Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lallana Post Match Interview

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
And Lallana is quite right. It is mentality. To keep clutching defeat or draws from the jaws of victory can’t always be bad luck, it’s mentality. We’re too fragile at times. Not strong enough to see the win through.

We are a reflection of the managers personality. Soft/fragile and uninspiring when push comes to shove at the business end of games.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
We are a reflection of the managers personality. Soft/fragile and uninspiring when push comes to shove at the business end of games.

Was fine in our 6 game unbeaten run though right? I bet you weren’t saying as much after some of our wins against Liverpool, Spurs or Leeds.

I think the Palace game really screwed with players heads. Agree GP does have a part to play in this, but I still think there’s only so much you can do with the players you have.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Was fine in our 6 game unbeaten run though right? I bet you weren’t saying as much after some of our wins against Liverpool, Spurs or Leeds.

I think the Palace game really screwed with players heads. Agree GP does have a part to play in this, but I still think there’s only so much you can do with the players you have.
Agreed, but I did think it the games before the unbeaten run and since...Problems have returned as they never really disappeared.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
And its also interesting to note the one thing Lallana brings up nearly every interview, mentality not ability, mentality.

Maybe we should be asking how many of our squad have the right mentality to play in the premier league?

Desire, determination and focus for 90min?

I think it shows that he came from a club who currently have a strong winning mentality instilled by klopp.

It is noteworthy that both klopp and, for example, Henderson come across as genuinely nice people and good professionals who expect to win and win graciously. On the flip side they can come across as sore, bitter losers who spout some absolute shite when challenged in interviews after loses.

These traits we rarely see in our players and management (Except Dunk, of course).

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Should have scored a second, gave the ball away for their equaliser and was running in treacle for the last 20 or so - not a surprise he was angry/frustrated

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
I think it shows that he came from a club who currently have a strong winning mentality instilled by klopp.

It is noteworthy that both klopp and, for example, Henderson come across as genuinely nice people and good professionals who expect to win and win graciously. On the flip side they can come across as sore, bitter losers who spout some absolute shite when challenged in interviews after loses.

These traits we rarely see in our players and management (Except Dunk, of course).

Small point, but last week Klopp did say on camera they had lost their winning mentality. I actually felt for him because Liverpool clearly caught a variant of the Brighton no win virus.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Apologies if fixtures, but Potter’s handling of Lallana went from one extreme to the other.

A number of fans, myself included, had been calling for Lallana and Welbeck to start, he went Lallana, great first half but after 65 minutes he was blowing through his backside, every time the Subs board came up I expected to see No 14, but no let’s play with a virtual passenger for the last 15 minutes, 2 passengers if you include the cameo role by the Shah of Iran at the end. 🙈

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Apologies if fixtures, but Potter’s handling of Lallana went from one extreme to the other.

A number of fans, myself included, had been calling for Lallana and Welbeck to start, he went Lallana, great first half but after 65 minutes he was blowing through his backside, every time the Subs board came up I expected to see No 14, but no let’s play with a virtual passenger for the last 15 minutes, 2 passengers if you include the cameo role by the Shah of Iran at the end. 🙈

Unfair on AJ there Lenny
IMHO if the subs don’t get at least 15 to 20 mins of game time you can’t expect much
How many minutes did AJ get last night ?

That aside if your keeper goes for corners You Must put defenders on the post 😡

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I disagree. Adam Lallana is a premier league winner, a champions league winner, a world club winner, a super cup winner. He's probably the only player in the team who could do that interview. The players won't be able to turn to him and ask what makes him think he has a right to criticise them, because he is the one of them that's got the bona fides. People have noted in the past how the manager can't come out and criticise his players because of their delicate egos. Sometimes when a manger takes that approach, he needs his senior players to come out and say something.

Yep absolutely. We need more like this from Lallana and more like him. Not seen or heard anything like that kind of leadership from our skipper or other senior players recently. We need more leadership on the pitch (possibly why Lallana stayed on when he was clearly a bit fooked).

Jul 7, 2003

Make your mind up, if you can only do so much with the players, you can't then start only highlighting the rare good run we have had.

If you take Lallana's comments at face value, then there is a criticism of the management in there. Even the biggest Potter fan must admit that our game management is poor and has been since he took over with so many games thrown away in the last 20 minutes. Either the players are not fit enough, the tactics are wrong or the players are mentally in the wrong place. Whichever of the three, it is up to the management team to sort that out in training or in how we use substitutes.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Unfair on AJ there Lenny
IMHO if the subs don’t get at least 15 to 20 mins of game time you can’t expect much
How many minutes did AJ get last night ?

That aside if your keeper goes for corners You Must put defenders on the post 😡

Okay Maresfield old boy, maybe a tad harsh that said I think history will judge AJ as a huge waste of money, and frankly I’d have put Sequiri, Tau or even Jose on before him last night, and certainly would have hooked Lallana off from 65 minutes onwards.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Make your mind up, if you can only do so much with the players, you can't then start only highlighting the rare good run we have had.

If you take Lallana's comments at face value, then there is a criticism of the management in there. Even the biggest Potter fan must admit that our game management is poor and has been since he took over with so many games thrown away in the last 20 minutes. Either the players are not fit enough, the tactics are wrong or the players are mentally in the wrong place. Whichever of the three, it is up to the management team to sort that out in training or in how we use substitutes.

Make my mind up about what?

We did have a great run, it wasn’t purely down to GP. That’s obvious. I think he said it himself, we were playing the same way as earlier in the season only that time we were getting the results. I was speaking to someone who only cries Potter out on the back of a few games (ie, he wasn’t saying as such during our good run).

It’s funny how some of you guys are so binary. I still back the manager, but it doesn’t mean I think he’s infallible. I’m bewildered why he continues to start Maupay and Trossard for instance. Why Tau doesn’t get a run out. Ditto Zequiri, why we signed Welbeck (unknown if GP had a say in that of course).

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Okay Maresfield old boy, maybe a tad harsh that said I think history will judge AJ as a huge waste of money, and frankly I’d have put Sequiri, Tau or even Jose on before him last night, and certainly would have hooked Lallana off from 65 minutes onwards.

Oi less of that old boi I’m a pup compared to thee :lolol:
But yes I agree Adam the Llama should have been subbed off on the hour (and stick to Swiss Andi it’s easier on spell check) :thumbsup:Percy or Jose should have replaced Leandro
By gawd it’s frustrating at the moment Let’s hope we can turn this around before it’s too late ?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Agreed, but I did think it the games before the unbeaten run and since...Problems have returned as they never really disappeared.

exactly, the relief was clearly visible after the win at Leeds. You'd expect some strength to grow from that run, but after a few draws it got sapped, then we binned it all against Palace, that really highlighted the fragility

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here