Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Telegraph article on the Albion wastefulness in front of goal

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There were times last week when it felt like the only logical explanation for Brighton’s wastefulness was that the players had decided they might as well get in on the joke. Their reputation as the Premier League’s most profligate team had long been secured, their goalscoring issues apparent to even the most casual onlookers, and yet still they found a way to make the problem even worse.

To miss one penalty in a crucial match against West Bromwich Albion would be typical of Brighton’s season. To miss a penalty and then an open goal was a little excessive, even for them. To then miss a second penalty, to go with everything that had gone before, was almost beyond belief.

And that is before we come to their previous game, at home to Crystal Palace. On that occasion they took 25 shots to Palace’s three, and still lost to a team that took just two touches in the Brighton penalty box. “The story of our season,” said midfielder Pascal Gross.

Full article >>> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/03/05/cant-brighton-score-stats-saythey-should-have-netted-40-goals/

(Bozza note: Please do NOT copy and paste whole articles from other sites onto NSC, either in text or image form. It's not fair on those who fund the journalism that produces these articles and it also risks expensive copyright litigation against NSC.

As it happens - this article did not seem to be behind a paywall for me)

Last edited by a moderator:

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
The comments on the article also make for interesting reading. Sam Dean the article's author replies to several.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Two ways out of it. Play on the break more and create even better chances (see Leeds away) or keep doing exactly the same thing and see if luck changes. If it's the latter then scoring three or four in a game is probably needed to bring the confidence back and the decision making on point. We are not getting a new striker now the window has slammed shut and there's not guarantee of a new one next season.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yes, a lot to be said for that. More composure required. Bit more guile to pass the ball into the net and less ferocity. Obviously easier said than done but it is evident that Potter’s coaching and set up allows us to create the number of chances we do. Keep the faith. I am convinced we will turn this round and wonder what the hell we were worried about.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
If we’re gonna play the way we do now, then it needs to be Welbeck/Zeqiri.
If counter attack, then the pace of Maupay/Connolly.

But the way we do now with Maupay/Connolly does not work.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
If we’re gonna play the way we do now, then it needs to be Welbeck/Zeqiri.
If counter attack, then the pace of Maupay/Connolly.

But the way we do now with Maupay/Connolly does not work.

It's not how we play it's how we finish. Both Connolly and Maupay have with regularity missed one on one's with the keeper and blazed over the bar when in the box. As well as just hitting it as hard as they can without being aware of the keepers position. Let's just call it how it is. Poor finishing.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Perhaps we should sign Sam Dean as a free agent. He once scored a hat-trick at Wembley for a media team against the FA.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's not how we play it's how we finish. Both Connolly and Maupay have with regularity missed one on one's with the keeper and blazed over the bar when in the box. As well as just hitting it as hard as they can without being aware of the keepers position. Let's just call it how it is. Poor finishing.

Welbeck and Lallana have hardly covered themselves in glory as the senior players charged with pushing us on, but you consistently pick on Maupay and Connolly.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

What? When we’re these ‘regular one on ones with the keeper’? The last one I can remember was Connolly against Liverpool in December.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There were times last week when it felt like the only logical explanation for Brighton’s wastefulness was that the players had decided they might as well get in on the joke. Their reputation as the Premier League’s most profligate team had long been secured, their goalscoring issues apparent to even the most casual onlookers, and yet still they found a way to make the problem even worse.

To miss one penalty in a crucial match against West Bromwich Albion would be typical of Brighton’s season. To miss a penalty and then an open goal was a little excessive, even for them. To then miss a second penalty, to go with everything that had gone before, was almost beyond belief.

And that is before we come to their previous game, at home to Crystal Palace. On that occasion they took 25 shots to Palace’s three, and still lost to a team that took just two touches in the Brighton penalty box. “The story of our season,” said midfielder Pascal Gross.

Full article >>> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/03/05/cant-brighton-score-stats-saythey-should-have-netted-40-goals/

(Bozza note: Please do NOT copy and paste whole articles from other sites onto NSC, either in text or image form. It's not fair on those who fund the journalism that produces these articles and it also risks expensive copyright litigation against NSC.

As it happens - this article did not seem to be behind a paywall for me)

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]. Apologies, I did this as I thought few would be able to see behind the paywall.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Welbeck and Lallana have hardly covered themselves in glory as the senior players charged with pushing us on, but you consistently pick on Maupay and Connolly.

Wellbek has been even worse because he has not been fit. Same for Lalllana onthe fitness, but he is a midfielder and his primary job isn't to score goals. I'm not picking on anyone, I'm simply calling it the way it is. Maupay and Connolly finishing has been bloody shocking for a centre forward. Don't make it more complicated than it is and don't blame the midfield who win the midfield battle every week.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wellbek has been even worse because he has not been fit. Same for Lalllana onthe fitness, but he is a midfielder and his primary job isn't to score goals. I'm not picking on anyone, I'm simply calling it the way it is. Maupay and Connolly finishing has been bloody shocking for a centre forward. Don't make it more complicated than it is and don't blame the midfield who win the midfield battle every week.

Why not? Midfielders are supposed to chip in with goals? Lallana’s finishing has been just as shit as Maupay or Connolly. Don’t just pick on the young strikers

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Why not? Midfielders are supposed to chip in with goals? Lallana’s finishing has been just as shit as Maupay or Connolly. Don’t just pick on the young strikers

"Chip in" yes, but their primary job is to win the midfield battle, so how about Connolly, Maupay and Wellbeck step up, act as men, and be honest enough to say, yes, they have not been good at their primary job, which is to convert chances. Instead of hiding behind others. Or better still, the manager have that honest conversation then drop them. It's up to the player how they respond. They are well paid men, not 10 years old. People I knew were being shot at in North Africa then Italy when they were same age. Let's not have the "can we turn someone into a victim" card please.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

It is not Lala’s primary job tho. It is Maupay and AC’s primary job. I hope our beloved manager finally wakes up to the primary issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
"Chip in" yes, but their primary job is to win the midfield battle, so how about Connolly, Maupay and Wellbeck step up, act as men, and be honest enough to say, yes, they have not been good at their primary job, which is to convert chances. Instead of hiding behind others. Or better still, the manager have that honest conversation then drop them. It's up to the player how they respond. They are well paid men, not 10 years old. People I knew were being shot at in North Africa then Italy when they were same age. Let's not have the "can we turn someone into a victim" card please.

how did you pull WWII into this? :clap2::clap2::clap2: :moo::mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here