Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] NSC Mental Health Thread

Brighton Rocker

Jul 16, 2011
TN 21
The NSC Fitness Thread has had a great response which will motivate many to get more active and shed some weight. There is for many of us a link between physical health and mental health so, thought mental health deserves a separate thread.

The last year has impacted the mental health of many due to anxiety about the pandemic, furlough, home schooling and/or working hard to keep others safe. Not being able to watch the Albion at the Amex has not helped.

Inspired by what supporters of other clubs are doing to raise awareness of mental health services available in their areas and the FSA’s Terrace Talk initiative, I have started collecting information on what support is available in Sussex. This information includes self-referral services, online support, courses, research and inspiring recovery stories. I have experience of many of the local services and would be interested in the services others have found helpful.

For me recognising the symptoms which have resulted in an episode of poor mental health has been critical to my recovery. The free courses run by Sussex Recovery College have been a fantastic help.

Happy to share the resources I have identified so far.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Very good idea for a thread.

Definitely have felt the stigma around mental health starting to shift in recent times, particularly amongst men.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm not ashamed to say I have suffered some MH issues in the past. Suffered with stress at work in 2003. Also had some anxiety issues last year at the start of lockdown, couldn't watch the news, found it all rather overwhelming. Part of it was that we both retired and the plan was to have a few holidays and day trips and sell the house.
We've since moved and I've got so much to do I don't have time to worry as much. I find just being in the garden/garage (which I am converting into a workshop/hobby room) helps enormously.

Brighton Rocker

Jul 16, 2011
TN 21
I'm not ashamed to say I have suffered some MH issues in the past. Suffered with stress at work in 2003. Also had some anxiety issues last year at the start of lockdown, couldn't watch the news, found it all rather overwhelming. Part of it was that we both retired and the plan was to have a few holidays and day trips and sell the house.
We've since moved and I've got so much to do I don't have time to worry as much. I find just being in the garden/garage (which I am converting into a workshop/hobby room) helps enormously.

I also found retirement more difficult than I expected. Converted transit to camper van in 2019. Not had much use out of it yet due to COVID restrictions. I find keeping busy with DIY projects occupies my mind so, no room for intrusive thoughts.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I think the vast majority of people have suffered some form of mental health issue if they have reached middle age. It can vary from mild to much more severe but it effects a huge amount of people .

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
There was another thread about Mental Health issues previously - only mention it because there was a LOT of good points raised on that. Not sure what the title was though.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I have to say I'm struggling a bit at the moment.

Neither my partner or I have seen any of our family since Xmas/New Year 2019 - we live in Northumberland, his family are in Derbyshire and mine in Sussex. He lost his Dad last April and wasn't able to attend the funeral or really grieve at all in the 'normal' way, if there is such a thing.

Obviously I've been doing everything I can to support him through that and through other MH difficulties that he's having, but I'm finding that it's all getting a bit on top of me, combined with the isolation from family and friends.

As with a lot of people at the moment, we both WFH and while that's fine as far as it goes, I'm finding that my work and home life are increasingly blurred, and of course there are limited options for things to do outside the house for variety at the moment. To be blunt there are days that we're essentially sick of the sight of each other.

We're due to be getting married in July so we're working on planning that as far as is possible, but the uncertainty around what it will be, if it can even happen at all, is not helping. I hoped it would feel like a light at the end of the tunnel, but it doesn't at the moment.

All in all, I'm plodding along and getting through days, but I know that things aren't right in my head.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I have to say I'm struggling a bit at the moment.

Neither my partner or I have seen any of our family since Xmas/New Year 2019 - we live in Northumberland, his family are in Derbyshire and mine in Sussex. He lost his Dad last April and wasn't able to attend the funeral or really grieve at all in the 'normal' way, if there is such a thing.

Obviously I've been doing everything I can to support him through that and through other MH difficulties that he's having, but I'm finding that it's all getting a bit on top of me, combined with the isolation from family and friends.

As with a lot of people at the moment, we both WFH and while that's fine as far as it goes, I'm finding that my work and home life are increasingly blurred, and of course there are limited options for things to do outside the house for variety at the moment. To be blunt there are days that we're essentially sick of the sight of each other.

