Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 1% Pay Rise for Nurses.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
a) £22 billion for a track & trace system that doesn't work, straight into the pockets of a consultancy run by chums of the people in government.

That's £22,000,000,000

b) Nurses after a year of being at the Covid coal-face: 1% and a patronising clap. "Well we're not made of money"

And yet this government still leads easily in the polls. I am genuinely not sure how bad this government needs to get before people wake up to what is going on.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's just a vile insult, even by the disgusting standards of the Nasty Party. Tho hopefully will serve as a rallying call to unite the country against these shameless ****s and sweep them out of power earlydoors :wave:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It’s an insult, but the 12.5 percent they want is as well.

I think they would be better off waiting a couple of months before fighting this battle when 9 million are not of furlough.

Sadly I think a lot will just shrug and say “so”

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's just a vile insult, even by the disgusting standards of the Nasty Party. Tho hopefully will serve as a rallying call to unite the country against these shameless ****s and sweep them out of power earlydoors :wave:

No chance. Little Englanders tend to feel they have to wait for the all clear from the main stream newspapers owned by a handful of billionaires before they consider voting for anyone other than the conservatives.

Johnson is the most useless PM we've ever had, and he's surrounded himself with a bunch of drippy, incompetent yes men, and they only ever respond to populism, and reactively obviously. So the only change that might happen is that he'll find another half percent down the back of a sofa, or borrow some more money to fund it, then kick that can down the road so that somebody else has to deal with the black hole once he's yesterday's man.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have to say I was surprised by the nurse who called into Radio 5 this morning, to offer balance. Her Father died early last year and she got two months off, with pay, she also spoke about 40 days holiday? Clearly she may have long service awards or a different contract to some, but there's always more to the story than just the salary, i.e. pensions, annual leave, training, compassionate leave etc. Personally, I think we all need to realise that this money is going to need to be paid back, but I think I'd have awarded an RPI increase, as a minimum, and then put the squeeze on. I'd imagine the thinking is if any public sector workers want to ask for a pay rise they'll be given the example of the heroic nurses and doctors, who only got 1%.

The 40 days seems quite high but it will include 8 bank holidays. As for the bereavement leave, I understand normal practice is one week paid! Also, pensions were reviewed and reduced by, I think, Cameron's regime.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
You mean they weren't happy with merely being clapped for?

skynews-boris-johnson-carrie-symonds_4990652.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Think they are making a mistake with the timing.

Said every Tory always.

They've not even mentioned timing.

But as you've mentioned timing, IMHO the perfect timing would be the week after every eligible citizen has been offered their first dose of vaccine and has realised what an absolutely magnificent job the NHS has done throughout this crisis.

Spectacular own goal by the Tories right there. The U-Turn will be equally spectacular :wave:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This year

FocusEconomics Consensus Forecast panelists expect inflation to average 1.5% in 2021, which is unchanged from last month's forecast, and 1.9% in 2022.

Copy and paste.

No one get pay rises on projected forecasts only ever based on previous year if linked to inflation.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
a) £22 billion for a track & trace system that doesn't work, straight into the pockets of a consultancy run by chums of the people in government.

That's £22,000,000,000

b) Nurses after a year of being at the Covid coal-face: 1% and a patronising clap. "Well we're not made of money"

And yet this government still leads easily in the polls. I am genuinely not sure how bad this government needs to get before people wake up to what is going on.

Does anyone actually believe, hand on heart, they gave £22 billion to a consultancy? I see it trotted out quite a lot, generally by people who despise the current government whatever they do. It simply isn't true.
Track and trace for a population of 60million is a huge task, I'm not surprise it's expensive to run.

https://fullfact.org/health/local-national-contact-tracing/

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tom it’s then the people v Nurses which isn’t a good outcome for anyone!

Can you honestly see the people NOT taking the side of the nurses? It's like when the firemen were forced to strike during the Thatcher era. They didn't have buckets big enough to hold the contributions of the population at large. Same will be the case here

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Certainly didn't appreciate that nurses salaries were so low in the first place - £24k starting salary and an average of £34k for what they do seems meagre to me. How do they survive on as little as that?

It's little wonder we find it hard to attract nursing staff and care workers into the sector. We've largely been bailed our by our fellow Europeans in the past but something has to give if we are to attract new staff into the NHS even more so since Brexit.

Suspect though that if a strike was called and they all suddenly upped and picketed that they'd certainly be some compromise by the Government. Let's hope so.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

That's £22,000,000,000

In the budget small print, another £15 billion has been earmarked for Sercos track and trace.

That’s a grand total, so far, of £37 billion to Didos folly.

The annual cost of doubling the pay rise for the UK's 670,000 nurses from 1% to 2% (£174m) is less than the amount we wasted on unusable FFP2 facemasks for the Govt's VIP lane favourites Ayanda and Pestfix (£204m).

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Can you honestly see the people NOT taking the side of the nurses? It's like when the firemen were forced to strike during the Thatcher era. They didn't have buckets big enough to hold the contributions of the population at large. Same will be the case here

I respect your view but I wouldn’t be so sure, many of us who have had to work through this pandemic have lost wages, lost jobs, relationships and future security.

Ask those people what they think about a Nurses strike.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Does anyone actually believe, hand on heart, they gave £22 billion to a consultancy? I see it trotted out quite a lot, generally by people who despise the current government whatever they do. It simply isn't true.
Track and trace for a population of 60million is a huge task, I'm not surprise it's expensive to run.

https://fullfact.org/health/local-national-contact-tracing/

Sorry, but if this was so expensive and a huge task (which it is and was) then it should have gone to public tender. It should not have just been awarded to chums and then justified by the "emergency measures" dictat. That is corruption in action.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here