Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Proposed new Champions League Format

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I don't see a thread on this yet. Seems to me that it would be a very bad thing for non top 6 ish clubs. There is the risk of the Prem being cut back to 18 clubs and without that there will be even more fixture congestion and games scheduled at strange times. FA cup downgraded even more. What right does uefa and eca have to ' target one third international and two thirds domestic ' for our football ?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56325695

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
For me it’s the talk of no big transfers between teams in it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This is what Operation Big Picture was about.

Float something horrendous, then a few months later when you float something a bit less horrendous people will accept it as the lesser of two evils.

It's one third being proposed now ... but they will be back for more

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't see a thread on this yet. Seems to me that it would be a very bad thing for non top 6 ish clubs. There is the risk of the Prem being cut back to 18 clubs and without that there will be even more fixture congestion and games scheduled at strange times.

I really, really can't see 14 PL teams agreeing to cut the league to 18 teams. OK, you'd get the big 6 and maybe Everton and Leicester but can you see the likes of us, Fulham, Burnley, West Brom, Newcastle, Sheff Utd, Crystal Palace, Southampton and Leeds going along with it (and while we'll lose three of those I can't see any of their replacements going for it either)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I really, really can't see 14 PL teams agreeing to cut the league to 18 teams. OK, you'd get the big 6 and maybe Everton and Leicester but can you see the likes of us, Fulham, Burnley, West Brom, Newcastle, Sheff Utd, Crystal Palace, Southampton and Leeds going along with it (and while we'll lose three of those I can't see any of their replacements going for it either)

You are right

No way will the PL clubs vote to reduce numbers in the league.

No way will the FA limit FA Cup games or international friendlies

No way will the Football League end the Carabao Cup

No way will FIFA end international matches like the Nations League of limit WC qualifiers

They all makes money out of fixtures, so they'll all keep adding them and hope that others blink

Meanwhile more and more players will keep getting injured and matches will mean less and less because there are just so many of them

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I don't see a thread on this yet. Seems to me that it would be a very bad thing for non top 6 ish clubs. There is the risk of the Prem being cut back to 18 clubs and without that there will be even more fixture congestion and games scheduled at strange times. FA cup downgraded even more. What right does uefa and eca have to ' target one third international and two thirds domestic ' for our football ?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56325695

This was the earlier proposal from October

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?383216-Liverpool-and-Manchester-United-lead-%91European-League%92-breakout-league-idea/page4&highlight=champions+league

I can't see the PL voting for an 18 team league, so the answer is the 5 English clubs that qualify for this revamp should play their U23s when the fixtures clash, which would possibly make it harder for them to qualify for the CL each season.

The other option may be PL1 and PL2 which would no doubt get some backing from Championship clubs

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
thery should hoof PL clubs out of the league cup and the winners still get a euro spot.

CL is dead on its feet isn't it ? does anyone watch it ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
thery should hoof PL clubs out of the league cup and the winners still get a euro spot.

CL is dead on its feet isn't it ? does anyone watch it ?

well they make it difficult sticking it on pay for channels. i know people who follow CL and they are only interest in the big clashes, Man U v Juve, Bayer v Madrid etc. more teams isnt going to make them watch any more, there are no additional big teams. i dont know if UEFA are misjuding this, or have some market survey data that says across Europe there is demand for more games like Leicester v Atalanta. or it may simply be a case of build it and the advertisers come, regardless of true viewing figures.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
All kinds of things wrong with these proposals. Entry for clubs of 'historical significance' thats a closed shop. Reducing the PL is not a bad idea in itself but not so that big teams can play other big teams. Even the fans of these 'big' teams don't want that?

Unless fans from all countries act we are moving to a invite only european super league and this is no more than UEFA's attempt to forestall that day. This is a sport rapidly ceasing to be one and becoming an ongoing media event instead. Then of course the pressure will begin for a World League once the american and chinese clubs get strong enough.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I’d be quite happy with uefa going their own way and taking whoever they want full time. The English leagues would then get to their own level and I’d be quite happy to support the Albion in this, whatever standard they end up at. Not all the good players are going to be able to join the better teams in the euro leagues anyway.
I just get fed up with the money and greed that’s taken over what is simply a sporting pastime- a game of football. If the pandemic has taught us anything, it’s that there’s more to life than spending all your money on footie.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
If the big clubs left the prem, the money would go with them. The rest of the football league would see clubs go bust, with the Premier league probably seeing a lot of the middling or smaller clubs go bankrupt as they need that TV money. This would effect the entire footballing structure in the UK. People saying that they would enjoy the Albion in any league are missing the issue that atm we rely on the Premier league money, if that goes away we will fold.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If the big clubs left the prem, the money would go with them. The rest of the football league would see clubs go bust, with the Premier league probably seeing a lot of the middling or smaller clubs go bankrupt as they need that TV money. This would effect the entire footballing structure in the UK. People saying that they would enjoy the Albion in any league are missing the issue that atm we rely on the Premier league money, if that goes away we will fold.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

honestly think if the top 6 clubs* proper left, the remaining clubs would make a decent go of a reformed league. sure there wouldnt be as much money, but it would still have a big draw and get a decent TV deal to support decent gates. sure it'd be disappointing to not beat Liverpool and Spurs, but more competitive interesting league. we've survived worse things, and we still went along in our thousands.

precisely which these are, and how they work that our is an exercise for others. especially UEFA who want to avoid a England heavy league but the big money is already here.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
honestly think if the top 6 clubs* proper left, the remaining clubs would make a decent go of a reformed league. sure there wouldnt be as much money, but it would still have a big draw and get a decent TV deal to support decent gates. sure it'd be disappointing to not beat Liverpool and Spurs, but more competitive interesting league. we've survived worse things, and we still went along in our thousands.

precisely which these are, and how they work that our is an exercise for others. especially UEFA who want to avoid a England heavy league but the big money is already here.

I don't think a European Super League would have six English clubs, they'd swamp it. I believe the Swiss proposal is for five.

That would leave an interesting bunch of teams for the odd one out to join: Everton, Leicester, Villa, Leeds, Newcastle - a nice mix of good teams and well supported ones. A league like that would certainly get some TV money, particularly if they throw Rangers and Celtic into the mix

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the right thing to do at this time - when fans and football clubs are suffering after a year of Covid - is for UEFA to put all this talk to one side and prioritise on making the European domestic leagues viable and strong.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Howabout a Champions Cup, where the winners only of each European League (plus the winners of the last year's Champions Cup) have a knock-out tournament. Home and Away legs, with draws for the next round, so you never know who might get whom. Then the winners of that cup really would be the champion of champions.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
To be honest. I find the Champions League Group stages really boring.

They are too long and drawn out and many of the matches become meaningless very quickly because some teams have either virtually qualified of virtually been knocked out after the 4th game in the group.

Might as well make it total knock out from the start with no seedings but they won't do that because they alway hope that the biggest money spinning teams will get to the last 8 every year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here