Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cheer up! Have we all forgotten how much more fun the Championship is?

Feb 9, 2012
perth
Isn't that the line we are all supposed to try and spin about now?

On a personall level, here in Oz, relegation will mean the number of televised games for us will drop from 38 to around half a dozen at best and that alone is something I look forward to!

Really not sure my mental or physical health could cope with another year of this pack of clusters on TV every week:eek:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

On a personall level, here in Oz, relegation will mean the number of televised games for us will drop from 38 to around half a dozen at best and that alone is something I look forward to!

Really not sure my mental or physical health could cope with another year of this pack of clusters on TV every week:eek:

Poor you.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila

You would enjoy the Championship ?
The squad would be decimated.
Tony B would lose millions ( and no one knows what he will do)
Would you rather watch Wycombe Wanderers/Luton or be live to a global audience playing Man City/Utd /Liverpool et el.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Think of it as a conversation starter...just curious, are you genuinely enjoying this season?

I seen a lot, lot worse.

Remember 95/96 oh, and 96/97, when we couldn’t buy a win? When my main concern was if we would still have a club to support the next year?
This is a mere setback, we will still have a club to support next season, we will still fill the Amex, even if, and it’s a huge if, if we get relegated.
I’ve seen us go up and down , more times than a fiddlers elbow, so, no , not a great season, but, certainly not one of the worst by a long chalk.

And, by Christ, we do play some lovely football.

Feb 9, 2012
perth
You would enjoy the Championship ?
The squad would be decimated.
Tony B would lose millions ( and no one knows what he will do)
Would you rather watch Wycombe Wanderers/Luton or be live to a global audience playing Man City/Utd /Liverpool et el.

Okay. I was trying to make a light hearted comment about how much I am hating this season - clearly too soon for lame humour!

Do I want us to go down? On balance definitely not. I am not arguing with anything you have said but perhaps to broaden this out, would it really be the end of the world if we did?

Yes, we would no doubt lose a few but think we will either way. Will still have massive advantage of parachute payments and you would hope Tony/Potter could convince some of our bigger names to take a punt on one more year. Plus build with the polish kids, probably will be able to keep Lamptey and March thansk to their injuries, Dunk, maybe even Webster. Will need to find a new forward whatever happens and seem to remember Maupay being quite good in that league. Just throwing it out there...all abuse welcome if anyone is still feeling a bit fragile.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
With a squad totally unsuited to the physical rigours of the Championship. Say goodbye to some of our best players and with a manager with no experience of getting a team promoted. Its an ugly 46 game battle. Not a pretty football feast. TB has pinned all his hopes on Potter succeeding in the PL. He is still learning as a manager, cutting his teeth and making his mistakes right now. He hasn't got the experienced head of a Bruce, a Warnock, a Pulis or a Hughton. I fear for us getting relegated. It may not be an immediate return.

I don't want to remember being in the championship. I want us playing against the best in the premier league. It'll be a financial disaster to be relegated. Yes, we'll win more but it's not a given that we'll just regroup and bounce back. We can only improve playing the best, we won't attract better players and the win at Anfield is as good a feeling any Brighton fan can have in my view. Those special nights live in memory. Those special nights only happen if your in the premier league.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
As a fan, I don’t mind relegation. I do mind relegation with a whimper.

For the club, relegation would be a disaster.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
With a squad totally unsuited to the physical rigours of the Championship. Say goodbye to some of our best players and with a manager with no experience of getting a team promoted. Its an ugly 46 game battle. Not a pretty football feast. TB has pinned all his hopes on Potter succeeding in the PL. He is still learning as a manager, cutting his teeth and making his mistakes right now. He hasn't got the experienced head of a Bruce, a Warnock, a Pulis or a Hughton. I fear for us getting relegated. It may not be an immediate return.

Except for the three times he did get his team promoted.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Teams that go down and come straight back up seem to be those that keep the managers that saw them relegated::

Burnley - Dyche
Newcastle - Benitez
Norwich - Farke

Not sure how many players we’d sell, but probably not as many as some fear. Most players in a squad that have been relegated aren’t that much in demand.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Except for the three times he did get his team promoted.

You really are clutching at straws. You are comparing lower tiers of Swedish football with the Championship, probably the 6th strongest league in Europe. I accept that Potter can do no wrong in your eyes but please accept the fact that he is relatively inexperienced, learning on the job, making mistakes and although he has a lot of potential, is nowhere near the finished product. i.e a fully fledged, experienced, top level manager. I am as keen as the next man to see him get it right, as I care about my club and don't want to see us relegated but I will not stand by and ignore obvious mistakes.
Time for bed.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
From the Championship?

Same number of promotions from the Championship as Pep Guardiola and Jürgen Klopp.

None of the managers that got promoted from the Championship had never got promoted from the Championship until the first time they managed to get promoted from the Championship.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
...the win at Anfield is as good a feeling any Brighton fan can have in my view. Those special nights live in memory. Those special nights only happen if your in the premier league.

If big name scalps are all you crave then perhaps.

Personally, I can think of many magnificent moments as a fan that happened outside the Premier League.

Beating MASSIVE with ten men at the Amex (OK, so they ended up with nine).

Beating Leyton Orient at their place at the start of the 1999/2000 season: 4,000 of us cheering them on.

Beating Notts County at Withdean in an evening game. My first match taking my daughter.

Hereford.

Etc.

It’s not all sequinned knickers, you know? :smile:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Teams that go down and come straight back up seem to be those that keep the managers that saw them relegated::

Burnley - Dyche
Newcastle - Benitez
Norwich - Farke

Not sure how many players we’d sell, but probably not as many as some fear. Most players in a squad that have been relegated aren’t that much in demand.

Dyche and Farke got their clubs promoted before PL relegation, so had/have the trust of their clubs/fans. And Benitez obv had years of success.

Potter has yet to prove that he's a winner...

(Btw, I agree the Championship is great.... when you're near the top)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here