Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Goal nets and stanchions

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
About a week ago in a thread about hitting the woodwork, Bry Nylon posted this:

Swanny, I fully realise I am opening myself up to unimaginable levels of ridicule here, but being a goal frame / goal net nerd, I would be GENUINELY fascinated to read that, if you would be so kind as to post it or provide a link?

(Provided it's in English, obvs, and not Hurdy-Gurdy.)

The topic is pretty interesting actually. Today pretty much every league in England are using box shaped goals but 30 years ago the variety was massive.

In the first PL season, Chelsea had a goal looking like this:

stamfordbridge1992.jpg

Arsenal on the other hand had this, a narrow goal with red coloured things to keep the shape of the net.

highbury1992.jpg

Today, Leyton Orient seem to be the heterotopia of the goal net world. Every other club got box shaped goals with some kind of sticks behind them to keep the shape of the goal but Orient kept their D-shaped stanchions to give the goals the kind of shape that makes the net bounce in a nice way when someone scores a banger.

133912458_10164514276495082_6220657069855932055_n.jpg

Anyone got some old favorites or weird shapes to share?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Memories of The Big Match in the 70's were both West Ham and QPR having those really shallow goals with about a yard from goal line to back of the net.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
The one's at Upton Park were good,the net was quite shallow

Tbf the Goldstones were nice too,the stanchion about 6 inches below the crossbar

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The D shape stanchion surrounded by fans look is a good one

goldstone.JPG

Any of you other poor sods have to build and then take down shitloads of these for a summer tournament? My first effort was like Ray Charles making Ikea flatpack.

goal.JPG

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don’t know if anyone remembers Trevor Brooking’s goal vs Hungary when it got lodged in the circular stanchions in 1981/82 World Cup qualifier. Similar to the Orient ‘d’ but with a loose net if I recall.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Swanny, where do you find the time or inclination to delve into things like this? It is actually quite interesting though in a sad, nerdish, real football fan kind of way. I too recall the WH and QPR nets - it added to that feeling at Upton Park that the crowd were practically on the pitch during the game!
I think I recall Hampden Park having those really deep goals like your Chelsea pic.
Thanks for your research!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I don’t know if anyone remembers Trevor Brooking’s goal vs Hungary when it got lodged in the circular stanchions in 1981/82 World Cup qualifier. Similar to the Orient ‘d’ but with a loose net if I recall.

See post above! But I don't know how to insert it as an actual video.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Memories of The Big Match in the 70's were both West Ham and QPR having those really shallow goals with about a yard from goal line to back of the net.

QPR goes a bit further back these days.

Guess what I used to check?

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Vaguely remember Clive Allen scoring for Palace

But it rebounded out of the stanchion and the goal was never given

Highfield Road I think

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I always LOVED the old Wembley goals before they replaced them with those horrible box-shaped ones. Those old Wembley goals were a thing of BEAUTY in terms of proportion and netting. When I was a kid I could identify pretty much every top flight grounds just by the shape / style of their goalposts. Sad we've lost that, in my view.

Zc3XOW7V.jpg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Swanny, where do you find the time or inclination to delve into things like this? It is actually quite interesting though in a sad, nerdish, real football fan kind of way. I too recall the WH and QPR nets - it added to that feeling at Upton Park that the crowd were practically on the pitch during the game!
I think I recall Hampden Park having those really deep goals like your Chelsea pic.
Thanks for your research!

I dont have a family and I dont have a job and currently I dont have much else either. Beer on Wednesdays and Saturdays, other than that I'm free to waste my time and I am bloody good at it.

Hampden Park is a classic. The last significant (used in European competition until outlawed in 1987, though some shite Scottish teams kept them into the 90s) goal with square goal posts, and indeed very deep.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I always LOVED the old Wembley goals before they replaced them with those horrible box-shaped ones. Those old Wembley goals were a thing of BEAUTY in terms of proportion and netting. When I was a kid I could identify pretty much every top flight grounds just by the shape / style of their goalposts. Sad we've lost that, in my view.

View attachment 134650

Looks like the big revolution came before Euro 1996 with many teams replacing their old goals with box goals though some survived into the early 00s.

Today I think its the only type of goal you are allowed to have in the PL but teams are still allowed to have coloured nets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here