Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we too nice?

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Pondering our current situation, and the way that (regardless of manager/coaching staff) we always seem to be scrabbling to safety at the end of each season, I wondered if I’m alone in thinking that we’re a bit squeaky clean/naive when it comes to gamesmanship.

I can think of at least two occasions in the last month when the judicious scything down of an opposition player near the halfway line, would have cost us a yellow card, and salvaged us a point.

Similarly, while the type of sh*thousery that Murray used to indulge in has got harder to get away with in the VAR era, is there something to be said for the kind of forward who whispers sweet nothings to the opposition defenders all match, and tempts them to show a lack of discretion when it comes to putting the boot in? Is anyone in our forward line showing signs of being “chatty” in that way?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yes we are

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I was wondering if in the VAR era, a gobby Craig Bellamy type would have much more success than prior to VAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
It’s not nice it’s nouce.
Welbeck should have taken the yellow v Palace (as Veltman had done about 10 minutes earlier) but the difference is one is an experienced defender who spotted the danger early and the other isn’t.
We have the yips in front of goal and shit ourselves if we concede set pieces in the last 2 minutes.
Staying up is going to depend on getting Webster fit ASAP and IMO getting Propper back in the side alongside Bissouma. We can’t play Gross, MacArgie, Trossard and Lallana in the same team, now that is too nice, one needs to drop out, right now based on current form that would be Trossard and I’d move Gross forward. I would also take Gross off all set pieces, give them to Mac.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
I would certainly say that we play with a high level of naivity I havent seen for some time.

If you look at a lot of teams there is always an element in that team who will provide the professional foul, the nudge into the back or even quite obvious roughouse tactics if they think it's required. Under Potter, and this also stems from Hughton too, the policy of not having 'dickheads' in our team has taken the black arts element out of our game and we're left with a bunch of players who will shy away from it.

One thing for sure, if Albion do find themselves in a scrap come the end of the season (they will) then they'd better grow a pair before it's all too late.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I agree we are definitely way too nice , the opposition defenders know our lads try and stay up for one thing . I would hate us to become a bunch of diving divas , but sometimes our lads make it easy for the ref to not have to make a decision ( if that makes any sense ) .

If you look at our last few games , every time one of their little girls goes anywhere near BDB they fall over like ten pins , so a descent ref wouldn`t go a miss once in a while . But maybe it`s time for a little " sauce for the goose " approach ? .

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think we are a bit too nice.

But I think our current issue is that we don't have many natural leaders on the pitch.
Dunk is a great player and an ok (but nothing special) leader. I think Webster is more of a natural leader than Dunky.
At the moment, the only other leader on the pitch is Veltman ( and Lallana when fit)

We have made necessary squad changes, which have improved our play, but the likes of Murray/Duffy/Stephens/Ryan were leaders on the pitch.

I think it's a gap that is costing us.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I agree we are definitely way too nice , the opposition defenders know our lads try and stay up for one thing . I would hate us to become a bunch of diving divas , but sometimes our lads make it easy for the ref to not have to make a decision ( if that makes any sense ) .

If you look at our last few games , every time one of their little girls goes anywhere near BDB they fall over like ten pins , so a descent ref wouldn`t go a miss once in a while . But maybe it`s time for a little " sauce for the goose " approach ? .

Well then there's Connolly......

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I don't think we are that nice , the yellows and reds bare that out compared to other teams ( if given correctly of course) .

Potter is a 4th officals dream , though the other day he did go batshit Hughton and chucked a innocent water bottle to the floor .

If you watch managers like Dyche , for instance they're constantly in the 4th official and Linesmen ear we are very very nice , we simply don't do that , and haven't for years .

I'm not sure of the benefits of screaming at officials has but certainly as a linesman they must hear and take on board some of the guff managers scream at them .

I noticed the non English speaking Bielsa ranting at the 4th official v West Ham the other night , it must have really pissed off the 4th official because in the end he lost his shit and pushed the linguistically challenged loon back to his bucket .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here