Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton still 6/1 to go down ....

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I think xG is the curveball. It seems to be a stat peddled by the bookies to entice gambling and can't go back on it now. The stats suggest we will be fine but it does seem the majority of journalists and betting companies don't actually watch many games.

I saw an article the other day about how Potter was too good for Brighton and it seemed to all be about xG. The footer at the bottom of the article reminded people to gamble responsibly. I feel like a lot of stats these days aren't actually about analysis for fans to digest but to equip the gambling community with information that will make them feel more confident parting with their money.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm standing by the "bookies are rarely wrong" mantra so won't be sticking anything on us going down. Not that I would anyway, it's just wrong.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
I think xG is the curveball. It seems to be a stat peddled by the bookies to entice gambling and can't go back on it now. The stats suggest we will be fine but it does seem the majority of journalists and betting companies don't actually watch many games.

I saw an article the other day about how Potter was too good for Brighton and it seemed to all be about xG. The footer at the bottom of the article reminded people to gamble responsibly. I feel like a lot of stats these days aren't actually about analysis for fans to digest but to equip the gambling community with information that will make them feel more confident parting with their money.

You think that betting companies don't watch many games.......

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
PP doing 7/1 for Relegation treble of Sheff U, WBA, BHA.....

Sky bet is 8/1 but you have to have the order right. I had a little dabble on that.

All those saying that Newcastle look doomed are overlooking the fact that Callum Wilson, Saint Maximam, Almiron should be fit again for the end of the season whereas for us March and Lamptey are out for the season.
I really hope I'm wrong, but I think we look like relegation certainties.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

So many fans do this to protect themselves against the disappointment. Geordies will be doing exactly the same. We can't all be right.

The fans of Fulham will have felt doomed all season, they didn't have any hope a while back, so they can feel quite optimistic as relegation is expected.

There is absolutely no reason we are any more certain than Fulham or Newcastle. Over 1/4 of the season still left. 1 game at a time.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Sky bet is 8/1 but you have to have the order right. I had a little dabble on that.

All those saying that Newcastle look doomed are overlooking the fact that Callum Wilson, Saint Maximam, Almiron should be fit again for the end of the season whereas for us March and Lamptey are out for the season.

It doesn't mean we are relegation certainties, but it does mean that anything other than a win against them is a very bad result

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Good point

the only stat most fans are interested in is are we winning a few games.

No we're not, hence the dissatisfaction.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I took 13/2 for us to go down, after the Fulham game, and I've never bet against us before. Relying on 3 other teams to be worse than us is worrying. I think we are sleep-walking into big trouble.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I took 13/2 for us to go down, after the Fulham game, and I've never bet against us before. Relying on 3 other teams to be worse than us is worrying. I think we are sleep-walking into big trouble.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Been sleep walking since the summer transfer window

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Weren't Newcastle struggling and losing games when they were fit ?

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
You think that betting companies don't watch many games.......

It feels like they don't. I obviously know they are forensically trawling all the games to find anything to use (xG) to promote their business. My point was that xG is digested in a way to suggest that we aren't in a perilous situation. And too much data these days represents ulterior purposes, rather than to explain the actual occurrences of the matches. Touches in the box, successful pressures, xG, successful dribbles, shot creating plays...Possession.

But I do think many pundits carry a certain opinion without really ever watching us play. Currently Bissouma is the darling, prior to that it was White. March going solidly under the radar until his injury etc. Just amuses me how popular opinion doesn't need to necessarily be a correct one.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It feels like they don't. I obviously know they are forensically trawling all the games to find anything to use (xG) to promote their business. My point was that xG is digested in a way to suggest that we aren't in a perilous situation. And too much data these days represents ulterior purposes, rather than to explain the actual occurrences of the matches. Touches in the box, successful pressures, xG, successful dribbles, shot creating plays...Possession.

But I do think many pundits carry a certain opinion without really ever watching us play. Currently Bissouma is the darling, prior to that it was White. March going solidly under the radar until his injury etc. Just amuses me how popular opinion doesn't need to necessarily be a correct one.

Yeh, I think it's this.

I don't think we've had one all year, who's actually done their homework on us. They just regurgitate, White was at Leeds, Lamptey was at Chelsea, Burn is 6 foot 7 and Brighton are easy on the eye but need a striker.

(All of the above are true, but aren't that hard to find out)

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think xG is the curveball. It seems to be a stat peddled by the bookies to entice gambling and can't go back on it now.

Most elite clubs here and around the world have data science departments pouring over every metric imaginable, including xG. It’s not something just for the bookies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here