Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] I know, it’s only rock and non-fungible tokens, but I like it......

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Despite the artists you've mentioned, I was intrigued enough by NFT to look a bit further.

One video I saw mentioned how it will enable artists to get...'creative by selling a mention of the exclusive buyers name in the artists song etc'....

Reggae artists and sound systems have been doing that for the past 50 years or more. They're called 'dubplates' or 'specials' :wink:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone got a clue what this is all about? Will I be able to play these on my record player?

Kings of Leon to release new album as a non-fungible token https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...-to-release-new-album-as-a-non-fungible-token

And Grimes as well https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...ls-digital-art-collection-non-fungible-tokens

Well seeing as how Grimes is Mrs Elon Musk, there's obviously some kind of crypto-pump in play here. Tho how much money does one head-mental freak NEED? And why dreary ol' Kings Of Leon? Have to say it just sounds like so much irrelevant noise. Probably best ignored eh?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I'm sure the crypto bores will be along soon to explain it to all of us - and why they will be zillionaires and we will all be paupers.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think it must be my age, I started reading the article and decided that I wasn’t understanding it so didn’t bother reading till the end.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Non-fungible tokens got to be the biggest scam going. It's as if there are millions of copies of the album freely available as mp3 files on the internet but the non-fungible token is like an official certificate saying you bought the album. What's the point? Just makes someone lots of money while using an awful lot of electricity to create the token.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I haven’t read the articles, but NFTs are huge right now both in digital art and collectibles.

Look up the recent Beeple sale: $6.6m for, essentially, an animated gif and NBA Top Shot - https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....30-million-dollars-spent-on-nba-top-shot.html - where people pay thousands for short basketball video highlights.

That link probably explains it better than the ones I looked at earlier. The anology with collecting tradable (player) cards is a good one.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Non-fungible tokens got to be the biggest scam going. It's as if there are millions of copies of the album freely available as mp3 files on the internet but the non-fungible token is like an official certificate saying you bought the album. What's the point? Just makes someone lots of money while using an awful lot of electricity to create the token.

I've read a bit about cryptoart recently and came to the same conclusions. What's more, I was left feeling that though I'm not yet 40, the world is starting to leave me behind :moo:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

It's also solid proof that I don't own a Kings of Leon album. That's something!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well seeing as how Grimes is Mrs Elon Musk, there's obviously some kind of crypto-pump in play here. Tho how much money does one head-mental freak NEED?

She’s come a long way since she was sandwiched between Yacht and Half Moon Run at seafront club Digital, on a Montreal showcase.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That link probably explains it better than the ones I looked at earlier. The anology with collecting tradable (player) cards is a good one.

Given the subject matter. Did you change the a to an o deliberately, or was it a Freudian slip.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just seems to be a way of inflating the cost of an album.
Why they couldn't just issue the album on vinyl with a digital download code included I don't know.

There has been an increase in different versions of the same product being issued from standard, deluxe, super deluxe edition with varying extras thrown in, to inflate the price.

Anyone ever get their Pink Floyd marbles out of the box on the SDEs of The Dark Side Of The Moon?

Also need to be careful, as Wildflowers by Tom Petty was reissued last in various editions with a 4cd set costing around £30 with a 5cd set costing £80, The extra disc contained in the 5cd set is being released as a standalone disc in April for £10, no doubt upsetting all those that paid an extra £50 for the 5cd set.

hopefully the King of Leons release will not catch on, if it does I'm not interested.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What's frightening is how much CO2 all this stuff is burning.

Just go and buy the vinyl and is a Nano-fraction of the CO2.

I'm all for the power of digital, but the frivolous waste of energy spent on some of this stuff is causing more harm to the planet than necessary.

Then again, just this post is wasting CO2.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its basically a digital scratch card/gift voucher to buy the MP3. or aka marketing gimmick.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just seems to be a way of inflating the cost of an album.
Why they couldn't just issue the album on vinyl with a digital download code included I don't know.

There has been an increase in different versions of the same product being issued from standard, deluxe, super deluxe edition with varying extras thrown in, to inflate the price.

Anyone ever get their Pink Floyd marbles out of the box on the SDEs of The Dark Side Of The Moon?

Also need to be careful, as Wildflowers by Tom Petty was reissued last in various editions with a 4cd set costing around £30 with a 5cd set costing £80, The extra disc contained in the 5cd set is being released as a standalone disc in April for £10, no doubt upsetting all those that paid an extra £50 for the 5cd set.

hopefully the King of Leons release will not catch on, if it does I'm not interested.

I can’t say I have an issue with multiple versions. For small bands, deluxe editions are a good way to get some decent income in the streaming era. And the sort of people buying vinyl/CD boxsets generally won’t quibble over the situation you highlight for a number of reasons.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

NFTs themselves are not a scam, they will become a hugely important concept in finance and asset ownership in future (imagine being about to own a fraction of a property the otherside of the world and trade it independently of banks and brokerages).
the current use of NFT is low hanging fruit, silly memes and gifs tagged as NFTs to create phantom value. there's not point to this, could just down load the album from a onetime code emailled to you.
also worth noting the systems for NFT do not need lots of energy like bitcoin does, the use different protocols that are energy efficient.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
She’s come a long way since she was sandwiched between Yacht and Half Moon Run at seafront club Digital, on a Montreal showcase.

Is it just me who thought that Non Fungible Token was one of the IPAs you'll be drinking tonight while the above sounds very much like one of [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] 's DVDs :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here