Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Central Heating Advice

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Am considering getting a new boiler and have had a quote from British Gas. However the wife has seen that gas boilers will no longer be fitted in about 5 years time because of new systems that will be used?? Also we have a boiler and hot water tank so would a combi boiler be a better bet to get rid of the expense of a possible new tank at some point. I am a complete novice when it comes to anything to do with central heating etc so any advice from the great and the good would be much appreciated

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I think it is 'new boilers will not be fitted into new builds' in 5 years time. We will be with gas boilers for a long time still, and parts will not be a problem for now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A Worcester or Vaillant gas combi boiler. Far more efficient and cheaper to run than older boilers, the two most reliable brands.

They won’t be phased out. For better or worse, mains gas will be our heating fuel for many years to come.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm sure you can do better than going with British Gas to from a new boiler install perspective

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
A Worcester or Vaillant gas combi boiler. Far more efficient and cheaper to run than older boilers, the two most reliable brands.

They won’t be phased out. For better or worse, mains gas will be our heating fuel for many years to come.
This

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Not sure about boilers so slightly off topic. I've a smart thermostat (Tado) and works a treat. Only operates when we're at home so no heating a house if we're late getting back. Plenty on the market. This and a new boiler a few years back knocked £100's off our bills.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Ask Big Sam.

_102846518_hi048499052.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm sure you can do better than going with British Gas to from a new boiler install perspective

Indeed ! I'd recommend Charlie from Pavilion Plumbing and Heating - Albion fan as well .... unlike British Gas.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
New gas boiler - Two grand
Ground source heat pump - Twenty grand

Until there's significant incentives I know where my money would go

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Some good advice so far

Just to add, new gas boilers not going into new build (only) from 2025/30, so existing building stock (+20m?) are all good for NG for quite a while.

We're starting to add Hydrogen to some test sites, and it's going well, and might have 20% blend coming on stream down the existing NG network around 2030. I only know of one make of boiler that can cope with that out of the box - Viessmann. :thumbsup:

System vs Combi - combi only good for one outlet - if you have two bathrooms or more, keep your set up. (apart from Viessmann V111 which is a storage combi)

Why do you think you need a new boiler ? Breakdowns? even saving £200 a year will take 7/10 years to make back the cost, so dont go into it blind. Post up deets of your existing one..

Electricity is about 3 times more expensive per kilowatt, so dont go there.

Heat pumps - great tech, amazing, but as above the payback is way down the line.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
unless there is a couple of secret nuclear power stations being built, we wont be replacing gas in 5 years.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
We went from a system boiler with cold water tank in the loft to a Vaillant combi boiler with a small tank in it as a kind of hallway house as we've got 2 bathrooms and it helps with the drop in pressure if more than one thing is on at the same time and weather compensation to control the heating and it is a revelation.

Yes there are alternatives to a gas boiler but as has been mentioned, they are ludicrously expensive at the moment and there isn't much incentive to get them done. Personally I think it is better to spend the money on making sure your house is as insulated as possible to reduce your heating bill.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Some good advice so far

Just to add, new gas boilers not going into new build (only) from 2025/30, so existing building stock (+20m?) are all good for NG for quite a while.

We're starting to add Hydrogen to some test sites, and it's going well, and might have 20% blend coming on stream down the existing NG network around 2030. I only know of one make of boiler that can cope with that out of the box - Viessmann. :thumbsup:

System vs Combi - combi only good for one outlet - if you have two bathrooms or more, keep your set up. (apart from Viessmann V11 which is a storage combi)

Why do you think you need a new boiler ? Breakdowns? even saving £200 a year will take 7/10 years to make back the cost, so dont go into it blind. Post up deets of your existing one..

Electricity is about 3 times more expensive per kilowatt, so dont go there.

Heat pumps - great tech, amazing, but as above the payback is way down the line.

25 year old ideal boiler. We have always had a problem with needing to refloat the bubble in the tank on a regular basis although I realise this is not necessarily a boiler issue but no engineer has ever been able to fix that.. The last service we were told that you can't get the parts easily these days and the ignition has been playing up lately. Just thought as its 25 years old it was worth an upgrade before it packs up completely.

Although we have 2 bathrooms and a downstairs loo as there is only the 2 of us only one is ever used at any one time. Does this mean a combi might be ok?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Put a jumper on.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
25 year old ideal boiler. We have always had a problem with needing to refloat the bubble in the tank on a regular basis although I realise this is not necessarily a boiler issue but no engineer has ever been able to fix that.. The last service we were told that you can't get the parts easily these days and the ignition has been playing up lately. Just thought as its 25 years old it was worth an upgrade before it packs up completely.

Although we have 2 bathrooms and a downstairs loo as there is only the 2 of us only one is ever used at any one time. Does this mean a combi might be ok?

That age Ideal (icos?) is worth replacing - prob 70-80% efficiency where as a new one is around 90-95%

The cylinder issue is seperate - see if the installer can add an external expansion vessel maybe.

Combi - certainly an option - Get your water pressure and flow rate checked - both standing and dynamic. If it's poor, then best to know in advance.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Indeed ! I'd recommend Charlie from Pavilion Plumbing and Heating - Albion fan as well .... unlike British Gas.
He used to live next-door to my dad, give his number out at least once a week [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Another vote for Worcester combi boiler.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here