Votes: 291 65.0%
  • Out

Votes: 98 21.9%
  • Fence

Votes: 59 13.2%

• Total voters

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Has Potter , in his 2 season tenure, every played a player that has been loaned to us ? Welbeck is not on loan as he was released by Watford.

I can't think of one - I feel this has been an area where we have really fallen short. Where our squad is weak (upfront) we don't seemed to have considered this as an option.

Mooy

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No wasn't a joke. Former Chelsea manager, experience of the Championship, seems a reasonably bright individual. Expect Eddie Howe a possibility also. But can I stress, i'm not a "Potter Out". What Potter has done with our midfield is nothing short of genius. I do think he needs to be more creative upfront and was too slow at changing the keeper as you know but there we go. It's Bloom's choice and he sacked one manager for putting premier league status in danger. Well that's where we are now, so it's not a given the midfield will save Potter.

I’m not sure why you are singling out the midfield. It is true that we are at our most effective in the middle third of the pitch but that is from contributions from defenders, midfielders and forwards. Potter’s system and football in general is a lot more fluid these days than you seem to think.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
I’m not sure why you are singling out the midfield. It is true that we are at our most effective in the middle third of the pitch but that is from contributions from defenders, midfielders and forwards. Potter’s system and football in general is a lot more fluid these days than you seem to think.

Yes I get that, but the midfield is delivering and how we win the midfield battle more often than not is not a coincidence. I also think Bissouma is destined for bigger things. I can't think of a more (quietly) gifted midfielder for us. Truly superb. Yes I know Potter didnt buy him but he play him and pretty much built the midfield around him. What Potter has done to our midfield is astonishing. We have played off the park most teams in midfield. That isn't luck, that is a near miracle. On the downside he has lot's to learn, needs to learn when to drop players and try something new but on the whole I'm still a Potter in.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Managers resign all the time - see below for a list of PL managers who have resigned - and I have excluded those who resigned to take another job, to retire or because of health issues.

Steve Coppell - Palace (after relegation)

Bobby Gould - Coventry (despite keeping them in the PL)

Howard Kendall - Everton

Billy Bonds - West Ham

John Lyall - Ipswich (club were bottom and were later relegated)

John Deehan - Norwich (in the relegation zone and they were later relegated)

Ray Harford - Blackburn (after failing to win 10 games and losing Stockport in the League Cup).

Frank Clark - Forest (they were later relegated)

Kevin Keegan - Newcastle

Joe Royle - Everton

Graeme Souness - Southampton (after finishing what was regarded as a disappointing 16th)

Gerry Francis - Spurs (in the middle of a relegation dogfight)

Brian Little - Villa

Howard Kendall - Everton - again - (after a run of poor results)

Roy Evans - Liverpool

Ruud Gullit - Newcastle (after five games into the season when they lost to Sunderland)

Bryan Robson - Middlesbrough (after barely avoiding relegation and Venables being brought in as an advisor).

John Gregory - Villa

Gordon Strachan - Southampton (after a leak stated he would leave the club in the summer)

Jacques Santini - Spurs (after 13 games in charge)

Alan Curbishley - Charlton

Sam Allardyce - Bolton

Glenn Roeder - Newcastle (after 1 win in 10 games)

Neil Warnock - Sheffield United (relegated)

Paul Jewell - Wigan (after avoiding relegation in the last game of the season)

Alan Curbishley - West Ham (three games into the season)

Kevin Keegan - Newcastle again (a couple of games into the season)

Roy Keane - Sunderland (after losing 5 games in 6)

Ricky Sbragia - Sunderland (after avoiding relegation on the last day of the season)

Martin O'Neil - Villa (just before the start of the season)

Mark Hughes - Fulham (claimed the club lacked ambition)

Harry Redknapp - QPR (resigned a couple of games before the end of the season - club relegated)

Dick Advocaat - Sunderland (club in relegation zone)

Steve Bruce - Hull (relegated)

Sam Allardyce - Palace (after saving them from relegation)

The reality is that Potter has benn given a significant amount of money to build a squad along with a huge contract extension after a handful of games with clear indications that the expectation was to maintain and develop PL status. I seriously doubt the approach was - 'here's £80-90million and a six year contract - don't worry if we get relegated, we love you all the same'.

