Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
FBF1E0EC-2DB3-46DA-A2F2-67BFC67F3116.png

F55BBB4C-F6FE-411D-94C6-DB825ECCBBD4.png

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I don't know, I'd have to ask Alanis Morissette.

She doesn't know what ironic means either. Rain on your wedding day isn't ironic; it's just unfortunate. It would possibly be ironic if you'd travelled hundreds of miles to a hot country to get married and it was pissing down, whilst meanwhile it was cracking the flags back home, but I don't think that's implied in the lyrics.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
She doesn't know what ironic means either. Rain on your wedding day isn't ironic; it's just unfortunate. It would possibly be ironic if you'd travelled hundreds of miles to a hot country to get married and it was pissing down, whilst meanwhile it was cracking the flags back home, but I don't think that's implied in the lyrics.

I'd never heard that expression till moving up here :)

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
'A bit like an iron'

(With apologies to The Uxbridge English Dictionary:- which, among many other favourites, also features 'Cherish' - rather like a chair, 'soya milk' - looked in your fridge and 'Warthogs' - Geordie's clothing)

ISIHAC - Where us dads have got our jokes from for the last five decades. RIP Iain Pattinson & TBT.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
'A bit like an iron'

(With apologies to The Uxbridge English Dictionary:- which, among many other favourites, also features 'Cherish' - rather like a chair, 'soya milk' - looked in your fridge and 'Warthogs' - Geordie's clothing)

ISIHAC - Where us dads have got our jokes from for the last five decades. RIP Iain Pattinson & TBT.

Isn't an IRon a new Apple gadget for unwrinkling clothing :shrug:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I thought the definition of irony was a bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think it's more the definition of being incorrect about something

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle

Maybe the irony of the song title is the fact that nothing she mentions is ironic?

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011

On the contrary I believe Alanis Morissette would be the perfect person to ask. There is a theory that she was deliberately listing things that were not ironic for the more subtle irony that the person giving examples of irony doesn't understand irony. I like the theory but whether you agree with it or not she is still perfect because she has had spent the rest of her life since that song was written being told by people what irony really is. So she either understood it perfectly to begin with or she sure as hell should understand it by now!

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
'A bit like an iron'

Bravo

May I humbly add 'Countryside' - To kill Piers Morgan and 'Mastiff' ' Front row at a Brittany Spears concert.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here