Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Agonising defeats

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
Groß didn't want it. The penalty was awarded, and whilst VAR was checking it and Welbeck and others were talking about it, Groß was over by the benches taking to Potter and gang.

Gross is our set piece player so if GP was involved as well it comes across as lack of belief .I don`t really want to fault GP he gets enough stick already .I can just imagine a Manager like Brian Clough saying you missed the first one so go and make sure this time probably using a few swear words . I think having belief gives a team bit extra whoever they are playing .Maybe its the reason for our goal scoring issues.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What the blinkered GP fanatics can't see past is the continuing pattern and our failure to adapt and learn from it, we're not moving forward, we're going backwards.

Come on. Luck played a massive part in those defeats. Blaming Porter for it all is very partial ???

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
well said - plenty of other threads for those that want to spit their bile..
I am with you OP.. I would probably swap Palace and Man U for the sheer disbelief, as the Man Utd game was at a time in the season when the disbelief could be tempered by hope, and excitement that we just played man Utd off the park.. The Palace game had all the expectation built in, total dominance without the woodwork being hit and therefore was HORRIBLY frustrating to watch unfold with a tinge of predictability for good measure. The only one for frustration that I might have added, instead of Leicester on Saturday was the Villa home game.. almost 90 mins of dominance again, full strength Villa side . The Leicester game we weren't quite as good and Leicester I thought were pretty good themselves

The Man Utd game there was so much added time at the end, that was never explained .The worst one for me was West Brom away .Why did Welbeck take the second penalty .Gross is the Penalty taker with a high percentage of conversions.What was the chances he would make sure the second time very high i reckon.There was more chance Welbeck would miss,how often does he take penalties ? Was it because Gross would be so mentally shot he should not take the second one ,or maybe the team thought if Gross missed again he would be the villain .It was in our power at that moment so if we go down by 1 point it will be crucial.

Think the Man Utd game had a huge effect on our confidence to see out matches as well. We were shot after that, and have never really recovered.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Think the Man Utd game had a huge effect on our confidence to see out matches as well. We were shot after that, and have never really recovered.

I agree, which raises some interesting questions given the managers perceived strengths.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Palace away was more painful to me even though we got a point. That ridiculous penalty decision had me fuming. We scored one legit goal more than them and should have taken the points so I felt cheated. The home game, they scored two very good goals and we scored one, so we lost fair and square.Still annoying of course but easier to accept.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I know, all this dominating teams, creating loads of goalscoring opportunities whilst conceding very few is never going to work.

Fool.

We know it could work, and should work but the cold hard fact is it is not working for us this season.

more fool you if you think it is.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Our performances and goal difference suggest we might be considered unlucky if we are relegated. We've rarely been completely outplayed over a match and the agonizing defeats when we concede late in the game are not because we've buckled under pressure but due to a lack of concentration/individual error. Part of me thinks this is good as it shows we're not a bad side and should stay up but then, if we'd been really poor earlier in the season we might have been forced to make changes that would ultimately keep us up.

"Unlucky" doesn't come into it.

Missing two penalties in the same game is not "unlucky", it is sheer and utter incompetence.

Yes, we have had refereeing and VAR decisions go against us. But then so have most teams. rough with the smooth

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
This thread needs ridiculous draws adding to it as well. Fulham twice, WBA at home, Sheff Utd at Home, Burnley at Home, Palace away, Villa Home. All games we've completely dominated and left 14 points out there. In fact are there any results where we've got away with one? The only one I can think of is the Liverool home draw and we deserved it on balance of play but the VAR decision was soft.
I think the frustrating thing is that if two of three of these results were converted there really wouldn't be a problem. We'd be sitting comfortably in the nearly over the line low to mid thirties.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I know most people will have the Palace game as number 1, but that UTD game still rankles, we hit the post five times and the ref blew the whistle for the end of the game before VAR decided to award them penalty. Never seen anything like it!

I blame the fact that we are in a relegation fight on this game.

This could have been 8-1 so easily. This was the game that the players collectively lost their nerve in front of goal having been superb against Newcastle (Tross was great against Chelsea too). I agree with the view of Martin Hinshelwood on the Roar when he said that the only way to regain this confidence is to score goals, we've really failed to do this consistently since that Utd game.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This thread needs ridiculous draws adding to it as well. Fulham twice, WBA at home, Sheff Utd at Home, Burnley at Home, Palace away, Villa Home. All games we've completely dominated and left 14 points out there. In fact are there any results where we've got away with one? The only one I can think of is the Liverool home draw and we deserved it on balance of play but the VAR decision was soft.
I think the frustrating thing is that if two of three of these results were converted there really wouldn't be a problem. We'd be sitting comfortably in the nearly over the line low to mid thirties.

The Sheff Utd game sticks out to me. We created a number of very very good chances, every other Premier League team would have scored at least 2 goals from those opportunities but a decent strike force would have hit at least 4. I was in the North Stand behind the goal when AJ hit the bar, I was on my knees wailing and considering whether to rip what little hair I've got straight out of my scalp in exasperation. The Potter Out Campaign had really got going at that point, it took them a while to see beyond the results that even with Championship level finishing, we'd be top ten.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The Sheff Utd game sticks out to me. We created a number of very very good chances, every other Premier League team would have scored at least 2 goals from those opportunities but a decent strike force would have hit at least 4. I was in the North Stand behind the goal when AJ hit the bar, I was on my knees wailing and considering whether to rip what little hair I've got straight out of my scalp in exasperation. The Potter Out Campaign had really got going at that point, it took them a while to see beyond the results that even with Championship level finishing, we'd be top ten.

Agree with this.

I've seen people say with Ings where would we be?

But that misses the point, we were never going to get him. Even if it were a bog standard Championship striker, we'd be well clear of the drop zone

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here