Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Too good to go down"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Newcastle and West Ham, in the last 10 years or so?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Newcastle and West Ham, in the last 10 years or so?

That West Ham team that got relegated should have been top half - incredible group of players. Didn't they get 40 points or have I mixed them up with another team?

The Leeds team that got relegated in the early Noughties was decent too

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In the last twenty years, the Leeds, West Ham and Newcastle sides are frequently mentioned as teams "too good to go down but who still went down". Brighton would not be in that category. Its a bottom six squad in terms of quality,. Ask a random neutral what surprises them the most: the style of play or the results. No one outside Brighton would remember it as a team too good to go down.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
That West Ham team that got relegated should have been top half - incredible group of players. Didn't they get 40 points or have I mixed them up with another team?

The Leeds team that got relegated in the early Noughties was decent too

These two immediately come to mind for me also.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Leeds but, most famously Manchester City who actually slid from the equivalent of the Premiership straight down to tier 3 !

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
Too good on paper or style of play? I'd say if you're bottom 3 after 38 games then you deserve what you get, however pretty the football is to watch.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Massive could well be a far too bigger club to go down AGAIN!

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Too good on paper or style of play? I'd say if you're bottom 3 after 38 games then you deserve what you get, however pretty the football is to watch.

It’s a valid point you make and personally I won’t waver in my support of the long term ambitions TB has but do you think he might amend his beliefs in favour of pragmatism to survivor or do you think he’d go full tilt on trying to finally buy the right quality of players to get us up and then keep us up if we did?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
In the last twenty years, the Leeds, West Ham and Newcastle sides are frequently mentioned as teams "too good to go down but who still went down". Brighton would not be in that category. Its a bottom six squad in terms of quality,. Ask a random neutral what surprises them the most: the style of play or the results. No one outside Brighton would remember it as a team too good to go down.

Have we been relegated already! When did that happen?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
In recent ish times I remember the Blackpool team that played wide open expansive football under Holloway , they won a few games early on in the season like 3-2 4-3 sort of scoreline and the media were comparing their attacking style to Brazil but their defending akin to Sunday league pub team , much like Brighton they were exciting to watch but came up short to the sorrow of the media .

I don't think we are quite as bad at defending as that Blackpool team were , but the similarity is there for all to see .

If we do go down then I think we will always be remembered as the best ever Premier League team to have been relegated by a country mile .

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
If we do go down then I think we will always be remembered as the best ever Premier League team to have been relegated by a country mile .

No way, imo you are looking through striped tinted glasses. We are no better than Fulham or Newcastle. No one except us will remember our good football if we go down. Anyway Fulham play good football like us, will they be remembered as the best team to go down ever if they get relegated? No

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here