Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Leicester City *** Official Match Thread ***

DavePage

Who was it at the club that thought putting us back in an all blue strip in our fourth season in the top flight was a good idea? WHO?

Mankind. Cursed to never learn from history.

Superstition aside, when the new strip was unveiled, the marketing tag line was “fine margins”. And how! Take tonight. Lallana’s header is two inches to the right and it goes in off the post and we’re 2-0 up at half time. But it didn’t.

This season is breaking my heart. It’s never an easy ride following this club but I can’t remember a campaign quite so maddening.

but we are not going to Wembley, argument ends there

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I now find myself waiting for Albion attacks to fail to hit the target with any accuracy, or maybe power. The rest of the time I wait for them to breakdown without actually having a pop at goal, in this instance they usually peter out with the commentator saying ‘Trossard’ or ‘Maupay’ :sigh:

Sadly I almost put a bet on Leicester to win at half time, 2-1 was 46-1, but I really fancied 3-2 at 71-1, couldn’t bring myself to do it though.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
So - bring someone on for the tiring Lallana - Alzate or Moder. Or bring one of them on for the awful (tonight) Trossard, or for the slow Gross. Or bring them both on for those two players to provide Lallana with some young fresh legs to do the running for him. Replace Maupay with another of the strikers on the bench (Welbeck per se wasn't a bad choice but it didn't work out).
All sorts of options. The worst one, however, was hooking MacArgie. Again.

He’s one of my favourite players, so I don’t Mac to come off the pitch either, but I could be wrong: didn’t he take an elbow to the face? Is it possible it was precautionary?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He’s not shit. He had a good game tonight. We’re missing March badly - almost all our good work comes down the right. He’s lacking support.
Don't worry about it - some people just like repeating the 'Burn is shit' mantra.
Same as some people like supporting Palarse.
Sane as some people really don't like Marmite.
Same as some people believe people voted Brexit because they believed in unicorns.

All potty of course, but it takes all sorts, doesn't it.

(Well actually it doesn't take all sorts - it's just that we've got all sorts and just have to put up with them!)

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It is incredibly frustrating to lose again like this but to say he has to go is to say all of the hard fought progress in our football patterns gets stripped out, deconstructed, started again, shattered, stopped dead. We’re on the right path. We just need a couple of finishers and some luck, for once.

In a parallel season when the goals just started going in early and a bit of luck went our way and with the confidence of 3 or 4 goal scorers, we could be 6th, 7th or 8th.

[emoji106]

The people who want Potter out are very much focused on only results. No progress being made with the football, the squad, the technical abilities, purely results.

We had a 6 game unbeaten run. Now we’re on a 3 game losing run. We are not a brilliant team, we cannot compete financially with most clubs. To even be able to play the kind of football we’re doing against bigger teams is incredible.

They don’t know it, but some of the outters really want a Big Sam, Pulis, Hughes, Hodgson type manager to grind out results everything else be damned. Which is totally fine, but I wonder if they realise that.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Brighton & Hove Albion vs Leicester City *** Official Match Thread ***

[emoji106]

They don’t know it, but some of the outters really want a Big Sam, Pulis, Hughes, Hodgson type manager to grind out results everything else be damned. Which is totally fine, but I wonder if they realise that.

Ridiculous. Saints in their Prem tenure have recruited Pochetino and Ralph. Leeds have Bielsa. Wolves have Nuno. Look at what Smith has done at Villa. There are dozens of other managers that have done very good jobs at Premier league teams of our stature without having to be one of those old guard. To be honest you mentioned Hodgson but he would probably be playing better football at Palace with a better squad but here’s the rub. He can adapt to get results with what he has. Same with Dyche he does what he needs to with zero investment and gets results.

There are many many talented managers around the football world that have managed at the top level. We have a guy who’s managed in Sweden. Probably the equivalent of the National league, and a season in the Championship. It’s laughable to think we can’t get better. Someone who can use their experience change something to change a consistent problem without just doing an Allardyce.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
How many bloody times?
That's the man who pays for everything behind BHA decision. Anyone who thinks Bloom will sack Potter when we are not certain to go down is deluded IMO. We are in a similar situation to the end of Hughtons tenure. He didn't sack him until the end of the season although we were in possibly a more perilous position. He will back Potter for the remainder of the season because a firefighter manager is not the answer, nor was it in the Hughton situation.
As a set of fans we have not been this frustrated over our teams results for ages but we are not playing badly and are close to being a mid table team even with a bang average squad of youngsters,injury prone and untried & tested bargain basement players. Some will survive others binned off & that includes the managerial position in certain scenarios.......this is not one of them. We just have to hope we can muster more points than Fulham and Newcastle to survive. Changing the manager will not even guarantee we play as well as we have been with this squad.???

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
That's the man who pays for everything behind BHA decision. Anyone who thinks Bloom will sack Potter when we are not certain to go down is deluded IMO. We are in a similar situation to the end of Hughtons tenure. He didn't sack him until the end of the season although we were in possibly a more perilous position. He will back Potter for the remainder of the season because a firefighter manager is not the answer, nor was it in the Hughton situation.
As a set of fans we have not been this frustrated over our teams results for ages but we are not playing badly and are close to being a mid table team even with a bang average squad of youngsters,injury prone and untried & tested bargain basement players. Some will survive others binned off & that includes the managerial position in certain scenarios.......this is not one of them. We just have to hope we can muster more points than Fulham and Newcastle to survive. Changing the manager will not even guarantee we play as well as we have been with this squad.???

For the record, I don't want GP sacked. My comment was more in frustration than anything. How many times have we all said the same thing this season in terms of 'could have been 3 up...', etc. Its unreal really. Has there ever been a season like this one, with so much frustration? Just being total shit and accepting it is much easier to take than this season has been, imo.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Here is the problem, I do too, but I’m so frustrated watching us dominate games for long periods with nothing to show for it.

It’s worse than when we were shit and punching above our weight....

It is. I don’t want him out though, I didn’t want Hughton out either. Normally, short term gain, long term loss.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Completely the opposite to his normal behaviour when he waits for the players, and shakes hands etc.

Probably as close as we’ve ever seen to him losing it and he wanted to get away before he did, on camera?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
5th from bottom suggests it certainly not worked that’s for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But as per my other post, I didn’t want CH out either.

The argument of course is more attacking football and the blooding of younger players, the latter point being very relevant. All the time we have a ‘Mickey Mouse’ forward line we’re going nowhere. We can talk midfield stats all we like, and to an extent it’s correct, but it cannot remove the fact that we hav3 little quality in the box.

Maupay is a lot better outside the box than he is in it.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Definitely is a mentality thing. I read on the Guardian message board someone described us as 'gutless' bit harsh but he/she made the point that we never seem to believe we'll win. Even when we go a goal up teams are confident against us. It's kind of true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here