We're due to be getting married in July so we're working on planning that as far as is possible, but the uncertainty around what it will be, if it can even happen at all, is not helping. I hoped it would feel like a light at the end of the tunnel, but it doesn't at the moment.

All in all, I'm plodding along and getting through days, but I know that things aren't right in my head.

Hope you get through this period of your life, can’t offer any advice accept try and stay away from news!

Happy to put my hand up and "join the club". Have been on anti depressants for ages and they generally keep me on an even keel. I am sure that, as with probably 99%, Coronavirus is not helping although I should thank my luck stars (and not tempting fate) that no one close has been directly affected and, personally, job and finance wise we are ok. Sitll feel down and anxious about things and the future. I have found the various NHS apps a useful tool if you have not already come across them.

Matters not helped recently by a friend (only a 20' drive away) reminding me that it is over a year since we met face to face (zoom not included!) and that was on 29th Feb. 2020. I probably don't need to tell you where that was and also what happened!

Brighton Rocker

Jul 16, 2011
TN 21
Thanks for your responses. It’s good to talk.
Due to the stigma which still surrounds mental health conditions, It can be difficult to seek help. I have only been open about my depression since I retired.
Arranging an appointment with your GP to discuss mental health is a difficult step particularly during the pandemic. Also not all GPs have the expertise or knowledge of services available.
I have found self- referral services helpful although resources are quite scarce.
These services are available in Sussex
West Sussex - Time to Talk
https://gateway.mayden.co.uk/referral-v2/6293419b-f31d-49fe-9a81-cdd0bb49118d
Brighton and Hove Wellbeing Service
https://www.brightonandhovewellbeing.org/
East Sussex- Health in mind
https://www.healthinmind.org.uk/

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Thanks for your responses. It’s good to talk.
Due to the stigma which still surrounds mental health conditions, It can be difficult to seek help. I have only been open about my depression since I retired.
Arranging an appointment with your GP to discuss mental health is a difficult step particularly during the pandemic. Also not all GPs have the expertise or knowledge of services available.
I have found self- referral services helpful although resources are quite scarce.
These services are available in Sussex
West Sussex - Time to Talk
https://gateway.mayden.co.uk/referral-v2/6293419b-f31d-49fe-9a81-cdd0bb49118d
Brighton and Hove Wellbeing Service
https://www.brightonandhovewellbeing.org/
East Sussex- Health in mind
https://www.healthinmind.org.uk/

The GP thing is difficult. I had some Anxiety issues around September last year although they had been building most of the year. I approached my GP expecting some medication, but was turned down because they prefer to try talking therapy first.
I got lucky and was able to get sessions of talking therapy within 6 weeks from referral, and I have to say it's one of the best things I have done. I still struggle but can recognise the signs pretty early when things are going wrong.

If anyone is struggling contact your GP asap.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Apologies if this isn't directly related, but Magnificent Men are running a discussion and live q&a on the importance of men's groups today at 3pm. It's here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MagnificentManProject

The group is really worth joining anyway, in my imbecillic opinion. Sharing and ideas around fumbling around and trying to be better generally and, in a lot of cases, muddle through mental health stuff.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I've never suffered much apart from the usual 'ups and downs' of life in general - but the more this goes on, the lower I feel.

Just booked a lovely holiday to the US in August. Even as I was booking it with a very excited Mrs KN I'd already resigned myself to it being cancelled.

I think that we've all, at various speeds, fallen into a very negative mindset thanks to the press and the news (plus the actual rules and laws) - which kind of gets you into a spiral. I really have to force myself to do productive things now.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Brighton Rocker

Jul 16, 2011
TN 21

Thanks Cheshire Cat.
I read that thread but, it does not come over as very positive.
If there are others like me, who would like to share positive experiences of mental health recovery to support others in this community together with their friends and family, please reply.
Any ideas on how information and support can be given in a way which people feel comfortable with would be also be appreciated.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Being at home 24/7 for months pushed Mrs T into pushing me to test myself for being on the autistic/aspergers spectrum. I have mentioned this on other threads. I'm still coming to terms with the findings. It explains my entire life. If anyone saw the Chris Packham programme on telly last night, his and my experiences are very similar in many respects. He avoids all social interaction, and yet appears on the telly. I seek it out (I love teaching, for example; part of my job), even though it stresses the **** out of me, and I still do things like buy tickets to see live music and then not go on the night. I have often gone on holiday on my own - bloody love it. Anyway, won't bore people with this. I may write a book about it after I've retired (which may be sooner than I planned, since my work colleagues, I suspect, will be glad to see the back of me :lolol:).

