Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sheff Wednesday on the brink

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
https://theathletic.co.uk/2439562/2...-a-month-the-clubs-latest-accounts-explained/

Sheffield Wednesday will require “additional funding” if it is “to continue in operational existence”. Those are the words that cause the most concern from the latest set of the club’s accounts.

The accounts, which were filed over seven months late of the original July 31 deadline, are for the 2018-19 season and showed that in line with previous seasons, further significant investment will be required from owner Dejphon Chansiri if the club is to continue operating. For a team that is staring relegation to the third tier in the face, these are worrying times.

It also revealed that the much-discussed sale of Hillsborough to Chansiri-owned company Sheffield 3 Ltd has been moved to the most recent accounts from the 2017-18 set, as expected following the club’s battle with the EFL, which led to a six-point deduction.

Read full article on The Athletic

Appears they may not be around for too much longer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I appreciate that The Athletic is behind a subscription but that's its business model. It's not an excuse to post whole articles here in contravention of copyright. It's also only a matter of days since [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] reinforced this on another thread.

If people want to see the whole thing they can subscribe or, perhaps, just maybe, a DULLARD will be along shortly to put meat on the bones that is our own NSC spin on things.

I'm tempted to say "how sad" and suggest they need a MASSIVE payoff, seeing as their fans have been such bellends over the last few years (possibly longer) but, in reality, we've been there and we know what it means to be close to extinction. While a spell in League One won't do their egos any harm I'd certainly chuck into a virtual collecting bucket if it meant they continued to exist for us to laugh at. Long may they continue to be a professional football club without being particularly massive.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Whether we like it or not they are a big team (some would say MASSIVE), but for me it is a shame as they have a passionate fan base and always filled out the away end at The Amex.

I hope they keep going down and end up in L2, but continue playing for their fans as much as anything.

Who would have thought Rotherham would be a bigger team.....

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It's really sad and you can bet they won't be the only ones. Did it not say in the Telegraph the other day that half of championship clubs are on the brink? Like I said, sad times....

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Wonder what Darren Moore makes of it all, did he know the situation before he moved from Doncaster

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
For a while it looked like they might stay up. 7 points from safety (with a game in hand) and 12 more games to play is going to be tough.

I will enjoy them being relegated as I think all cheats should be punished.
But it is always terrible news when a club is genuinely at risk of going out of business.

Is that really the case here?
Or is it likely to be a Palace type of situation?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think there is some sensationalism here from the OP. A going concern comment from the auditors is a bit like clamydia, not pleasant, given a choice between having it and not having it I'd rather not, there's too much of it about at present, but unlikely to be life threatening. There are many other clubs in the Championship who had similar warnings in 2018/19 too.

Going concern Champ 19.jpg

If anyone wants to read a non paywall article on the accounts, a DULLARD spoke to the local paper on Tuesday night when they were published.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/why-the-going-concern-is-no-real-cause-for-concern-for-sheffield-wednesday-3160178

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
well past the brink if thats the situation two/three years ago. i imagine next year or year after that half the leagues will be bankrupt, FL and FA will have to change the rules or have so many on -12 it makes not difference.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think there is some sensationalism here from the OP. A going concern comment from the auditors is a bit like clamydia, not pleasant, given a choice between having it and not having it I'd rather not, there's too much of it about at present, but unlikely to be life threatening. There are many other clubs in the Championship who had similar warnings in 2018/19 too.

View attachment 134723

If anyone wants to read a non paywall article on the accounts, a DULLARD spoke to the local paper on Tuesday night when they were published.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/why-the-going-concern-is-no-real-cause-for-concern-for-sheffield-wednesday-3160178

But things have fundamentally changed since then haven't they.

Most Championship clubs were living unsustainably before the pandemic.

Now there are three (that I can think of) extra factors to consider going forward

Future interest on the debts incurred whilst they haven't had matchday income
Projected earnings for all clubs must have taken a serious hit. Even if the vaccination program allows full stadia, many will be wary or will have lost their jobs. Many local businesses who used to pay for corporate boxes will have gone.
The business interests of the owners will have been hit. This won't happen equally, some owners may have done well. But many who were subsidising their club will now be unable to do so.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I hope they don't go out of business, I wouldn't wish that on any club or fans. Football needs the solidarity of all fans in times like these, lets hope they can sort something out.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't think they are any more "on the brink" than they have been in recent years ?

The accounts say the owner needs to continue putting in money. As they have said before ?

We need Tony to continue putting in money unless we start selling stars every so often.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't think they are any more "on the brink" than they have been in recent years ?

The accounts say the owner needs to continue putting in money. As they have said before ?

We need Tony to continue putting in money unless we start selling stars every so often.

But it's more money than it was before

I don't know much about Chansiri or any of the other Championships owners business, but i'm guessing their resources are finite. There's only so long you can keep putting millions in.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I appreciate that The Athletic is behind a subscription but that's its business model. It's not an excuse to post whole articles here in contravention of copyright. It's also only a matter of days since [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] reinforced this on another thread.

If people want to see the whole thing they can subscribe or, perhaps, just maybe, a DULLARD will be along shortly to put meat on the bones that is our own NSC spin on things.

Agreed and if anyone wants a months pass I've got 5 going spare so feel free to drop me a DM and I'll happily pass one along. If you like it, subscribe long term - I'm currently paying £12 a year for it and it is absolutely worth it.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Whether we like it or not they are a big team (some would say MASSIVE), but for me it is a shame as they have a passionate fan base and always filled out the away end at The Amex.

I hope they keep going down and end up in L2, but continue playing for their fans as much as anything.

Who would have thought Rotherham would be a bigger team.....

Are they still 'big' though?

Out of the top flight for 20 years. Haven't won anything since the league cup in 90/91. Haven't won a league trophy since 58/59.

They've spent a large portion of their history in the top division, sure, but the last time they won that was about 90 years ago.

I don't normally get into 'big club / small club' discussions but some teams, like MASSIVE, get lumped in because they were good. Once. A long time ago.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A cracking example of mis management by a series of owners. The list is long though of clubs that should be run better. How many years were Leeds underperforming due to mis management. Wednesday are similar in my book.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

View attachment 134723

A cynic might suggest you only posted that link as it contained the phrase

"renowned football finance expert, Kieran Maguire"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here