Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Agonising defeats

Jan 26, 2012
Having watched the latest home defeat to Leicester, it struck me that this season above all, has been the season of the most agonising defeats ever! Yes, we’ve lost more games in the past, but never with such gut wrenching, nauseating agony as this year. Here are five games, which have left me thinking “how did that just happen?”.

No 5 - Albion 1 Southampton 2

One nil up after a Pascal Gross penalty, Southampton equalise on the stroke of half time. On 79 minutes, having been fouled outside the box, Walker-Peters throws himself into the penalty area. The referee correctly gives a free kick outside the box, but inexplicably VAR decides it’s a penalty.

No 4 - Albion 1 Leicester 2

Absolutely running the show, Brighton go into the break 1-0 up. A passive second half performance from the Albion, inevitably results in an equaliser for Leicester. A point would have been about right but Sanchez misses his punch from a corner and Amartey scores.

No 3 - West Brom 1 Albion 0

1-0 down, unmarked Bartley scores from a corner. Penalty to The Albion, Gross hits the crossbar. Dunk scores from a quickly taken free kick. Mason gives the goal but VAR want the free kick taken again. Dunk’s retaken free kick saved. Connolly misses from 6 yards. Penalty to the Albion, Welbeck hits the post.

No 2 - Albion 1 Palace 2

You know what happened,

No 1 - Albion 2 Man Utd 3

Albion take the lead through a Maupay penalty, Dunk OG levels the game. Rashford makes it 2-1 to UTD but March equalises in the 95th minute. Corner to UTD in the dying seconds, but referee Chris Kavanagh blows up for the end of the game, only for VAR to spot a handball. Penalty to UTD who score on 90 + 10 minutes.

I know most people will have the Palace game as number 1, but that UTD game still rankles, we hit the post five times and the ref blew the whistle for the end of the game before VAR decided to award them penalty. Never seen anything like it!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
In order of most ridiculous

Palace
Man U
West Brom

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
What the blinkered GP fanatics can't see past is the continuing pattern and our failure to adapt and learn from it, we're not moving forward, we're going backwards.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Just a reminder, the majority of NSC are backing the manager.

To add to that, a lot of those votes were post match when emotion and beer would likely be clouding the voting response.

In the cold light of day, I still think he has overwhelming support

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I don't need reminding, it's not illegal to have a different opinion, yet! so it's a flawed point at best, The 'majority' voted Conservative . .The 'majority' voted for Brexit. . . .

NSC is a small proportion of BHA supporters.

Whether GP stays or not, the fact is the results have been dissapointing on the verge of unacceptable given the pool of players at his disposal.

IF the task set is to play disco football TB will be happy regardless. However if the objective is PL survival and progression to mid table mediocrity he has and is failing. That is all.

Totally agree with OP that in those games we've been dealt a rough deal. The man u game particularly stands out as it's a game we're not expecting to win,a free hit as they say. The west Brom was a farcical decision with dunks goal but we also missed 2 pens so that's down to us not bad luck. We have had a few 1 on 1s notably liverpool at home and a missed pen. We got a fortunate pen at the death to rescue a point. But for a glaring miss at end of Fulham game we would of lost although again we were better team throughout. All in all we've had some bad luck but we've also been architects of our own downfall.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Another thread blaming everything and anything except the manager, we can’t beat teams around us and that’s why we are going down bar a miracle. So frustrating listening to the excuses you lot have been well and truly suckered by possession stats and few passes around midfield.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Totally agree with OP that in those games we've been dealt a rough deal. The man u game particularly stands out as it's a game we're not expecting to win,a free hit as they say. The west Brom was a farcical decision with dunks goal but we also missed 2 pens so that's down to us not bad luck. We have had a few 1 on 1s notably liverpool at home and a missed pen. We got a fortunate pen at the death to rescue a point. But for a glaring miss at end of Fulham game we would of lost although again we were better team throughout. All in all we've had some bad luck but we've also been architects of our own downfall.

Yes and what I recall at the end of the 3 3 with Wolves one of theirs headed over when he should have buried the chance.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Another thread blaming everything and anything except the manager, we can’t beat teams around us and that’s why we are going down bar a miracle. So frustrating listening to the excuses you lot have been well and truly suckered by possession stats and few passes around midfield.

Why is is the managers fault if we have so many chances / shots at goal - but so little go in? What do you think should be changed tactically to improve that?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Manager's too good for BHAFC according to the cultists :shrug:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Comfortably the least fun season in the Prem.

Finally feels like we've "arrived" in the Prem in terms of our performances, but the league table suggests no progress at all.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

How do you figure that?

I suppose you mean the majority of those that that cast a vote? Last time I looked, 244 had voted "In" - but in the hours after a match there may be around 2000+ people logged in, on and off, so that's what, 12%-ish of NSC? So 88% expressed a different view / expressed no view at all.

Of course, the majority of NSC may well be backing the manager, but frankly, like many others, I can never be bothered to vote on those "In / Out" polls as I don't see the point of them; so I don't think you can start using the results to draw any meaningful conclusions about what they tell us so far as a collective 'NSC' view is concerned.

Last edited:

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Leicester may have been agonising for some but we didn't play well. If anything, it was the result we deserved.

Palace away and Liverpool at home were more agonising results IMO. Although draws we were by far the better team. We've had too many like that which make it so sour. The poor performances are, at least in my memory, far and few between.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Ultimately it'll be the poor finishing that could decide our fate this season.

Yes there are a few games this season where the officiating has robbed us of a point or three, but most teams can argue that.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Manager's too good for BHAFC according to the cultists :shrug:
They are basing this on the fact if he went to a better club who could afford or already have £60m front men with higher conversion rates he would win more games. No shit Sherlocks except he’s not he’s been given a chance at PL level with us and making a mess of it. You have to earn better things in life.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They are basing this on the fact if he went to a better club who could afford or already have £60m front men with higher conversion rates he would win more games. No shit Sherlocks except he’s not he’s been given a chance at PL level with us and making a mess of it. You have to earn better things in life.

The guy's CV as a manager is just laughable. Was on no chairman's radar ever til that soppy slot on Football Focus. Joke's on us sadly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here