Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Piers Morgan leaves GMB.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It just seems sad that in a free country with free speech a bloke voices an opinion on a matter (which is shared with a sizeable chunk of the British population, incidentally - judging by the polls) and is out of a job within hours.

I'm not a fan of his but it is crucial in a fully functioning democracy to have robust debate, differing points of view and opinions scrutinised and challenged. In his own way Morgan fulfilled this function well - sometimes I agree with him, sometimes I don't - and it is disappointing that - inevitably - someone of character will be replaced by someone of blandness.

This isn't about an opinion. It is about values and standards and what his role should be.

If he thinks she is not telling the truth he is entitled to feel that way. But the issue of mental health has become a major one in recent times. Any presenter with a sense of standards would, even if they doubted her testimony, only challenge it if they had evidence to do so. He didn't. So he set a standard that doesn't match most people's values.

He should have said nothing, understood the sensitivities around the subject, and just let it go. But he couldn't could he ?

He was sacked for being irresponsible in his role. This age of presenters becoming the centre of attention rather than subject matters themselves is utterly tiresome and the reason I don't watch this stuff anymore. Morgan is a pure example of the dumbing down of our media. Good riddance. Although I have no doubt he will be back again soon for some lowest denominator titillation.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
He'll resurface on GB News which is due to be launched shortly fronted by Andrew Neil.
They'll be delighted because Morgan will bring lots of viewers with him which will help advertising revenue.

Was going to say I'd be willing to put money on this whole thing being a publicity stunt allowing him to shift over to GB News.

Would not be surprised to find Farage with a show on there before long either.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The bully has gone.

It’s a funny thing, people thought of him as a hero when he attacked Hancock and Boris, but despicable when he attacked Megan Markle, Corbyn, Diane Abbott or Remoaners (his repeated term).

Great entertainment, but his style of shouting over interviewees with his long monologues, wasn’t journalism or interviewing.

His gutter press DNA shone through.

Perhaps he could do his own show with Kay Burley who has a similar technique.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I caught a glimpse of him walking off set this morning, what a wet, he can dish it out but he can't take it.

I don't watch the programme very often but get the feeling the show is more about him and his ego than the guests.

Funny he is quite likeable on his celebrity interview show (whatever it's called) gives his guests the opportunity to talk and doesn't talk over them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've not been following it that closely but didn't he walk off during an interview? I don't think a presenter should walk off, that is the main reason he's been axed

No, it wasn't an interview, it was during a debate with one of the other presenters.

And the reason he's been binned is because ITV have a fairly major mental health campaign on the go - whilst Morgan went on their flagship morning show and accused someone who said they'd been driven to thoughts of suicide, of lying. That will have spooked the suits upstairs (41,000 complaints), so off he popped.

Shame innit.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
He's had it in for her ever since she ghosted him, after they "had some drinks"

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I genuinely cannot stand Morgan....Mrs D prefers watching GMB, so I have to stay out of the room if that’s on. He’s a smug, hypocritical wanker who never lets his guests get a word in unless it’s something he can jump on to belittle them, or suits his agenda.

From what I’ve seen on SM today, and read, in this case I kind of understand where he’s coming from though....the permanently-offended and righteously indignant have taken the interview at face value (presumably because it suits their agenda, whether it’s mental health, race or anti-royalist), all he seems to have done, in a particularly flouncy way, is say he doesn’t believe a word of it. He’s not the only one.

Still a **** though.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Never forgiven the piece of filth for this.
aff560730ce088eeafbfdbba4c7d6631.jpg

He has the blood of British service personnel on his hands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My word, we've finally agreed on something :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I caught a glimpse of him walking off set this morning, what a wet, he can dish it out but he can't take it.

I don't watch the programme very often but get the feeling the show is more about him and his ego than the guests.

Funny he is quite likeable on his celebrity interview show (whatever it's called) gives his guests the opportunity to talk and doesn't talk over them.

