Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Do you read?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I mean books in whatever form. I have always read a lot, generally an hour at least a day, and if the book is good, often a lot longer. Since lockdown has started though, my reading has gone through the roof. I must read one book every 2 to 3 days now, and must have devoured well over a 100 in the last year. I tend to read mainly fiction but will indulge in biographies/history if the subject is interesting.

Anyone else become a bookworm during lockdown?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
yes, all the time, i read 111 books last year, not usually that many but lockdown helped. currently reading peter frankopan's the silk roads.

only ever a proper paper book, can't get onboard with a kindle or audiobooks.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I read quite a lot, see the what book are you currently reading thread.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I find books, predominantly sports biographies,so therapeutic, would recommend them to NSCers of all ages. ��

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
yes, all the time, i read 111 books last year, not usually that many but lockdown helped. currently reading peter frankopan's the silk roads.

only ever a proper paper book, can't get onboard with a kindle or audiobooks.

Kindle for me, mines over 10 years old. My missus goes to sleep long before me, so to be able to read when she has turned out the bedside light is very convenient. I do also read ‘ hard copy’ books, and often have one on the go at the same time as an ebook.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Always do my reading in the bath but tablets have a lot to answer for as I spend most of my time now playing games or watching Youtube. Massive backlog of books I need to read,

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Where do you people find the time? my life seems to be get up go to work, home eat paper work shower, and repeat.

I can’t work during lockdown, my business is shut and I’m shielding atm.
In normal times, in the evening, instead of watching the telly, there isn’t much tv I enjoy. And, in bed, before sleeping, at least an hour and sometimes in the middle of the night, if I can’t sleep.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I've normally got a few books on the go at any one time, typically a novel (currently the Shadow Kingby by Maaza Mengiste), a novel in Spanish (currently, and coincidentally with shadow in the title, The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón), and something non-fiction (currently Infinite Powers by Stephen Strogatz and rereading Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy sort of as a companion to the Philosophize This podcast).

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Where do you people find the time? my life seems to be get up go to work, home eat paper work shower, and repeat.

If you struggle to find time, I would recommend setting yourself a goal of something like 20 pages a day. You could read 10 pages when you first get up, or while your eating your breakfast and then 10 pages before going to bed. If you start by reading smaller manageable chunks, it starts to become easier and you'll probably find that soon you're able to find more time in your day to fit reading in. Also once you start getting used to reading chunks of 10 pages, you'll probably aslo find you want to read for longer periods of time, and quite often you find ways to. Once you get in the routine it gets easier.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I can’t work during lockdown, my business is shut and I’m shielding atm.
In normal times, in the evening, instead of watching the telly, there isn’t much tv I enjoy. And, in bed, before sleeping, at least an hour and sometimes in the middle of the night, if I can’t sleep.

I think reading before bed is the best time personally. Particualrly if I've been stressed about something. It stops me thinking about things because I'm focused on the words in front of me. I think its the best way to fall asleep as well. Read till you start nodding off.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
In recent years, I've read about 21-34 books each year. I like reading for an hour or so last thing at night, in the garden on a warm summer's day, or sat by the pool on holiday (I vaguely remember!).

Goodreads is a great website for readers, and is free to join; you can keep a list of your read books and also your 'want to read' texts. If you want, you can also give books a score (out of 5), write reviews, post questions about a book for others to answer or give advice about, and send/receive 'friend requests' to or from people who you know, or who share your tastes in literature, perhaps based on the genre you like most. All of these are voluntary, though - and you can set your privacy settings as you wish.

https://www.goodreads.com/

My annual tally, recorded on goodreads, is:
Goodreads.JPG

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Definitely reading more during lockdown. Running out of bookcase space. Pre-lockdown I'd normally try and recycle books via the BHF shop in London Road but that's not really been an option for a while

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I really don’t read. On holiday I might start a book, but rarely finish it, more often than not that’s it, I leave the book behind and forget about it. That said I have been known to take the same book on holiday two years apart to finish it because it was quite good.

In all honesty I find the screen or loudspeaker a much more enjoyable way of getting my entertainment.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I used to read a good amount of fiction but realised that I found the vast majority of endings rushed, too frenetic or disappointing. Any pleasure in reading has been diminished.

Since then i've moved to non-fiction a bit more. Problem with that is it provokes too much thought and I then i find I need to research and process via other books or the internet and I seldom read a whole book.

I dont think this is normal but it is me.

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
Been reading about the yorkshire ripper, as I was glued to the manhunt back in the day. Much prefer books rather than kindle versions as it feels more relaxed.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I mean books in whatever form. I have always read a lot, generally an hour at least a day, and if the book is good, often a lot longer. Since lockdown has started though, my reading has gone through the roof. I must read one book every 2 to 3 days now, and must have devoured well over a 100 in the last year. I tend to read mainly fiction but will indulge in biographies/history if the subject is interesting.

Anyone else become a bookworm during lockdown?
I genuinely don't trust anyone that doesn't read. Proper books though, not sports biogs or misery lit "Please Jeannie, Eat Something" type bollocks. Literature.

Oh and no books about The Krays or special forces.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I genuinely don't trust anyone that doesn't read.

Back in our uni days, a mate of mine had never read a full book- maybe he still never has. He got through a good chunk of Brian Clough's autobiography, but that was it. He's a smart guy and inquisitive, which made it all the weirder.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Back in our uni days, a mate of mine had never read a full book- maybe he still never has. He got through a good chunk of Brian Clough's autobiography, but that was it. He's a smart guy and inquisitive, which made it all the weirder.

If I'd never read a book, I wouldn't tell anyone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here