Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Walker 'stunned' to see ship hovering high above sea off Cornwall

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/mar/05/ship-hovering-above-sea-cornwall-optical-illusion

boat sky.jpg

The effect is an example of an optical illusion known as a superior mirage. Such illusions are reasonably common in the Arctic but can also happen in UK winters when the atmospheric conditions are right, though they are very rare.

The illusion is caused by a meteorological phenomenon called a temperature inversion. Normally, the air temperature drops with increasing altitude, making mountaintops colder than the foothills. But in a temperature inversion, warm air sits on top of a band of colder air, playing havoc with our visual perception. The inversion in Cornwall was caused by chilly air lying over the relatively cold sea with warmer air above.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I saw one of these myself the other day. Couldn't believe it was floating in the air, never seen it do that at a corner before.

BDB.jpg

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
We had this the other day on the Conspiracy Theory thread. There’s a very simple explanation. It’s the SHIELD Helicarrier.

Move along, please.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I saw one of these myself the other day. Couldn't believe it was floating in the air, never seen it do that at a corner before.

FFS it's just a game of football.
Not only is it just a game of football, it's a game of football that has followed the self same narrative of every other f**king game of football, for what feels like as long as I can remember.

There's at least full 3 pages where everybody is saying everything they've already said a thousand times over.
Can't your post go over there, with what I assume to be the countless other times you've already made reference to this joke?

Sure this and Crodo spaffing on about some other shite isn't much to cling onto, chances are it isn't better than nothing, but for the love of Jehovah can we talk about other stuff too?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
It's actually not that unusual. I don't know why the media have suddenly all picked it up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's actually not that unusual. I don't know why the media have suddenly all picked it up.

Have you tried looking at the news recently!!!

But seriously, I have it in my mind that I've also seen this phenomenon but am now second guessing myself as Shirley I'd remember?
I find it hard to believe I would have shrugged it off as 'oh yeah that's just how the light's refracting' and carried on as normal.

Whether I did or didn't doesn't really amount to anything esp as I didn't have such an arresting photograph to accompany the memory.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/mar/05/ship-hovering-above-sea-cornwall-optical-illusion

View attachment 134628

The effect is an example of an optical illusion known as a superior mirage. Such illusions are reasonably common in the Arctic but can also happen in UK winters when the atmospheric conditions are right, though they are very rare.

The illusion is caused by a meteorological phenomenon called a temperature inversion. Normally, the air temperature drops with increasing altitude, making mountaintops colder than the foothills. But in a temperature inversion, warm air sits on top of a band of colder air, playing havoc with our visual perception. The inversion in Cornwall was caused by chilly air lying over the relatively cold sea with warmer air above.

The flat earthers will be having fits I expect

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

But seriously, I have it in my mind that I've also seen this phenomenon but am now second guessing myself as Shirley I'd remember?
I find it hard to believe I would have shrugged it off as 'oh yeah that's just how the light's refracting' and carried on as normal.

Whether I did or didn't doesn't really amount to anything esp as I didn't have such an arresting photograph to accompany the memory.

Yeah, it could be the start of the silly season, the BBC had this on the front page:
"Somerset starlings stop man's car in 'impressive' display".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-56313026
Yes, lots of birds were flying. In a flock. So he took a photo.
BTW, the headline is a bit misleading - he stopped his own car.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Yeah, it could be the start of the silly season, the BBC had this on the front page:

The report is also misleading as they state"thousands" of starlings being captured by the photo yet I count only 517(I think I counted a few leaves too by mistake)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Guess people got tired of the covid shite and maybe people didnt find the royal family as interesting as they initially thought. Bring in the birds.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Guess people got tired of the covid shite and maybe people didnt find the royal family as interesting as they initially thought. Bring in the birds.

Swanny, you've let me down. I was hoping for a CT explanation for the hovering ship, and you've only gone and gone all sensible on me. WTAF? :smile:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
FFS it's just a game of football.
Not only is it just a game of football, it's a game of football that has followed the self same narrative of every other f**king game of football, for what feels like as long as I can remember.

There's at least full 3 pages where everybody is saying everything they've already said a thousand times over.
Can't your post go over there, with what I assume to be the countless other times you've already made reference to this joke?

Sure this and Crodo spaffing on about some other shite isn't much to cling onto, chances are it isn't better than nothing, but for the love of Jehovah can we talk about other stuff too?

Top rant. If only our so-called manager could deliver a rant like that we might be a bit higher up the table. Like.

What?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

A similar story with a ship appeared several years ago so maybe your mind is remembering that as mine did

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Swanny, you've let me down. I was hoping for a CT explanation for the hovering ship, and you've only gone and gone all sensible on me. WTAF? :smile:

Well, I can let you up by saying that if it was indeed some Alien or occult shit carrying that ship, the explanation in media would be identical to what it is now. But I dont really see what anyone would gain from randomly hovering ships around in the daylight, so the optical illusion thing sounds plausible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here