I note that you qualify your assertion with the statement - Out of players we'd like to keep - Lallana and Wellbeck would definitely be gone (if for no other reason than their wages) and Lamptey will be snapped up by a PL club. Given their age and wages, Gross and Propper would likely move back to Germany and Holland. I also think it very unlikely that either Trossard or Maupay would stay around to play in the Championship.

Now - even with that - Brighton would still have a good squad and certainly one capable of getting promotion - Sanchez, Alzate, Connolly, Clarke, Molumby, MacAllister, Moder, March, Tau, Caicedo, Zeqiri, Burn, would all form the basis of a good young squad. The problem arises after promotion - because you then need a squad capable of staying in the PL.

I think you'll find Lallana signed with a coaching role in mind, so don't think he would definitely go.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No wasn't a joke. Former Chelsea manager, experience of the Championship, seems a reasonably bright individual.

The rumour on Frank was that he’d lost the dressing room months before his departure. He had a group of favourites and essentially ignored the rest of the players. Apparently he’d not spoken to various members of the 1st team squad for weeks prior to his dismissal. He’d been living on his legend status at Chelsea rather than his man management with players citing him as arrogant, distant and cold.

I’d be very surprised if he gets back into management quickly, perhaps a masters degree in emotional intelligence might help as he appeared to have none.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
The rumour on Frank was that he’d lost the dressing room months before his departure. He had a group of favourites and essentially ignored the rest of the players. Apparently he’d not spoken to various members of the 1st team squad for weeks prior to his dismissal. He’d been living on his legend status at Chelsea rather than his man management with players citing him as arrogant, distant and cold.

I’d be very surprised if he gets back into management quickly, perhaps a masters degree in emotional intelligence might help as he appeared to have none.

I didn't know anything about that. I'm surprised (if it's true) as he comes across as a bright individual and that sort of behaviour isn't very clever. Can I just say tho I'm still a Potter in and was only saying the chairman might have options like Lampard or Howe if he isnt anymore.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Mazarin had noted that one must not ask of a general “Est-il habile?” (“Is he skillful?”), but rather “Est-il heureux?” (“Is he lucky?”)

I am IN but we just have no luck at all!! Every shot gets blocked or defended wide, whereas against it's deflected in and don't even get me started with VAR

Doh!!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The guy is reputed to be on £90K a week

Who do you think would sign him?

I'm pretty sure whatever happens he'll be around for the two remaining years of his contract.

And every player at the club probably have relegation clauses in their contracts meaning decreased salaries.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I'm pretty sure whatever happens he'll be around for the two remaining years of his contract.

And every player at the club probably have relegation clauses in their contracts meaning decreased salaries.

You are right. Most will have Relegation Clauses but not all. You get some who just won't sign contracts like that. People like Mitrovic an d I know for sure Nikola Zigic when he was at Birmingham just point blank refuse to sign those types of Contracts.

Some also have Sale Clauses in Contracts as well that Clubs must agree to sell or Loan them out if Relegation occurs.

I still think Brighton will be fine this year. I am not so sure about next season though because I think the Recruitment success has been awful since the Club went into the PL with the odd exception of Lampty and Veltman

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
was out , then fence , now out again

Look at Swansea since he left.

Is he the person to get us back up ?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Right now and for the rest of the season im choosing in. If only for the reason that sacking him does no good, and there's nobody better to come in right now. Im far from satisfied with where we are but will always remain supportive of my team. If there was a better manager who could step in today & guarantee us better performances then i'd think differently but there just isnt. In the summer we can reassess things.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

1. There will be at least a half a dozen PL clubs that would go after Lallana (the three promoted clubs to start with)

2. Relegation clauses may have been the case in the first couple of years after promotion - but it is far more likely that in the last couple of years the players would not be joining without release clauses in the event of relegation. An example in point - Johnny Evans had a relegation release clause with a £3m fee inserted when he joined WBA and Rondon had an £8m release clause. Even if release clauses weren't inserted, any agent worth his salt would have prevented a player signing a contract in the last couple of years with a drop in wages for relegation. Stoke are currently reputed to have 9 players earning over £50K a week because the players wouldn't sign a clause reducing wages while Stoke were in the PL.

Now - it is possible that every player at Brighton has such a relegation clause - but I suspect if that were the case there are several players at the club that would not have signed the contracts - it would have been against their interests to do so. On top of that - it is a foregone conclusion that White, Bissouma and Lamptey would be gone - they could even be gone next summer with Brighton still in the PL - and I suspect several others would want out as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here