Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Missing Woman in London

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
There was that chap accused of the murder of Jo Yeates in Bristol who was basically portrayed as a psyco, weirdo, pedo oddball from the off.
Wasn't the murderer. Life ruined.

This seems a little more conclusive.

Christopher Jeffries; I think he was only ever arrested (on the basis of very little evidence) but not charged (as is also currently the case here), but immediately assumed guilty by the press because he 'looked the type'.

I would make the argument that no details should be published until a person has been charged, but then there's the case of Rebecca Leighton who was charged for the Stepping Hill hospital murders back in 2011 and spent considerable time in police custody to boot. It seemed nailed on, going only off press coverage, that she was guilty. She was not.

You would assume from what we know about this case that there's a good probability that the person named is involved, however we simply don't know. On the balance of that, and in the interest of the victim, her family and the [merely at this stage] accused, I think it's best not to speculate.

Last edited:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes, that was despicable and he suffered for a period of time but I don't think his life was ruined long-term. He got, if I remember correctly, some serious financial compensation from the gutter press through the legal system.

If only money could actually make things right

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You can always rely on the Met Police to yet again damage and erode the public trust in the Police by employing yet another wrongun. Other forces must be shaking their heads in dismay.

Not really - with over 40,000 officers in the Met, preventing an occasional 'wrong 'un' getting in is impossible....................also might have only recently turned wrong 'un................who knows.........

Must be far more than meets the eye to this case.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Christopher Jeffries; I think he was only ever arrested (on the basis of very little evidencet) but not charged (as is also currently the case here), but immediately assumed guilty by the press because he 'looked the type'.

I would make the argument that no details should be published until a person has been charged, but then there's the case of Rebecca Leighton who was charged for the Stepping Hill hospital murders back in 2011 and spent considerable time in police custody to boot. It seemed nailed on, going only off press coverage, that she was guilty. She was not.

You would assume from what we know about this case that there's a good probability that the person named is involved, however we simply don't know. On the balance of that, and in the interest of the victim, her family and the [merely at this stage] accused, I think it's best not to speculate.

I guess this is just another protocol that exists for good reason but is totally blind-sided by the internet and social media. 15 / 20 years ago if the police didn’t release a name that was pretty much that. But in this case, even though the police aren’t naming the arrested person I now know their name and have seen their photo, as have millions of others probably.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I guess this is just another protocol that exists for good reason but is totally blind-sided by the internet and social media. 15 / 20 years ago if the police didn’t release a name that was pretty much that. But in this case, even though the police aren’t naming the arrested person I now know their name and have seen their photo, as have millions of others probably.

One local Kent news agency has the story on their website with an associated video of the house search and a car being craned onto the back of a lorry.

So now everyone knows where the accused lives too.

I think it was them who first broke the name.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
One local Kent news agency has the story on their website with an associated video of the house search and a car being craned onto the back of a lorry.

So now everyone knows where the accused lives too.

I think it was them who first broke the name.

It's live on TV outside his house

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's not live, that's Kent online footage taken from the web and shot by the look of it on a mobile phone.

It was live reporter standing outside the bloody house. What is wrong with you FFS

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm not suggesting either of them protected someone they knew was a murderer but Carr knowingly provided a false alibi. The Sutcliffe legal case was because Private Eye and others said she was attempting to benefit financially from his crimes, nothing to do with whether she knew or suspected he was the ripper, or whether she protected him.

"One other newspaper which formed part of her legal action, the News of the World did not settle. When the case came to court in December 1990, details emerged which demonstrated that she had benefitted financially from her husband's crimes. The jury found for the News of the World, and she was ordered to pay the legal costs of both sides in the case"

You are right. I read up on her after my post and saw she was diagnosed as schizophrenic early in there relationship ..... What a couple. They never did appear on Mr and Mrs did they ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Justice should be seen to be done yes. But not before they are even charged. Justice is only served at the point of conviction.

Other people may come forward alleging other crimes, but that doesn't affect whether the individual should be charged, tried or found guilty or not of these crimes. Jurors are specifically told to set other offences aside in their deliberations later down the line.

No, it doesn't affect whether an individual is charged but it could have an impact. The obvious example is Jimmy Savile who was never charged with a crime but he was reported several times. If he'd been arrested (and publicly so) then even more people could have come forward.

What actually happened is that when a complaint was made, police believed a knight of the realm, a regular guest of the PM over accusations from schoolgirls. It was easy to dismiss one or two accusations, it would have been a lot harder to dismiss several dozen.

When it comes to a court case, jurors aren't generally told to set aside other offences. If they've been convicted, then that's not even mentioned. I served on a jury once where the accused was already in prison: no-one on the jury knew this, so it couldn't affect our decision (we found him not guilty BTW)

If the accused hasn't been charged with additional offences, the fact that he's been accused of them won't ever be mentioned. A prosecutor who did would be in serious trouble.

And yes, there have been cases where naming a suspect has had unfortunate consequences - Jeffries is the prime example - but what should happen there is much tighter restrictions on what could be printed. It wasn't his name that was the issue, it was the reams of stuff about him being a weirdo. He got well compensated for it, but I'm not sure it was enough, considering what he'd been through.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That is me as a kid

And me as a 60 year.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Remains found in Ashford, Kent :-(

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
I live 5 mins from Clapham Common and walk these streets all the time. Sarah's poster is everywhere. Feels personal. Gutting news.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Confirming a identity "may take some considerable time.". Grim.

RIP.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Looked pretty clear to me on the news that it was a reporter on meridian news on the street describing the scene. Looked nothing like mobile footage
Oh, as the post was made the video was playing on BBC News. I clearly don't receive Meridian.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It was live reporter standing outside the bloody house. What is wrong with you FFS
Please calm down.

I thought you were referring to BBC news which was playing at very moment you posted and playing the web footage. I live in London and don't get Meridian.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Please calm down.

I thought you were referring to BBC news which was playing at very moment you posted and playing the web footage. I live in London and don't get Meridian.

Sorry but jumping down my throat and after last evening I was expecting a little humility

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here