Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Poll - are our (your) taxes better spent on...

Who is more deserving of public funds?

• NHS Nurse?

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • Barista (or equal job)?

Votes: 15 36.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
A nurse getting a decent pay rise (>1%) ?

A barista (or insert any occupation you see fit) getting 80% furlough pay?

Loaded question, but probaby an unfair one. Clearly Nurses/NHS staff should have a decent thank you payrise (min 5%?) in recognition of the extrordinary pressure they've been under. However, where is the benefit in killing Furlough to do that? Whilst you may not feel the love for your local coffee maker, allowing mass redundancies at such an economically wobbly time would have a shocking long term impact and delay any recovery; i.e we've come this far so let's not blow the support at the crucial stage.

I agree that Nurses and co are 'more deserving' as such, but if you've not had the chance to work and have stayed at home to do the right thing; why should you be the sacrificial lamb? Frankly we can afford to do both, although less so when we've spanked 22 billion+ on and outsourced cronyism test and trace joke system.

As such I'd reframe your question; are your taxes better spent on a decent payrise for nurses or throwing good money after bad to Dido Harding and co?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's a drop and run question. There are too many variables and side issues.

The wider question is one of the allocation of government spending and whether or not priorities are correct.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Loaded question, but probaby an unfair one. Clearly Nurses/NHS staff should have a decent thank you payrise (min 5%?) in recognition of the extrordinary pressure they've been under. However, where is the benefit in killing Furlough to do that? Whilst you may not feel the love for your local coffee maker, allowing mass redundancies at such an economically wobbly time would have a shocking long term impact and delay any recovery; i.e we've come this far so let's not blow the support at the crucial stage.

I agree that Nurses and co are 'more deserving' as such, but if you've not had the chance to work and have stayed at home to do the right thing; why should you be the sacrificial lamb? Frankly we can afford to do both, although less so when we've spanked 22 billion+ on and outsourced cronyism test and trace joke system.

As such I'd reframe your question; are your taxes better spent on a decent payrise for nurses or throwing good money after bad to Dido Harding and co?

I think pay rises are a recognition of general value of labour. I'd say that NHS staff certainly deserve bonuses for their work during the crisis. As for pay, I think a review body should determine that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh gawd, what sort of wankfest thread is this? Lots of people deserve more money. What are you going to do about it?

Ah yes, I see. Lots! OK ...........................

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
wrong question, ignoring many complexities. real question is if there's 7% increase in healthcare funding (which there is), why is only 1% on wages everyone agrees should be more. where does the health budget get spent?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Loaded question, but probaby an unfair one. Clearly Nurses/NHS staff should have a decent thank you payrise (min 5%?) in recognition of the extrordinary pressure they've been under.

Yes, and so should supermarket workers who have kept us supplied with food whilst dealing with 'I can't wear a mask' wankers every day of the week. Yes, it's whataboutery if you are trying to make a point to suit your own prejudices, but in this case it is perfectly justified whataboutery.
5% pay rise for them too (they're on a bloody sight less than your average nurse) - another 7 or 8% on your grocery bill? I'm sure you'd be fine with that - after all, shareholders are facing a bit of a crunch too, aren't they .

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Where is the 'track and trace companies' answer?

Surely these chaps are the only correct answer.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I take it the contempt for baristas (or equal jobs) is because you feel you will never have to work in a service industry? Do you sneer at them as you collect your coffee?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Chicken and the egg.

Kill business, kill revenue, kill nurses pay.

Remove money safety net means people will break lockdown to work......increase in covid........ more pressure on nurses without a pay rise.

Think I've answered that

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
wrong question, ignoring many complexities. real question is if there's 7% increase in healthcare funding (which there is), why is only 1% on wages everyone agrees should be more. where does the health budget get spent?

Having worked on NHS Sites for many years there was a HUGE amount of wastage both in terms of admin and equipment, so there goes your 7%

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Not going to answer a divide and rule question, that ignores the wasteful spending priorities of a corrupt government feathering the nests of its mates. Stop the track and trace scandal, the PPE scandal, HS2, Trident, and the decorating at number 10 first. There’s more but it’s early and the cricket has already riled me this morning

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I understand the argument NHS staff having worked all through three lockdowns under great pressure should receive a pay rise in excess of 1% and by way of a comparison others whose jobs were furlowed are on 80% pay and staying home.

However the real point here is we all have seen the dedication, skills and hard work of NHS staff during this pandemic and I am sure they deserve some recognition for this.
Is it not unsimilar to the armed forces in times of war who receive medals and promotion for their efforts but not generally a pay rise across the board.
Or should we be using this pandemic to review how society in general rewards all jobs, is it right that somone working in the IT, Banking,Office world worth be valued higher than many other roles that have been essential to all our Dailey lives throughout the pandemic here I am thinking shop workers, waste disposal, transport staff who would not benifit from any NHS financial recognition.
Instead is this a moment to stop and revalue everything ?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The magic money tree is only available for contracts for invisible PPE from Matt Hancocks mates, out of court settlements to people Pritti Patel has bullied, abandoned track and trace apps from Dom Cummings mates, actual track and trace systems that don't work, Pandemic exercises that highlight problems to ignore, 50 million face masks with the wrong straps, free school dinner contracts at £30 a head for a banana, a packet of crisps and two bottles of water after being shamed into providing anything at all, and many other wastages, both pandemic and non pandemic related.

The question is snide, and seeks to sow the seed that it must be one or the other, and it really isn't.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If I was a Nurse on a long shift with 5% extra in my pay packet I'd love a decent coffee mid-shift.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Why is the poll punching down? ??? Surely it should be; would you rather your taxes fund a well deserved pay rise for nurses or so Matt Hancock can give his mates millions of £££ for things that don’t work ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here