Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Missing Woman in London

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Wow some of the information in the reports of some national newspapers are comprehensive. Massive tip offs being given for sure.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Wow some of the information in the reports of some national newspapers are comprehensive. Massive tip offs being given for sure.

Or the result of journalists knocking on doors and giving a little bit of information "in the know" to get people to open up and talk about their discussions with police.

The next journalist turns up and the person gets confused who told them.

Before someone is charged the press are anarchic, because they can't be later for fear of being in contempt of court. The police used to have quite a close relationship with the press in situations like this, because at many times the press were "doing their work". However post Levenson and the multiple charges of misconduct in public life things have changed.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Or the result of journalists knocking on doors and giving a little bit of information "in the know" to get people to open up and talk about their discussions with police.

The next journalist turns up and the person gets confused who told them.

Before someone is charged the press are anarchic, because they can't be later for fear of being in contempt of court. The police used to have quite a close relationship with the press in situations like this, because at many times the press were "doing their work". However post Levenson and the multiple charges of misconduct in public life things have changed.

Yes I agree but also there was beyond doubt information that could only have come from the police. His name etc would have been the easiest to find out by doorstepping. How they got some of the other evidence less so.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yes I agree but also there was beyond doubt information that could only have come from the police. His name etc would have been the easiest to find out by doorstepping. How they got some of the other evidence less so.

You'd be surprised what the press can uncover without talking to the police. The police have talked to hundreds of people and have taken footage from dash cams etc...

All the press have to do is talk to those people.

I've read some of those reports and most of it is "obvious" or routine investigation.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
As an aside as a local resident, it's been oddly reported.

She didn't walk from "Clapham" to "Brixton".

No-one knows whether she crossed Clapham Common. That would be a bit odd to be honest, you'd just walk round the side although the police did search the area.

A picture floating round in the press is often being placed against a report that the last known sighting from a door bell cam, when clearly in the picture she was entering a building or a shop with a face mask on. Turns out that was CCTV footage of a Sainsburys local near where she lived as she bought a bottle of wine as she was setting out. That utterly confused me, the police have never released that final CCTV.

That must frustrate the hell out of the Police.

Dave Fishwick

Feb 28, 2021
London
very sad news. I have friends living a couple of roads away from Clarence Avenue where her phone last pinged. They've been scared to death to go out.

Intrigued to know the full ins and outs of how this escalated

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
When I first read this , I must admit I wasn’t that surprised, Brixton has always been a shady area., similar to Peckham . However I am shocked that it appears a serving policeman has murdered her . I’ve never heard of that in this country ,

No offence meant to anyone living in those areas.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
When I first read this , I must admit I wasn’t that surprised, Brixton has always been a shady area., similar to Peckham . However I am shocked that it appears a serving policeman has murdered her . I’ve never heard of that in this country ,

Don’t think the areas have got anything to do with this, and another serving policeman was convicted of killing his wife last year and there have been plenty of others down the years. Nothing for your right wing leanings here fella.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

No offence taken but my daughter lives there and your description is bollox. Anyway the area is irrelevant here, wasn't a local nutjob

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

If you’re here with your very thinly veiled agenda you will no longer be able to contribute to this thread.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

No offence taken but my daughter lives there and your description is bollox. Anyway the area is irrelevant here, wasn't a local nutjob

It WAS a shady area, going back perhaps 20-30 years now, but has significantly gentrified and filled up with young professionals, like the sadly deceased woman and presumably Rugrat's daughter.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Like many of your opinions, that one's out of date.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It WAS a shady area, going back perhaps 20-30 years now, but has significantly gentrified and filled up with young professionals, like the sadly deceased woman and presumably Rugrat's daughter.

Quite. I have spent a bit of time in Brixton in the last few years and it's a great place. How's this for gentrification - you can actually book dinner in the prison restaurant. It's shady days are long behind it.

I digress, this poor lady and her family. And a copper being questioned? Very strange.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Quite. I have spent a bit of time in Brixton in the last few years and it's a great place. How's this for gentrification - you can actually book dinner in the prison restaurant. It's shady days are long behind it.

I’m currently reading an Oxford World’s Classics edition of Arthur Conan Doyle spooky stories and in one the hero mentions he lives in Brixton. A modern footnote says that at the time (1880s) Brixton was a very posh and respectable area. Seems the shady days were the blip rather than the norm.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m currently reading an Oxford World’s Classics edition of Arthur Conan Doyle spooky stories and in one the hero mentions he lives in Brixton. A modern footnote says that at the time (1880s) Brixton was a very posh and respectable area. Seems the shady days were the blip rather than the norm.

Interesting. I think a lot of London suffered a fall into disrepair during the early to mid 20th century and only started to emerge as desirable areas again in the 1990's.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Indeed, it was up the hill away from the industrial grime of central London, but when central London gentrified and became more a financial and commercial centre, the 'inner city' elements moved outwards to this outer ring, into the vast swathes of new terraced housing and latterly the council estates. This has now progressed further such that these areas have become more genteel (albeit still full of terraces, just £1M quaint old terraces...)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I guess the police must be approaching the time where they have to either charge or release, unless they successfully apply for additional time to question the suspect.

A truly bizarre and horrific case.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brixton has always been a shady area

What’s shady about craft beer bars, third-wave coffee cafes and overpriced street food? My take is it’s wanky, pretentious and expensive...it has many other positives as well.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here