Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Scottish football

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Football across the border is often ridiculed by the English and dismissed as being of a poor standard league one level at best I often read but based on population do you think there's an argument that Scotland has the best level of football in terms of attendances, stadia and quality of football taking into account their 5.5 million population?

Comparing their leagues to England's when they have 10% of the population always seems harsh and whilst the level is obviously miles behind I feel Scottish football massively punches above their weight.

Gafones

Jul 28, 2009
Brighton
Probably a good point. I love Scottish football and watch it regularly. I don't give a monkey's (tennis) what anyone else thinks and I don't know any other Scottish football fans that do. I am baffled why people south of the border spend any time whatsoever thinking about Scottish football if they don't like it. I'm sure they don't agonize over the Welsh or Northern Irish leagues. Just enjoy English football. I do that as well.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Football across the border is often ridiculed by the English and dismissed as being of a poor standard league one level at best I often read but based on population do you think there's an argument that Scotland has the best level of football in terms of attendances, stadia and quality of football taking into account their 5.5 million population?

Comparing their leagues to England's when they have 10% of the population always seems harsh and whilst the level is obviously miles behind I feel Scottish football massively punches above their weight.

Attendance yes, that is a fact. Stadium quality probably hard to measure. Quality of football is a definite no, if you watch a mid-tier game in SPL and then a mid-tier meeting in eg Denmark (3.3 million) or Portugal (10m) there's an ocean of difference in quality.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Attendance yes, that is a fact. Stadium quality probably hard to measure. Quality of football is a definite no, if you watch a mid-tier game in SPL and then a mid-tier meeting in eg Denmark (3.3 million) or Portugal (10m) there's an ocean of difference in quality.

Portugal is twice the size of Scotland and football in the principle sport so makes sense that their league would be of a much better quality. I don't know much about Danish football apart from watching a gane on TV in Copenhagen where the passion and spectacle wasn't really matched by the standard of football

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Probably a good point. I love Scottish football and watch it regularly. I don't give a monkey's (tennis) what anyone else thinks and I don't know any other Scottish football fans that do. I am baffled why people south of the border spend any time whatsoever thinking about Scottish football if they don't like it. I'm sure they don't agonize over the Welsh or Northern Irish leagues. Just enjoy English football. I do that as well.

Agree with all of that. However, the answer is quite simple; rivalry. We do need keep the scotch in their place otherwise they come down here and swim in our fountains and break our goalposts. They would feel a lot worse if we didn’t care at all.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The quality of Scottish football is such that we should play any scottish team, just so our strikers can get that feeling of scoring back.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
A couple of seasons ago Aberdeen lost one of their best players to....Salford! Why? Salford offered more money. I think this says it all tbh.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Isn’t all football relative?
I loved some of the games when we were in the lower leagues, yes, the football wasn’t technically as good, obviously, but, the excitement was up there with anything I’ve seen since. When Spain and Barca were sweeping all before them with a brand of football that was technically brilliant, I’ll be honest, I found it a bit boring. I’d much rather watch a Scottish game between 2 evenly matched sides going for it.
My main criticism of Scottish football, is there is the 2 largest Glasgow clubs who usually win everything, and then you have the rest. Years ago I’d go and watch either Hearts, Hibbies, or Dunfermline if I couldn’t get home of a weekend,I saw some cracking games.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Based on your argument then, the USA and Russia should have the best footballing leagues.

Clearly that is not the case, and, also, using your criteria we could then say that England’s leagues are over performing given the population difference to bigger countries.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Isn’t all football relative?
I loved some of the games when we were in the lower leagues, yes, the football wasn’t technically as good, obviously, but, the excitement was up there with anything I’ve seen since. When Spain and Barca were sweeping all before them with a brand of football that was technically brilliant, I’ll be honest, I found it a bit boring. I’d much rather watch a Scottish game between 2 evenly matched sides going for it.
My main criticism of Scottish football, is there is the 2 largest Glasgow clubs who usually win everything, and then you have the rest. Years ago I’d go and watch either Hearts, Hibbies, or Dunfermline if I couldn’t get home of a weekend,I saw some cracking games.

I think that sums it up for me. I also think those who disrespect the SPL do so purely based on its inferior quality to the top English leagues. There are some great clubs, 4 or 5 fantastic stadiums and many other good ones and some fierce historic rivalries to keep it interesting.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Based on your argument then, the USA and Russia should have the best footballing leagues.

Clearly that is not the case, and, also, using your criteria we could then say that England’s leagues are over performing given the population difference to bigger countries.

My argument was specific to countries where historically football is the principle sport. In Europe most of the biggest, most successful and better attended leagues are based in countries with the largest populations.

England does over achieve when you consider the population I guess but we have the richest history and our professional league system is way above anywhere else in the world

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My argument was specific to countries where historically football is the principle sport. In Europe most of the biggest, most successful and better attended leagues are based in countries with the largest populations.

England does over achieve when you consider the population I guess but we have the richest history and our professional league system is way above anywhere else in the world

You cannot be serious shirley? [said in a John McEnroe voiceover stylee] Serial underachievers if anything. Scotland, on the other hand, serially OVER-achieved for a while back there. At least until they qualified for finals of any kind. Then things tended to go bizarrely Pete Tong on a regular basis. A bit like the Albion in EPL 2020-21. Sake! :cry:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
You cannot be serious shirley? [said in a John McEnroe voiceover stylee] Serial underachievers if anything. Scotland, on the other hand, serially OVER-achieved for a while back there. At least until they qualified for finals of any kind. Then things tended to go bizarrely Pete Tong on a regular basis. A bit like the Albion in EPL 2020-21. Sake! :cry:

Well no not entirely serious it was just a response to vagabonds reply.

With regard to Scottish football even now you can argue they over achieve (depending on how you measure that of course). A small country with a reasonable league system, a top flight with some big clubs, decent stadiums ect.
If, and its a big if clubs like Hibs, hearts and Aberdeen narrowed the gap between them and the old firm clubs it would seriously improve the overall quality and possibly push rangers and celtic on in European football

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
It irks me that the Scottish Premiership results and fixtures are listed above our Championship and League One and Two on most media outlets. It's another country that holds very little interest to me and most others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here