Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] NSC Bloggers

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Having had more time on my hands than I would like I have found 'blogging' an enjoyable pastime during lockdown.

Out of boredom, I've recently started a memoir of my time growing up in the 70s with a bit of humour, seriousness and wry self deprecation.

I know some NScers have blogs of their own so thought it may be good to have a thread as it's hard to get readers in such a crammed online world. So here would be a good place for folk to put their latest scribbles.

I like reading independent stuff, especially social commentaries so everyone is guaranteed at least one interested party. It's better than the news at the moment.

https://queensparkchronicles.wordpress.com/- A life like everyone else

Last edited by a moderator:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Wow, a Life Like Everyone Else was a hearty read, and well done for recalling all that, I can certainly relate to some of those subject, must be of a similar age, I concur with your thoughts about Father Christmas . I shall have to read a few more of your posts.

Your blog makes mine seem a little lightweight, it’s inevitably about my hobby, it’s here https://philsfootieshirts.wixsite.com/mysite

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
On a related note, does anyone on here use Medium? I was thinking of starting something on there

I hadn't heard of it until I read your entry. I shall take a look. Good to see the thread serving a purpose already.

I use Wordpress for writing. Have done so for ten years.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I hadn't heard of it until I read your entry. I shall take a look. Good to see the thread serving a purpose already.

I use Wordpress for writing. Have done so for ten years.

To be frank I think part of the appeal is the potential to be paid for what you write, although I understand that doesn't happen for the majority of users, least of all me, with my interest in writing about niche football stories. I also wondered if it was a bit too America oriented.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Wow, a Life Like Everyone Else was a hearty read, and well done for recalling all that, I can certainly relate to some of those subject, must be of a similar age, I concur with your thoughts about Father Christmas . I shall have to read a few more of your posts.

Your blog makes mine seem a little lightweight, it’s inevitably about my hobby, it’s here https://philsfootieshirts.wixsite.com/mysite

I have a pretty strong memory, but the background is supported by a complete set of my late dad's diaries which I have for that period. So memories can then be matched and enhanced by audited narrative.

The plan is to try and build a social commentary of the time that builds around family life and the way communities were in those times. The first piece is more an introduction for myself to how I can weave stories. It's okay, but not quite Alan Bennett.

If you do read any more of my stuff avoid the 'Diary days' category. They'll depress you and send you to sleep. Which is pretty much a reflection of what lockdown has been for me until recently....

I've bookmarked your blog for a good read. I've virtually stopped reading the news now apart from checking the BBC pages now and then. Everything seems so toxic that reading lay writers stuff is so much more worthwhile an experience.

I know I've looked at your site before. I love an old football shirt me.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Having had more time on my hands than I would like I have found 'blogging' an enjoyable pastime during lockdown.

Out of boredom, I've recently started a memoir of my time growing up in the 70s with a bit of humour, seriousness and wry self deprecation.

I know some NScers have blogs of their own so thought it may be good to have a thread as it's hard to get readers in such a crammed online world. So here would be a good place for folk to put their latest scribbles.

I like reading independent stuff, especially social commentaries so everyone is guaranteed at least one interested party. It's better than the news at the moment.

https://themistyglass.wordpress.com/2021/03/10/a-life-like-everyone-else-1973-aged-4/- A life like everyone else

Thanks for sharing. Having been one of those geeky types that has been on the Internet for getting on for 20 years now I remember when blogging first got popular and then went out of fashion due to social media coming along. During this past year on lockdown I've become quite disillusioned with social media (or to be precise with how certain people use social media) and had turned to reading blogs instead of checking twitter or the like. So I've added your blog to the list of sites I occasionally check. Cheers.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
To be frank I think part of the appeal is the potential to be paid for what you write, although I understand that doesn't happen for the majority of users, least of all me, with my interest in writing about niche football stories. I also wondered if it was a bit too America oriented.

I've never been interested in making money from it, just writing something that folk enjoy. A friend of mine wrote a novel recently and I counselled him to make sure he was doing it for his own enjoyment. I've noticed over the years how writing is so good for the brain and fulfilling. I think seeing the potential for earning is a sideshow.

I did some Albion stuff which is very left field and more about the experience rather than the football itself. The last one was in 2017 on the trip to Wolverhampton.

https://themistyglass.wordpress.com/2017/04/16/are-we-there-yet/

But niche stuff, like you say, is what a lot of people like to read because it's different. It's also finding an outlet as we all write to get readers. NSC was always good for that. The above link had over 800 readers when I posted it in NSC the day after the game (it was a Bank Holiday weekend and just before the Wigan promotion match so everyone was on). So it makes it worth the effort.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I've bookmarked your blog for a good read. I've virtually stopped reading the news now apart from checking the BBC pages now and then. Everything seems so toxic that reading lay writers stuff is so much more worthwhile an experience.

Exactly my thoughts too. This is why I've "rediscovered" blogs recently. :thumbsup:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

https://themistyglass.wordpress.com/2021/03/10/a-life-like-everyone-else-1973-aged-4/- A life like everyone else

Your blog has closed???
D0791E7D-E7CD-4500-9BDA-D89740B6A1D4.jpeg

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes, sorry, I had three blogs that had run over the last ten years and I realised today that it had become confusing as I used them for different things (and two of them hardly at all).

I've merged everything into one now here:

https://queensparkchronicles.wordpress.com/

[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] Is it possible for me to change the first post ?

Done matey :thumbsup:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec

TBF [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] has quite a memory. He would probably know the colour underwear he was wearing on a particular day in 1981 if you asked him.

And as someone who shared an office with him, he never once forgot the HobKnobs!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
TBF [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] has quite a memory. He would probably know the colour underwear he was wearing on a particular day in 1981 if you asked him.

And as someone who shared an office with him, he never once forgot the HobKnobs!

Given Albion's need for a miraculous escape that year, and the need to win every match to survive, I can tell you now that the colour was often brown...

Rich teas as well as Hobnobs, I'll have you know.

You lot were SPOILT.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Final word is the giveaway. British tendency is towards orientated:)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

I met a couple of Brighton cabbies on an away trip to Burton a few years ago, they had an unreasonably good memory for past matches, away games going back decades, remembered the crowd, how they got there, the kit we wore and even the line ups. I struggle to remember who we played last month.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

https://queensparkchronicles.wordpress.com/- A life like everyone else

Thanks for posting that - I enjoyed reading it. You have a nice conversational style. Would like to read more when you get around to it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here