Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Liam Bridcutt podcast - "I didn't want to leave"

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Unfortunately for him we were in cutting our cloth mode and he was certainly one of the stand out ‘cash in’ players to try and help balance the books.

Tbh I never felt he looked comfortable in any other system other than the Gus pivot ball receiver mode. His game wasn’t all round good enough to play in a two and for me he often looked lost when asked to do so.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Interesting.

My memory is that he downed tools under Garcia, but perhaps it is playing tricks on me.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Unfortunately for him we were in cutting our cloth mode and he was certainly one of the stand out ‘cash in’ players to try and help balance the books.

Tbh I never felt he looked comfortable in any other system other than the Gus pivot ball receiver mode. His game wasn’t all round good enough to play in a two and for me he often looked lost when asked to do so.

Nahh

I just think he is one of these (like big Shane Duffy) who was brilliant for us, but for whatever reason didn't settle at other clubs.

And Liam was brilliant for us. Two absolutely deserved player of the seasons. Spotted danger terrifically and always got us moving with progressive passes.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
"Former Albion midfielder Liam Bridcutt admits he never wanted to leave the club" - Argus.

"Liam Bridcutt reveals he never wanted to leave Brighton", above.

I think the correct word here would be "claims".

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
"Former Albion midfielder Liam Bridcutt admits he never wanted to leave the club" - Argus.

“In retrospect it was a massive error of judgement by me to chase the money and follow Gus to Sunderland, I should never have said I wasn’t in the right frame of mind to play for the Albion”

Is more like it imo :shrug:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Great player for us and deserved pots (twice?). It did sour a bit and he was comedy gold at Sunderland. One of those players that peaked at one club , system and manager and wasn't nearly as successful elsewhere. Fond memories of him though.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Great player for us but allegedly tapped up by Poyet, and downed tools. The alternative view is that Garcia played him out of position. Anyway, went to Sunderland and he was found out at a higher level.
Only good memories though and who will forget the last minute winner v Carlisle at the Withdean.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Quite.

"Not at one point did I want to leave the club"

**Hands in transfer request** ??? ??? ???

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
"Didn't want to leave" and "They couldn't pay me enough", if you want to leave for more money then you want to leave, many people stay in jobs for less money because they enjoy it or believe rewards will come later.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Quite.

"Not at one point did I want to leave the club"

**Hands in transfer request** ??? ??? ???

Indeed.... sounds like a player that was possibly mis-managed / represented by his agent because at the time he was in demand.

Still he has had a good career in the football league and brief spell in the PL and I don't think he will lose to much sleep

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Got two well deserved POTS but he had a choice and decided to follow Gus. He needs to take responsibility for that decision.

Strikes me a bit like Big Shane that in the right set up they can be absolutely outstanding and reach great heights, but if anything about that setup changes it can be a long way to fall. Although maybe that's more common in football than we think.

Along similar lines, Bamford anyone ???

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
A lot of opinions on this - I would (obviously say this) listen to the pod. He loved his time at the club and wasn't looking for a way out. Having spent an hour chatting to him, I do believe him - the players who come on are under no obligation to do so and get nothing from it for themselves, so would say it's fairly genuine.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Didnt want to leave mabye, but he did all the right things in order to do so. The headline there is making it seem like he was made to leave against his own will. I think what he means is he had no reason to actively want out of the club, but also found the lure of more money too tempting so went with the latter. As in without the Sunderland offer he would have been happy to stay, but the reality is the offer was there so off he went.

That deal also shows how crazy price tags are these days. We sold him for something like £3m. Buckley was sold for around £2.5million.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
A lot of opinions on this - I would (obviously say this) listen to the pod. He loved his time at the club and wasn't looking for a way out. Having spent an hour chatting to him, I do believe him - the players who come on are under no obligation to do so and get nothing from it for themselves, so would say it's fairly genuine.

He ABSOLUTELY downed tools under Oscar and there was definitely an Argus headline about him not being in the right frame of mind to play.

No one begrudged him the move to link up with his preferred manager but man just come out and say it how it was with none of this rose tinted revisionism.

But yes I’ll def listen to the pod too!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Football, the Albion and Me: Liam Bridcutt

The latest episode of the podcast is out with Liam Bridcutt, who reveals he never wanted to leave Brighton and wanted to be part of the project after Gus Poyet left - but wasn't given a new contract.

Liam's outspoken about the mess at Sunderland and Nottingham Forest, and says he's found a new home at Lincoln.

Listen: https://anchor.fm/footballthealbionandme and please share on Twitter.

remember when he was in cm pinging the ball about like socrates , what went wrong ...?? one of football's tragedies ...?? good player in a decent team in the day .

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Hmmm.... whether you 'believe' him or not, you have to recognise that there are two sides to the story, especially as some of his claims go against evidence from the time.

I haven't heard all of the interview. Did you ask if he regrets any of his actions/decisions? I'll have a proper listen later.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here