Regarding Covid, I have found it a huge worry; my son's job security being number 1 concern, the thought of all the poor sods whose lives have been ruined by job loss really affecting me, plus worries about my own death risk in relation to the absurd expectations of my employer, adding to the brain pot.

But all that aside, working at home has been brilliant. I love not going out. I make myself go for a cycle now and then, and me and Mrs T take the nipper out for strolls in 'secret' deserted locations, but I do all that because I know I should, rather than because of need.

Good thread - let's keep it positive and supportive, if possible.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Thanks Cheshire Cat.
I read that thread but, it does not come over as very positive.
If there are others like me, who would like to share positive experiences of mental health recovery to support others in this community together with their friends and family, please reply.
Any ideas on how information and support can be given in a way which people feel comfortable with would be also be appreciated.

Let’s hope this can remain a positive thread. It’s already got people talking which is a massive positive.

Brighton Rocker

Jul 16, 2011
TN 21
Being at home 24/7 for months pushed Mrs T into pushing me to test myself for being on the autistic/aspergers spectrum. I have mentioned this on other threads. I'm still coming to terms with the findings. It explains my entire life. If anyone saw the Chris Packham programme on telly last night, his and my experiences are very similar in many respects. He avoids all social interaction, and yet appears on the telly. I seek it out (I love teaching, for example; part of my job), even though it stresses the **** out of me, and I still do things like buy tickets to see live music and then not go on the night. I have often gone on holiday on my own - bloody love it. Anyway, won't bore people with this. I may write a book about it after I've retired (which may be sooner than I planned, since my work colleagues, I suspect, will be glad to see the back of me :lolol:).

Regarding Covid, I have found it a huge worry; my son's job security being number 1 concern, the thought of all the poor sods whose lives have been ruined by job loss really affecting me, plus worries about my own death risk in relation to the absurd expectations of my employer, adding to the brain pot.

But all that aside, working at home has been brilliant. I love not going out. I make myself go for a cycle now and then, and me and Mrs T take the nipper out for strolls in 'secret' deserted locations, but I do all that because I know I should, rather than because of need.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have met many people with learning disabilities who also suffer poor mental health. It is particularly difficult for young people who struggle to conform to the norms expected by school and society. Being ‘different’ and not seeing the world as others do can be a challenge.
I struggled at school and socially as, although I was quite bright, I was slow to speak, read and write. I was diagnosed with dyslexia in my 40s after one of my sons was diagnosed.
Dyslexia to me is a different way of thinking which should be better understood. I have good spatial awareness which compensates for my poor communication skills. Many successful architects are dyslexic.
It has taken me 60 years to fully realise that being different is OK.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Being at home 24/7 for months pushed Mrs T into pushing me to test myself for being on the autistic/aspergers spectrum. I have mentioned this on other threads. I'm still coming to terms with the findings. It explains my entire life. If anyone saw the Chris Packham programme on telly last night, his and my experiences are very similar in many respects. He avoids all social interaction, and yet appears on the telly. I seek it out (I love teaching, for example; part of my job), even though it stresses the **** out of me, and I still do things like buy tickets to see live music and then not go on the ok night. I have often gone on holiday on my own - bloody love it. Anyway, won't bore people with this. I may write a book about it after I've retired (which may be sooner than I planned, since my work colleagues, I suspect, will be glad to see the back of me :lolol:).

Great post.

I watched the Chris Packham programme last night and found it fascinating, sad, funny, uplifting, enlightening and searingly honest. I guess I’m the complete opposite and actively seek social interactions and whilst I enjoy a bit of solitude from time to time I feel I’m at my best in company and around others.

However, circumstances mean I have spent the last couple of years living by myself and the last 12 months in and out of Lockdowns have been tough and taken their toll. The one thing I don’t need is too much time to think and unfortunately a by product of being shut in your house when the day’s work is done is too much time to think. Luckily for me, this place and all you lot who post here 24/7 is a bit of a lifeline.

Feels odd calling people I have never met “friends” - but after all these years, that’s what most of the regulars on here are, so far as I’m concerned.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here