonard victory. It was close enough but quite easy to score as bar 1 or 2 rounds the winners of each round was generally very clear.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
[tweet]1370876064910696457[/tweet]

I remember World of Sport (probably) doing a bit on Tommy Hearns training for his upcoming fight with Marvin.

Hearns way laying on a bench.
His trainer was kneeing beside him.
The trainer was repeatedly lifting a medicine ball above his head and slamming it down on Hearns' stomach.
Tommy was bent double by each savage pummeling.

Hagler went on to win the fight...

...predominately concentrating on blows to Hearns' stomach.
RIP Marvin, one hell of a boxer... Not sure how useful / accurate is the reference to him being ill after the vaccine though?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
RIP Marvellous. Up at the top with the likes of Leonard, Duran and Hearns.

There will never be a period in boxing like that again.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He was the boxer who got me interested in the sport as a kid, one of my heroes.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sad news - RIP Marvellous one.....

The way he finished Minter, brutal.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
That this has been used as an opportunity to blame the vaccine is alarming.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here