Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Glasgow Rangers Nonsense

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
“The biggest (footballing) story of the day” to quote 5Live yesterday. All this fawning over Gerrard. ‘Ten years of hell’ finally over. Thousands on the streets. While I appreciate it means a lot in Old Firm terms, the wider football press and general media getting carried away with it in an attempt to whip up interest is way out proportion to the non-competitive nature of that league..

That said, very pleased for Connor G.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What footballing story of the day do you think is bigger?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the 1 horse league returning to a 2 horse league is very important for Scottish, and whats important for them is always important for the other 55m people in UK.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Really? With their recent record? Especially at home - it is worse than ours

Rangers, something like 30 points ahead before yesterday, in a completely non competitive league that features the likes of Hamilton get over the line after Celtic draw was just made into something massive on 5 Live, maybe you had to be listening, but it was just absurd imho.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Rangers, something like 30 points ahead before yesterday, in a completely non competitive league that features the likes of Hamilton get over the line after Celtic draw was just made into something massive on 5 Live, maybe you had to be listening, but it was just absurd imho.

No different to what we endured with Liverpool walking the league last year. Celtic should have been strong, similar squad that won it last year.

It's still the biggest sport story of today either way

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Rangers are a colossal sized club so it is of interest.

And anything that knocks Celtic off their perch should be shouted loudly from the rooftops.

Rule Britannia

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
the 1 horse league returning to a 2 horse league is very important for Scottish, and whats important for them is always important for the other 55m people in UK.

Agreed.

pgtips.jpeg

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
For what it's worth, I actually think it's quite an impressive achievement from Gerrard's perspective. Don't get me wrong, I get that there was only really ever one side to beat (I've had the misfortune of watching quite a bit of non-Old Firm SPL football and it's lower League One level at best) but Celtic were so far ahead of Rangers on every level when he went in, I thought he was on a bit of a hiding to nothing.

Celtic have imploded too, no doubt about that, but there was still work to do to close the gap and to take the title at such a canter you have to give credit where its due. Gerrard's now surely nailed on to become the next Liverpool gaffer (perhaps sooner rather than later) where I expect him to find the job to be too big for him, but then what the hell do I know, evidently?

Bombardier

NSC Patreon
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Rangers are a colossal sized club so it is of interest.

And anything that knocks Celtic off their perch should be shouted loudly from the rooftops.

Rule Britannia

You won sod all for going on 10 years. You will do Liverpool next season.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
It's a big story in UK footy mainly because of the way the league was won. Anyone who has seen Rangers this season cannot fail to be impressed by their football. The fact that they are in the last 16 of the the Europa League also re-enforces the belief that they are a very good team, able to compete at a high level. Pace and a cutting edge throughout the team. Balogun and Conor Goldson look good both domestically and in Europe. The league isn't that competitive but they are streets ahead of the rest and even Celtic are only marginally better than the other top 6 teams. Don't knock Gerrard or the team for their achievements. It looks as though he will stay to give the CL a good go next season. Certainly a very impressive manager, who conducts himself very well with none of the histrionics that you saw from Lennon on the other side of the city.

TNBA

TTF

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
For what it's worth, I actually think it's quite an impressive achievement from Gerrard's perspective. Don't get me wrong, I get that there was only really ever one side to beat (I've had the misfortune of watching quite a bit of non-Old Firm SPL football and it's lower League One level at best) but Celtic were so far ahead of Rangers on every level when he went in, I thought he was on a bit of a hiding to nothing.

Celtic have imploded too, no doubt about that, but there was still work to do to close the gap and to take the title at such a canter you have to give credit where its due. Gerrard's now surely nailed on to become the next Liverpool gaffer (perhaps sooner rather than later) where I expect him to find the job to be too big for him, but then what the hell do I know, evidently?

Agree. Celtic silly levels of shite this season but it doesnt take away Rangers having one of the most impressive SPL seasons in a lot of years, more dominant and asserted than Celtic in any of their recent SPL winning seasons, while also performing well in Europe (bit lucky with their draws but they can only play who they are facing). Nice to see Defoe getting his first title at age 38, always liked him as a player.

Indeed well done by Gerrard and will be interesting to see him in Liverpool in a year or two. PL is obviously a different beast but without a doubt he's had a good start to his managerial career.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here