[Albion] Cheer up! Have we all forgotten how much more fun the Championship is?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

theboybilly

I seen a lot, lot worse.

Remember 95/96 oh, and 96/97, when we couldn’t buy a win? When my main concern was if we would still have a club to support the next year?
This is a mere setback, we will still have a club to support next season, we will still fill the Amex, even if, and it’s a huge if, if we get relegated.
I’ve seen us go up and down , more times than a fiddlers elbow, so, no , not a great season, but, certainly not one of the worst by a long chalk.

And, by Christ, we do play some lovely football.

This post has lifted my spirits no end. We are not a bad side and I just love the way we try to play. Maybe a bit naive and, dare I say, too nice. But I feel a lot better now after a bit of reflection

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It’s pretty depressing having 4 years now with barely any wins. For context we’ve been in the Premier League for 43 months and won 32 matches.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It’s pretty depressing having 4 years now with barely any wins. For context we’ve been in the Premier League for 43 months and won 32 matches.
For some reason it was never enough for us just to be a PL club we had to be this ****ing shit Dan Ashworth project. For all the good things he does TB annoys me at times.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I really miss the Championship

Absolutely hate the Premier League

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Look where last season’s relegated teams are in the Championship. Times have changed since the teams you mentioned went down.

This. We would be very competitive in the Championship, IF we go down. Regarding money, Tony Bloom knows the risks and will have calculated the odds/ cost of relegation against shelling out for that striker he knows we need.

Ok we'll lose some players like Bissouma, White, (Lamptey?) etc, but It'll still be fun watching a decent squad a winning a lot more. not that I want that. Much more fun to stay up, keep the squad, get Lamptey and March firing again and bring in that Striker. Keep the faith as we used to (have to) say :)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
This. We would be very competitive in the Championship, IF we go down. Regarding money, Tony Bloom knows the risks and will have calculated the odds/ cost of relegation against shelling out for that striker he knows we need.

Ok we'll lose some players like Bissouma, White, (Lamptey?) etc, but It'll still be fun watching a decent squad a winning a lot more. not that I want that. Much more fun to stay up, keep the squad, get Lamptey and March firing again and bring in that Striker. Keep the faith as we used to (have to) say :)

This!

All those stating that Relegation will be a disaster for the club are talking shit.
TB knows exactly what the risks are and what can and can't be afforded.

Most pundits and a good deal of us thought we would be coming straight back down after our promotion season,
If we do go down,we have had the benefit of developing a squad that is much deeper and better than the promotion team.
We might not come straight back up, but we will be favourites to.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This!

All those stating that Relegation will be a disaster for the club are talking shit.

Most pundits and a good deal of us thought we would be coming straight back down after our promotion season,
If we do go down,we have had the benefit of developing a squad that is much deeper and better than the promotion team.
Selfish naive post, have you any idea how many club employees will lose their jobs if we go down? Going down combined with Covid will be a financial disaster for all concerned.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
This!

So if we don't come straight back up, is that the end of Project Potter? If we keep most of the squad together, the cost will demand an instant return.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Selling the ' crown jewels ' is not the way forward.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
A note for those that loved the championship and don’t want to be in the PL.

Where is the excitement in the Champ if essentially you don’t want to be promoted ?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Same number of promotions from the Championship as Pep Guardiola and Jürgen Klopp.

None of the managers that got promoted from the Championship had never got promoted from the Championship until the first time they managed to get promoted from the Championship.

Does Potters’ Swedish accolades stack up with Pep and Klopp’s Champions League, Bundesliga, Premier League and La Liga titles?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I seen a lot, lot worse.

Remember 95/96 oh, and 96/97, when we couldn’t buy a win? When my main concern was if we would still have a club to support the next year?
This is a mere setback, we will still have a club to support next season, we will still fill the Amex, even if, and it’s a huge if, if we get relegated.
I’ve seen us go up and down , more times than a fiddlers elbow, so, no , not a great season, but, certainly not one of the worst by a long chalk.

And, by Christ, we do play some lovely football.

I think 1994-97 was better in a way, we had no expectation other than to survive . . .oh, and our record was better. We won 28% of our games in 96/97

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
So if we don't come straight back up, is that the end of Project Potter? If we keep most of the squad together, the cost will demand an instant return.

I have no idea what that cost will be and neither do you.
If decent bids are available for Biss/White/Lamptey, then those costs could be offset quite considerably.

The point I was trying to make is that Tony B will be in a better position in the championship than he was in the season we were promoted.
I would also argue that the championship is less competitive than it was 5 seasons ago.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Okay. I was trying to make a light hearted comment about how much I am hating this season - clearly too soon for lame humour!

Do I want us to go down? On balance definitely not. I am not arguing with anything you have said but perhaps to broaden this out, would it really be the end of the world if we did?

Yes, we would no doubt lose a few but think we will either way. Will still have massive advantage of parachute payments and you would hope Tony/Potter could convince some of our bigger names to take a punt on one more year. Plus build with the polish kids, probably will be able to keep Lamptey and March thansk to their injuries, Dunk, maybe even Webster. Will need to find a new forward whatever happens and seem to remember Maupay being quite good in that league. Just throwing it out there...all abuse welcome if anyone is still feeling a bit fragile.

I'll refrain from abuse. I tried it earlier on a decent poster and it didn't sit well.

I have followed the Albion since 1969. The 53rd anniversary of my first Goldstone game is weeks away. This is the hardest league in the world and one of the hardest five seasons in the history of football. There are some extraordinarily good sides, coached by the smartest managers that have ever walked the planet. Egregious cheating and on-pitch assaults are at a minimum thanks to VAR. Owing to COVID I have watched more football in the last 12 months than in any year. I can confidently say that I have never enjoyed watching Brighton more than I'm enjoying it now. This season has delivered the best football from the Albion I have ever seen. Some exquisite football that would have been unthinkable even 3 years ago, let alone 10, 30 or 53. Even if we get relegated.

I can't be bothered to go into this is any more detail, and I appreciate there are many on NSC who will say I'm deluded, a licker, and someone who knows nothing about the passion of football, the quest for glory and the difference between a winner like Micky Adams and a sad loser like Porter. I stood on the terrace at Home Park with my son, and with something in my eye, when we won our first promotion only a few years after staring oblivion in the face. So it saddens me to see, among the genuine and honestly expressed opinions, comments that are dismissive and abusive about our manager, our players and even the owner. Occasionally it gets to me and I lash out.

So, no, I don't feel fragile because we have lost 3 on the bounce and are in a relegation scrap. Not at all. I'm proud to be a Brighton supporter, and am enjoying the season immensely :thumbsup:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
This!

Good luck with that Jim. Not for me though. If we go down - I'll use my £70 quid or so that a match day in Brighton
costs me for something else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports