Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Handball Rule

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
As one who thinks the present rule is a farce can you tell me if this is a FIFA rule or an English FA interpretation

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If they made touch the ball with your hand or upper arm then it is handball, intentional or not then things would be much easier to understand.
Unintentional then its a free kick or penalty.
Intentional then the same and a red card for cheating.
At the end of the day you cannot use your hand in football.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
If they made touch the ball with your hand or upper arm then it is handball, intentional or not then things would be much easier to understand.

Surely no supporters want penalties given when ball is wacked against players arm

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I don’t understand how an accidental handball isn’t a penalty but an accidental handball disallows a goal, like the one for WBA this evening. I think it should be immaterial if a handball leads to a goal, if it’s a complete accident and the player in no way controls the ball with a hand or arm, then it isn’t a foul. Think the hand ball rule should allow the type of goal WBA scored to stand.

DavePage

unless you’re a goalkeeper or taking a throw-in

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don’t understand how an accidental handball isn’t a penalty but an accidental handball disallows a goal, like the one for WBA this evening. I think it should be immaterial if a handball leads to a goal, if it’s a complete accident and the player in no way controls the ball with a hand or arm, then it isn’t a foul. Think the hand ball rule should allow the type of goal WBA scored to stand.

Have to agree, sauce for the goose and all that.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
unless you’re a goalkeeper or taking a throw-in

That is likely to lead towards forwards hitting balls at defenders arms

The old rule interpretation seemed to work in that arm/hand to ball was a foul.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
What goes around, comes around.

VAR found a way to rule our Lallana’s potential winner Vs Fulham away with another accidental handball.

They must have loved that but they’re not so pleased about last night.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Surely no supporters want penalties given when ball is wacked against players arm

Yeah, what happens when this becomes a deliberate skill, does the offending player get a red for trying to create a penalty? The point of the handball rule is to stop people controlling the ball with their hand, this crazy level of scrutiny is ridiculous. And it is clearly a result of tech. The same with offside, the point is to stop goal hanging, not to prevent one players armpit being in front of another's. The solution is to stop VAR from running the game. The original idea was for clear and obvious referee blunders, the need to use a slide rule, or multiple back and forward freeze frame angles should disqualify a VAR decision.

What is needed is the ability for refs to do their job, did the player use their hand in an attempt to control the ball, if not, play on. Sure mistakes will be made, but this reliance on tech is screwing things up and often the VAR decisions are leaving people scratching their heads. We cannot completely remove incorrect ref decisions and trying to do so is a really bad mistake.

Dave Fishwick

Feb 28, 2021
London
quite happy the Kante one wasn't given tonight - he was way too close to Firmino and was almost an incarnation of the widespread fear that players will just learn to chip the ball up onto outstretched hands

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Fulham one was strange because players must be told to do everything possible to keep arms down, He did and no way could do anything about ball hitting him.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
As one who thinks the present rule is a farce can you tell me if this is a FIFA rule or an English FA interpretation

There's nothing wrong with the law, just the interpretation, Which has improved of late, barring the Fulham example.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The TV commentator last night mentioned that the handball rule is being adjusted again for next season, but he didn't say what the expected change will be.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Football has finally eaten itself this season in my opinion. It's like an animal now regurgitating it's food and then pooring over the vomit to try to see whats left to play with.

Just leave the game the feck alone. It's doesn't need tinkering with season upon season upon season.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The way the rules worked for years.... ie, if it was ball to hand, (or unintentional in older parlance) you played on, was fine wasn't it?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
It's to stop players like Harry Kane controlling the ball with a hand then scoring. Good job VAR is there to police it. We have already seen players striking the ball towards a player's arm and appealing for a penalty on several occasions this season. I tend to agree that the old 'hand to ball' interpretation is a good guide to whether deliberate or not, but players are bloody cunning these days.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It's to stop players like Harry Kane controlling the ball with a hand then scoring. Good job VAR is there to police it. We have already seen players striking the ball towards a player's arm and appealing for a penalty on several occasions this season. I tend to agree that the old 'hand to ball' interpretation is a good guide to whether deliberate or not, but players are bloody cunning these days.

Yes, this is pretty much what I was getting at with my idea which i agree with others needs tinkering but either way if everyone involved is shown 5 examples of handball and agreeing what is and what isn't then maybe things will become clearer.
I agree the Fulham one was not handball, if the 'general' rule is that the ball cannot touch the hand or arm intentionally or not and then some common sense (Fulham) and/or VAR then it should improve.
Managers may not like it but they will know what the rule is and shut up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here