Mental health is such a hot potato right now, so in the face of someone articulately pulling apart his incessant hounding of MM after she revealed she'd had thoughts of suicide (whether you believe her or not), Morgan was suddenly in the rare position of not having any manner of retort, no smart-arse response, and nothing to say. He had no comeback, so he took the cowards option, and flounced out of the studio.

Lovely stuff.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If you aren't overburdened by demanding employment in the morning, ever thought of going out for a walk? Or something?

FFS?

:wink:

Nearest thing ITV is ever going to get to a Shock Jock cock. Doubly funny to have grinning iriot dumb waitress Susanna Reid sat next to him nodding and trying and failing to get a meaningful word in edgeways. Comedy Gold H :lolol:

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Im happy for Susanna Reid.
One of the most lovely ladies on TV(apart from her choice of club and boyfriends).
Winds me up how that bloke talks over her and contests every opinion she has(usually spot on opinions),just because he likes the sound of his own voice,she deserves miles better than that.
Hopefully they make her the main person but I'm guessing the weatherman will be piers replacement which would be a decent pairing I guess.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This isn't about an opinion. It is about values and standards and what his role should be.

If he thinks she is not telling the truth he is entitled to feel that way. But the issue of mental health has become a major one in recent times. Any presenter with a sense of standards would, even if they doubted her testimony, only challenge it if they had evidence to do so. He didn't. So he set a standard that doesn't match most people's values.

He should have said nothing, understood the sensitivities around the subject, and just let it go. But he couldn't could he ?

He was sacked for being irresponsible in his role. This age of presenters becoming the centre of attention rather than subject matters themselves is utterly tiresome and the reason I don't watch this stuff anymore. Morgan is a pure example of the dumbing down of our media. Good riddance. Although I have no doubt he will be back again soon for some lowest denominator titillation.

I take your point, but I don't think we're going to agree on this. I'm cutting Morgan some slack here - he was clearly incensed by the attack on the members and institutions of the Royal Family, he feels passionately about that and it overrode any concern he might otherwise have had for her mental health. I think a lot of viewers of the Oprah interview would feel the same as him, and draw similar conclusions.

I thought Susannah Reid articulated the mental health issue well, and I get Alex Beresford's points too. I just don't think anybody on GMB has to resign or fall out over this, and it is a shame it got personal in the end. I suspect when the dust settles Morgan will realise he was unwise to simply dismiss Harry and Meghan's mental health issues, but also I wouldn't be surprised if Susanna Reid felt similarly to Morgan that Meghan and Harry had trashed our monarchy.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Good riddance! Mind you, never watched him anyway!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Im happy for Susanna Reid.
One of the most lovely ladies on TV(apart from her choice of club and boyfriends).
Winds me up how that bloke talks over her and contests every opinion she has(usually spot on opinions),just because he likes the sound of his own voice,she deserves miles better than that.
Hopefully they make her the main person but I'm guessing the weatherman will be piers replacement which would be a decent pairing I guess.
You are joking? All she ever did was say the opposite to Morgan, even though she probably agreed with everything he stands for. I can't stand looking at her pouting palace face!

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The bully has gone.

It’s a funny thing, people thought of him as a hero when he attacked Hancock and Boris, but despicable when he attacked Megan Markle, Corbyn, Diane Abbott or Remoaners (his repeated term).

Great entertainment, but his style of shouting over interviewees with his long monologues, wasn’t journalism or interviewing.

His gutter press DNA shone through.

This

Once a ****, always a ****. Who knew?

And this

Most of the same world knew there was NOTHING worth watching on ITV for years. *shrug*

And this. I think The Big Match, Spitting Image and Clive James are the only three good programmes ever to have been on Council Telly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nearest thing ITV is ever going to get to a Shock Jock cock. Doubly funny to have grinning iriot dumb waitress Susanna Reid sat next to him nodding and trying and failing to get a meaningful word in edgeways. Comedy Gold H :lolol:

As Marvin the Paranoid Android said, when invited to watch the double sunset over the planet Magrathea: I've seen it. It's rubbish.

:wink: Hope you're well!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here