Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Argus Sh1t stirring again

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Just as we enter the business end of the season, they cover a SkyBet survey with the headline 'Albion fans blame Graham Potter'. A survey open to all fans, not just Brighton, but don't let that get in the way of a headline Adam Stenning. It seems that apart from Brian Owen, they have a bit of an agenda against Albion at times and don't half like to publish any negative stuff they can find. Having supported The Argus for many years, buying the post match Saturday Pink'un and loads of hard copy rather than free digital content, I admit I resent it. They may not be local anymore, but they have a local readership and it's hard enough for them to get their numbers up without trying to unsettle the Albion. Thank goodness the club and Potter are so far more professional than The Argus that they won't even notice it.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It's not an agenda against the Albion. They're just looking for the controversial headline that will generate page views as page views pays their wages. Think they couldn't give a toss about the Albion either way other than how can the Albion help generate some income.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Their website is impossible to read. As soon as you click on it, you're immediately festooned with ads, surveys, pop-up videos etc. Life's too short to go on the Argus website, it can die on its arse as far as I'm concerned, its unusable.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In fairness I know fans of other teams who are more supportive of Potter than some of our own fans on here :smile:

And no they are not all relegation rivals :lolol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just as we enter the business end of the season, they cover a SkyBet survey with the headline 'Albion fans blame Graham Potter'. A survey open to all fans, not just Brighton, but don't let that get in the way of a headline Adam Stenning. It seems that apart from Brian Owen, they have a bit of an agenda against Albion at times and don't half like to publish any negative stuff they can find. Having supported The Argus for many years, buying the post match Saturday Pink'un and loads of hard copy rather than free digital content, I admit I resent it. They may not be local anymore, but they have a local readership and it's hard enough for them to get their numbers up without trying to unsettle the Albion. Thank goodness the club and Potter are so far more professional than The Argus that they won't even notice it.

What do these Albion fans blame Potter for? To be fair, a lot of people on NSC blame him, so why not ones who read the Arsegas.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Their website is impossible to read. As soon as you click on it, you're immediately festooned with ads, surveys, pop-up videos etc. Life's too short to go on the Argus website, it can die on its arse as far as I'm concerned, its unusable.

100% this.

Ironically they probably miss out on Ad Revenue by making the website literally unusable. Very out of date tech mindset.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

I'd give Adam a bit of a break. It is incredibly rare that reporters write their headlines though that may be different at Argus level.

Also, a lot of fans do blame Potter for our current situation. You might not, but he is the manager of the club and we have won 3 home games in the last 16 months.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's not an agenda against the Albion. They're just looking for the controversial headline that will generate page views as page views pays their wages. Think they couldn't give a toss about the Albion either way other than how can the Albion help generate some income.

Agree with this,

We all saw Prince William replying to the reporter politely yesterday confirming that he hadn't spoken to his brother since the interview and that his family wasn't racist.

Today's headlines.

Daily Mail "WILLIAM BLASTS BACK AT RACE SLUR"

Daily Mirror "William on Harry, WE HAVEN'T SPOKEN"

Daily Express "HAUNTED BY THE RACE SLUR,WILLIAM STRIKES BACK"

Anything to sell their papers that may generate interest.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
It seems to is to be a given on this thread that people are convinced fans are blaming Potter despite numerous polls on NSC after every defeat the Potter out numbers don't exceed 20% so 1 in 5, not really 'a lot of fans' is it?

The Argus might have been better advised to go with 4/5ths of Albion fans content with Potter's leadership but that doesn't have the same resonance I guess...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
With the albion losing game after game I am really not in the mood for the argus sticking a negative oar in.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Agree with this,

We all saw Prince William replying to the reporter politely yesterday confirming that he hadn't spoken to his brother since the interview and that his family wasn't racist.

Today's headlines.

Daily Mail "WILLIAM BLASTS BACK AT RACE SLUR"

Daily Mirror "William on Harry, WE HAVEN'T SPOKEN"

Daily Express "HAUNTED BY THE RACE SLUR,WILLIAM STRIKES BACK"

Anything to sell their papers that may generate interest.

Tabloid newspapers are such a minority interest now that their headlines really don’t matter anymore. The default position of many on NSC (not you) is that anybody with a differing opinion has been indoctrinated by the newspapers. However, sales of these rags are nothing like they were a generation ago. A quick Google suggests the Argus was selling 10k copies in 2017 and that was in a downtrend. It’s quite possible they are now down to someone’s Nan in Woodingdean and all headlines are aimed at the poor old dear to keep her happy.

SAC

May 21, 2014
It seems to is to be a given on this thread that people are convinced fans are blaming Potter despite numerous polls on NSC after every defeat the Potter out numbers don't exceed 20% so 1 in 5, not really 'a lot of fans' is it?

The Argus might have been better advised to go with 4/5ths of Albion fans content with Potter's leadership but that doesn't have the same resonance I guess...

Your statement is just as inaccurate though, isn't it? On the last poll 65% said in and 35% were fence or out. You are assuming that all of "fence" and all of "in" are content with Potter's leadership.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
They can’t even get the regions they are covering right. It’s a shame because there are now generations of locals who have never had the benefit of some of our local press offerings - the Gazette, Herald and the Argus in its pomp.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Given the drivel they have been serving up as Albion news recently, I wonder if the club has stopped given them any access other than the weekly press conference and post match chats. I've not seen anything printed that's not been broadcast before. They're now resorting to ripping lines from the various fan-run podcasts. Sad state of affairs.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The Argus lost the plot many years ago when they started using journalists that clearly hadn't even got a GCSE in English. Their command of the written English language is appalling. And clearly they never even bother to check their copy to identify and correct errors in their text.

As a resident of Worthing I have no interest in a missing dog in Tunbridge Wells or grafitti in a side street in East Grinstead. If it's a local paper; it should report local news.

As for the website, I can only endorse the comments of others above.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here