Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Everton Ex Players Association, hopefully one day the Albion could follow suit?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Just got off the phone to Gerry Moore, who runs the Everton Ex Players Association, he's was giving me some advice about getting a letter of authenticity from Tommy Wright as I recently bought an England match shirt of his from 1969.

Gerry explained what the Association, funded by both the club and fund raising events, do,they basically help towards the welfare of anyone who has ever pulled on an Everton shirt in a competitive fixture.

From help with healthcare, ie private scans, operations, consultations, putting in stair lifts, re training for ex players, to general welfare help for Ex Blues.

I recall inviting a number of ex Albion players to a St Barnabas function many years ago and one in particular who based in London asked me if I could loan him for his train fare to Worthing as his Giro didn't come through till the week after.

Naturally I paid his train fare, and had him picked up from the station and dropped back, but its struck that was very sad. he'd played at International level, and won major honours but had fallen on serious hard times.

He's since died, but at the time it struck me that the Albion probably weren't in a position to help ex players, but clearly they are now, I would hope when this pandemic madness ends, hearing how Everton operate, hopefully its something Tony Bloom and the board might consider?

As someone approaching retirement and the prospect of having more time on my hands its something I'd be happy to get involved with and I'm sure I'm not alone.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I would love us to follow suit. It’s vitally important that our history is tracked and charted, and that we look after our own. I know in the modern game it’s less common to come across destitute footballers when you’re in the upper divisions, but there are occasionally cases where individuals (for a variety of reasons) hit struggles they can’t cope with alone.

We have people who gave everything for us when we (as a club) were in a dark place ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Sounds like a great scheme, although the need for it should reduce in the future, due to higher wages being paid. Could be interesting with ex players maybe back home in all parts of the world.
The thought needs to be put in place ,so that the players who are most likely to need it , who played 30- 40 years ago are still around.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How does it work getting a retrospective letter of authenticity for a shirt which is over 50 years old? Does he physically have to take a look at it? The shirts were simple beyond belief in those days, how can he tell he actually wore it? This has piqued my curiosity.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
How does it work getting a retrospective letter of authenticity for a shirt which is over 50 years old? Does he physically have to take a look at it? The shirts were simple beyond belief in those days, how can he tell he actually wore it? This has piqued my curiosity.

Tommy Wright 'gifted' it to the person I've paid the money to, just need this confirmed by letter for my insurers.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Shouldn't the PFA be doing all of this?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tommy Wright 'gifted' it to the person I've paid the money to, just need this confirmed by letter for my insurers.

I see. What’s the shirt like? I have always assumed they were quite heavy cotton?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here