Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Anyone done the Northcoast 500 route?

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Good question, anybody?

Sorry, didn’t see #33

I've not done the NC500 but I've done both when going up that way.

I've driven up from Worthing to Fort William (in 10 hours, stopping twice for fuel), once you get past Preston on the M6 the drive gets a bit nicer, then once you get to Glasgow it turns a bit naff but once you're up in the Highlands the drive is stunning.

My preferred option, if I'm able to, is get the sleeper train up from Euston to Fort William (Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness and Aberdeen are the other major destinations available) and then hire a car when I get there. It really is special getting on a train, having a nice meal with a couple of drinks, going to bed and getting woken up with a cup of tea and a bacon sandwich and then watching the Highlands roll by from the comfort of a train carriage. You can then hire a car and they'll meet you at Fort William Station.

Also, to paraphrase, nothing handles like a hire car.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Done stages of it over the years. All I'd say is book accommodation well in advance as it's sparse in the more remote areas and you won't get much of a mobile signal.

If you want to add an extra dimension to your journey, catch the night sleeper which leaves Euston at around 21:30 and arrives Fort William around 10:00. You'll get some great morning views from the train as it skirts Loch Lomond and moves up through the West Highlands. You can hire a car at Fort William, or get a bus through the Great Glen up to Inverness. At Inverness you can hire a car and get a direct flight back to Gatwick.

Edit. Just seen Madafwo post above!

Last edited:

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Yes did it before the brand name, fantastic fortnight travelling in our little camper van. Didn't follow the exact route it is now as had friends to visit on route, well worth doing

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Was supposed to do it last year, I fear it'll be way too busy now

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

clivebuckley

Jul 28, 2011
Parts of the route are great but to be honest you can do much better routes in Scotland I love it up here so much I moved.As people may of already said Torridon and Applecross a must the Assynt area is stunning.
If you need more advice maybe about b and bbs etc pm me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here