Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] BBQ Advice

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
With a hopefully normal(ish) summer on the horizon we've started tidying up the garden this weekend ready for the return of BBQ season.

Now I love my charcoal bbq, its a solid bit of kit that's lasting really well but I'm looking to supplement it with a gas bbq too for those occasions where a quick or last minute cook is needed. Whilst browsing Amazon for such a grill it has thrown up the suggestion of a plancha (basically a whacking great flat plate). Has anyone got one of these or used one before? They look pretty handy and versatile, but also look like they belong in a burger van rather than a garden bbq.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
With a hopefully normal(ish) summer on the horizon we've started tidying up the garden this weekend ready for the return of BBQ season.

Now I love my charcoal bbq, its a solid bit of kit that's lasting really well but I'm looking to supplement it with a gas bbq too for those occasions where a quick or last minute cook is needed. Whilst browsing Amazon for such a grill it has thrown up the suggestion of a plancha (basically a whacking great flat plate). Has anyone got one of these or used one before? They look pretty handy and versatile, but also look like they belong in a burger van rather than a garden bbq.

My gas barbie has a normal griddle and a flat plate - the flat plate is ace, particularly good for stuff that drips a lot of fat out as it doesn’t then catch fire.......tend to cook a lot on it and then finish things off on the griddle. Also good for things like veg (just dice and lob them on), fruit chunks (same, nice for dessert after adding a bit if sugar and booze of choice), onions etc. Have also fried eggs and bacon on it.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Not being one to boast but I have a charcoal one and separate gas BBQ, both have their own benefits in taste and convenience.

BY the way.......THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS BBQ SEASON.......we have bbq's all winter long...have even been known to cook on a bbq boxing day.....she wont let me try turkey for Christmas dinner yet, Although I did cook a Salmon on a BBQ a few years ago on Christmas day.

Nearly always cook bacon and sausage on the gas BBQ for breakfast....saves the house smelling of bacon and it tastes good.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not being one to boast but I have a charcoal one and separate gas BBQ, both have their own benefits in taste and convenience.

BY the way.......THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS BBQ SEASON.......we have bbq's all winter long...have even been known to cook on a bbq boxing day.....she wont let me try turkey for Christmas dinner yet, Although I did cook a Salmon on a BBQ a few years ago on Christmas day.

Def this, actually had turkey burgers on Christmas Day once, cooked on the bbq.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not strictly your answer, but the last couple of years we have used WEBER briquettes. They are practically smokeless and stay hot for a good while.

Boring but worth getting them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not strictly your answer, but the last couple of years we have used WEBER briquettes. They are practically smokeless and stay hot for a good while.

Boring but worth getting them.

Same, Weber BBQ and briquettes. Gas BBQs can never give the same taste however much more controllable and easier they are to use..imo

If you shut down the Webber BBQ top and bottom, after the food is ready the briquettes will go out and can be reused too :thumbsup:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Same, Weber BBQ and briquettes. Gas BBQs can never give the same taste however much more controllable and easier they are to use..imo

Are you sure we are not related?

Of course I suppose we are all related at some point in the past when the Big Bang happened.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Are you sure we are not related?

Of course I suppose we are all related at some point in the past when the Big Bang happened.

Well we both spent some of our younger years in Africa and South Africa I think? :smile:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
My gas barbie has a normal griddle and a flat plate - the flat plate is ace, particularly good for stuff that drips a lot of fat out as it doesn’t then catch fire.......tend to cook a lot on it and then finish things off on the griddle. Also good for things like veg (just dice and lob them on), fruit chunks (same, nice for dessert after adding a bit if sugar and booze of choice), onions etc. Have also fried eggs and bacon on it.

Thanks, that's the sort of things I had in mind originally. Kind of only feels like half cheating rather than going the whole hog with the plancha.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We switched to a gas BBQ last year, bloody superb things

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Before abandoning the charcoal BBQ as to slow can I advise you to check out a Korean BBQ they light and get to cooking temperature in five mins using very few charcoals it all comes apart and fits into the dishwasher

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire

If you shut down the Webber BBQ top and bottom, after the food is ready the briquettes will go out and can be reused too :thumbsup:

I’d recommend getting restaurant grade charcoal - really good for the rotisserie or smoking salmon on the braai.
Using a chimney is a good way to get the charcoal burning quickly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here