Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Anyone done the Northcoast 500 route?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have long held an interest in travelling to the far flung corners of our isles, which seems to have rubbed off on my wife, as today she has presented me with the idea of doing this 500+ miles touring route (plus the 1,200 mile trip from home).

Has anyone on these fine boards any experience of the Northcoast 500, if so any advice of the best places to visit. Looking at a 2 week round trip, with an overnight stop on the drive up from Kent and back from Scotland, fitting round school and hospital appointments!

Thanks for any advice.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, but before it was called that.

Stunning scenery, away from the bleak Thurso/Wick part.

Shin Falls - north of Inverness, see Salmon making their way up a waterfall at a time of the year.
All the little NW harbours are nice, lovely guest houses, eg Ullapool.
Stunning mountain scenery eg Suilven, the Applecross peninsula, The 5 Sisters of Kintail, Loch Torridon.

With 2 weeks you’ll have loads of time for an added detour to Skye. The Black Cuillins are the most Alpine looking of mountains on these isles. Grab a small boat trip from Elgol to their heart.

You’ll see few cars at times, breathe pure air and see loads of wildlife such as seals.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's a great place to visit

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Shin Falls - north of Inverness, see Salmon making their way up a waterfall at a time of the year.
Stunning mountain scenery eg Suilven, the Applecross peninsula, The 5 Sisters of Kintail, Loch Torridon.

With 2 weeks you’ll have loads of time for an added detour to Skye. The Black Cuillins are the most Alpine looking of mountains on these isles. Grab a small boat trip from Elgol to their heart.

You’ll see few cars at times, breathe pure air and see loads of wildlife such as seals.

That sounds what I’m looking for, maybe the odd whisky distillery thrown in for good measure too...

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Done bits of it as part of family from the highlands - may be our holiday destination this autumn. From what my Mum has said (she still has about 500 cousins up there - benefit of grandmother having 12 siblings etc) you do need to book ahead for places as it is remote and I mean bloody remote, the road will be single track with passing places, the locals hate the f*8king campervan drivers who don’t know how to reverse 1/4mile. There are some of the best beaches in the Uk which you will have to yourself at times. Good distilleries (Dalmore, Glenmorangie) on the Black Isle, need to visit Dornoch, Helmsdale etc. Go to into Invergorden and you might see 20+ oil rigs sat in the Cromarty Firth depending on oil market position recovery. Have to say it’s been nearly 20 years since we went up to relatives up at Kinlochbervie. If you can afford it book a couple of night in the Torridon (was on that C4 programme on greatest hotels in world). I’ve never driven the top section - it’s supposedly a bit dull and bleak.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I can't speak for the original poster, but you have sure got Mrs.Cowfold and me interested!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
We did most of it in our Motorhome a couple of years ago although I didn’t realise it was a thing at the time. Stunning scenery on the west coast.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Covered every inch of it a few times! One of the first boats I worked on worked out of Kinlochbervie so I had a few years there, also worked out of Oban, Ullapool and Scrabster and taken quite a few holidays up that way as well. Worth avoiding most things on the east side (except for Speyside) but the west is incredible. One of the best things we did was get an island hopper ferry ticket from Ullapool which covers I think 7 crossings over a week from Ullapool to Skye, down the Outer Hebrides across Lewis, Harris, The Uists and Barra before going back across to Oban, via Colonsay if you want.

To be honest the best thing to do is jump in a car and make it up as you go along.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Anyone done west coast Scotland In July/August? I’ve only ever been at other times of the year. Are the midges as bad as legend has it, or is it still worth considering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Its a beautiful part of the world, in fact possibly the most beautiful, but I fear it will be rammed full of "Staycationers" this year.

Funny you say that - I'd not heard of the North Coast 500 before a month or so ago, but it looks stunning so piqued my interest and I had a read around.

One thing I took away is that it's now possibly a bit late to enjoy it at its best. I read a fair bit about how busy it now is and, as a result, how messy it is in places as the infrastructure is not up to the volume of people that now pass through.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18604246.villages-around-nc500-being-ruined-litter-vandalism/

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Anyone done west coast Scotland In July/August? I’ve only ever been at other times of the year. Are the midges as bad as legend has it, or is it still worth considering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They really can be. I've driven through black clouds of them where you can barely see out of the other side, even if you had your windows shut they start appearing through all the air vents! Dreadful things, even if there's just a few about they're more irritating than wasps. Worst time tends to be dusk so plan around them.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Its a beautiful part of the world, in fact possibly the most beautiful, but I fear it will be rammed full of "Staycationers" this year.

We have stayed in a cottage in Speyside three times and it's normally booked for a week a month at best. We had a look last night and there's only about three weeks left all summer.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Covered every inch of it a few times! One of the first boats I worked on worked out of Kinlochbervie so I had a few years there, also worked out of Oban, Ullapool and Scrabster and taken quite a few holidays up that way as well. Worth avoiding most things on the east side (except for Speyside) but the west is incredible. One of the best things we did was get an island hopper ferry ticket from Ullapool which covers I think 7 crossings over a week from Ullapool to Skye, down the Outer Hebrides across Lewis, Harris, The Uists and Barra before going back across to Oban, via Colonsay if you want.

To be honest the best thing to do is jump in a car and make it up as you go along.

Thanks for that, most helpful.

Clearly subjective but what are best bits and worst bits, must do and meh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here