Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lallana Post Match Interview

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Whether Lallana meant it or not, his comments are quite undermining of Potter. It's obvious that Lallana feels it's within his remit to say things like this. Would he say these comments if his manager were Scott Parker or Allardyce? I think not.

Maybe maybe not

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Refreshing to hear some honesty.
We were not good enough, thought we had won the game at half time, performance levels dropped by a few percent, keeper error.

You can clearly see why he reached the top with an attitude like that, no hiding behind good performance, we deserved something, haven't seen the winning goal back again.

And spot-on.

It would be nice if the manager would come out and show some emotion after yet another defeat instead of churning out the usual dirge with his normal clueless expression!

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Was he honest enough to say he was knackered at half time and should have been subbed?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Finally someone prepared to spell out a few home truths. More than “learn lessons” Potter has ever done (except when attacking the fans).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So why didn’t Potter react by putting Moder or Propper into the middle to offer some resilience in the middle? No he decided to take off our most creative player and stick Trossard who was having a shocker in there alongside an anonymous Gross and a knackered Lallana.

Can I just add, when up against superior opposition in the ascendency, successful teams puts two sitters in front of the CB’s.

I’ve watched and read analysis of winning teams such as Chelsea. That’s what they unashamedly do, making it bloody hard for the opposition score. Sacrificing something in attack to achieve that.

Second half the LCFC midfield could almost drive straight at Dunk.

Our set up was awful.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Whether Lallana meant it or not, his comments are quite undermining of Potter. It's obvious that Lallana feels it's within his remit to say things like this. Would he say these comments if his manager were Scott Parker or Allardyce? I think not.

I disagree. Adam Lallana is a premier league winner, a champions league winner, a world club winner, a super cup winner. He's probably the only player in the team who could do that interview. The players won't be able to turn to him and ask what makes him think he has a right to criticise them, because he is the one of them that's got the bona fides. People have noted in the past how the manager can't come out and criticise his players because of their delicate egos. Sometimes when a manger takes that approach, he needs his senior players to come out and say something.

Last edited:

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I was pretty sure in half-time that the second half would be worse. Maupay was man marking Ndidi so Leicester had to either hoof it or play difficult through balls through the middle where Brighton had a man advantage and won the ball several times.

Rodgers solved it by pulling down Tielemans to play next to Ndidi, and unfortunately Tielemans is a clever, class midfielder who can be surrounded but not man marked out of a game. Choice was either to allow him to dictate the game or to leave a lot of space between midfield and defense. Not an easy choice and unfortunately Tielemans eventually took over the game.
I thought Tielemens was superb throughout. He gave Gross and Veltman a difficult first half and was really Leicester's only threat. Second half produced a perfect through ball and took a good booking. Not sure why he wasnt MOM as he was way better than the rest of their team.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Game was lost when Alzate came on. We needed Proper and Moder on the pitch to get stuck in in the middle of the park and make a
real scrap for it

Ranking “Proper” ahead of Alzate would have got you strung up on NSC a few months ago ... [emoji23]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Respect for admitting:

“We were not good enough, thought we had won the game at half time”.

Putting to bed any NSC narrative tomorrow that we played well, deserved far more.

Indeed.

That's my only word about yesterday, by the way. ???

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I disagree. Adam Lallana is a premier league winner, a champions league winner, a world club winner, a super cup winner. He's probably the only player in the team who could do that interview. The players won't be able to turn to him and ask what makes him think he has a right to criticise them, because he is the one of them that's got the bona fides. People have noted in the past how the manager can't come out and criticise his players because of their delicate egos. Sometimes when a manger takes that approach, he needs his senior players to come out and say something.

And its also interesting to note the one thing Lallana brings up nearly every interview, mentality not ability, mentality.

Maybe we should be asking how many of our squad have the right mentality to play in the premier league?

Desire, determination and focus for 90min?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
His poor pass that led to their first goal wasn’t good enough. Decent enough performance apart from that but such an unnecessary and costly mistake

Lallana knew that. As the ball hit the back of the net, you could see him shouting out in despair. He knew he had put us on the back foot with a tired and weak pass. It affected him for the rest of the game. He visibly sagged. He knows we are mentally weak at the end of games. He knew we were hanging on. He knew he probably should have been substituted by then. He was already running on empty. He is a very experienced pro and knew we allowed that game to drift away from us last night.
His interview showed his frustration. At himself, at his manager and at some of his players. It was very revealing.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
One week ago you called Lallana a fragile pensioner who makes no difference.

He still is, and last week he made no difference. Clearly doesn't work well as an impact sub in the same way he does as a key component to a side.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
And its also interesting to note the one thing Lallana brings up nearly every interview, mentality not ability, mentality.

Maybe we should be asking how many of our squad have the right mentality to play in the premier league?

YOu'd have thought the management team would have someone on board who can help with that, oh, hang on . . .

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Maybe it's actually more of a 'together' thing - in that they are all allowed (encouraged?) to express their views and feelings as individuals within the squad?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Lallana totally correct in his comments. Not only is he very talented, he is mentally a very strong player, and a winner, and at the moment, the players he’s playing with look fragile. They need toughening up and to be told the truth.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

And Lallana is quite right. It is mentality. To keep clutching defeat or draws from the jaws of victory can’t always be bad luck, it’s mentality. We’re too fragile at times. Not strong enough to see the win through.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here