Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion receive go ahead to increase capacity from just over 30,000 to 32,500

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Why would it be 50% full? I really can’t see season ticket sales falling much at all especially with the waiting list.

The club got to the end of the waiting list last spring. 1000s of fans rejected their chance to buy, and have one more chance to take up their option.

Obviously Covid put people off last March, but this time we could be heading for the Championship, with Covid and finanical uncertainty hanging over everyone....

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The club got to the end of the waiting list last spring. 1000s of fans rejected their chance to buy, and have one more chance to take up their option.

Obviously Covid put people off last March, but this time we could be heading for the Championship, with Covid and finanical uncertainty hanging over everyone....

We still sold over 18,000 season tickets the year after we almost got relegated to league 1, and our lowest ever Amex actual attendance (not tickets sold) was about 17.5K for that terrible televised game against Millwall just before Sami resigned. So I think the talk of 50% full Amex if we were to get relegated is slightly pessimistic.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I was sat in the Grandstand and I remember plenty of loud singing from outside the ground. We got there about 15 minutes before kickoff (only had to walk across Hove Park) and there were huge crowds outside.

Oh, doubtless, but 10,000 would have required a large police presence and probably even a dispersal order. Would have been carnage.

The match, as is documented, was also became a stitch up. Once it became 1-1 the teams played out the last 20 minutes for a draw. Unlike the Southampton v Spurs match, this has been readily acknowledged by those involved. Only found that out recently.

Willie Irvine:

'We’d played this game at 100 miles an hour until the score became 1-1. At this point I’d noticed Saward and the Rochdale manager talking on the touchline. Somehow the game seemed to slow down dramatically except for me putting in an almighty challenge on their centre-half and almost scoring. “Bloody hell”, he said, “don’t you know we’re playing for t’draw now?” No I didn’t, nobody had bloody told me'

Imagine if that happened now !

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
We still sold over 18,000 season tickets the year after we almost got relegated to league 1, and our lowest ever Amex actual attendance (not tickets sold) was about 17.5K for that terrible televised game against Millwall just before Sami resigned. So I think the talk of 50% full Amex if we were to get relegated is slightly pessimistic.

Lowest actual league attendance at the Amex is reckoned to be a Tuesday night game against Wigan in that Hyppia season. I remember someone linked a FOI release from either the council or police where the actual attendance was about 13K, about 10K down from the 23k announced attendance.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I was sat in the Grandstand and I remember plenty of loud singing from outside the ground. We got there about 15 minutes before kickoff (only had to walk across Hove Park) and there were huge crowds outside.

I was living in Bournemouth at the time and made sure I left plenty of time to get to the ground.It was before I had a season ticket and there were huge crowds outside the Goldstone.Lots of good banter and pushing and shoving, but no trouble.Was relieved to get in, because plenty didn’t.
Lovely goal from John Templeman.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
What is the matter with some of you? Complaining about an expansion of the ground to allow more people to see the club you claim to support? How can that possibly be a bad thing?

As for 15k attendance next season do **** off. There were dickheads on here moaning about the increase from 22k would never be filled I truly wonder why some of you bother supporting this club when you don't have a decent word to say about it...

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Yes, agreed it's pessimistic. But The Amex honeymoon is over, and we live in different socio-economic times, so....

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yes, agreed it's pessimistic. But The Amex honeymoon is over, and we live in different socio-economic times, so....

Agree with that also, but I think that that 18K represents the hardcore who will renew rain or shine.

I also loved that Tony Bloom rewarded this group of fans when we got promoted by changing the loyalty points system to account for consecutive seasons as a season ticker holder.

Last edited:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
What is the matter with some of you? Complaining about an expansion of the ground to allow more people to see the club you claim to support? How can that possibly be a bad thing?

As for 15k attendance next season do **** off. There were dickheads on here moaning about the increase from 22k would never be filled I truly wonder why some of you bother supporting this club when you don't have a decent word to say about it...

Couldn't agree more. We havea had a poor season and in a perilous situation but to question our support and ability to fill our home is a step too far IMO, we have consistently shown over the last decade that we can fill out the Amex to the rafters.

If we go down and I prey we don't, stick with Potter and his philosophy for attacking football and we'll get 30k crowds unless the away end isn't full.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

Sorry I don’t agree. If I can get a season ticket I will and I’d do a 480 mile round trip to watch a game on top of that. They’ll be plenty of others that will come if they can.

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
Certainly getting there. We had nearly 35,000 in the Goldstone for Rochdale at home in the third division, and that was the official crowd. Would have been more on the terraces that day in all likelihood. Fulham is our biggest official attendance which was 36,000/37,000 I think.

My Dad was there for that, he said that not everyone paid!! A lot climbed in :)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Excellent news although complete waste of effort as we'll be a middling Championship side next season with gates of 15-18,000

If this is the case then perhaps the team should relocate to a city where people appreciate watching a team representing their city in (by European standards) very high level football even when things are not going well.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If this is the case then perhaps the team should relocate to a city where people appreciate watching a team representing their city in (by European standards) very high level football even when things are not going well.

It isn’t the case. The doom-mongers are having their moment in the sun, for some reason they seem to relish the negativity........Saturday afternoon games in the Championship - if it comes to that - will still be almost sell-outs, except maybe where the away support is very small. There will be plenty of empty STH seats of course, but that’s always the case and is in the PL anyway.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
If we're winning matches and pushing for promotion in the Championship I could see the ground rocking and full. Depending on restrictions, obviously.
Mid table mediocrity or worse and things will be different.
There's a hardcore fanbase who will always follow the Albion, I'd guess it's up from the Withdean days as we've made new converts.
12-15,000 if we're League one/ Lower Championship?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here