Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Android phones

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Xiaomi do some really well specced phones in that price range. Often with massive battery life, decent camera, fast and smooth operation and big internal storage.... for the price.

Have a look on gsmarena for the various Redmi models is my tip.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Any reason not to just get another Motorola? I moved from a G7 to a G8 - very happy.

I just got a g8 Powerlite for £100, (from Argos) to replace my steam powered Motorola 1 :lol:
So naturally I'm amazed at the upgrade.

It turns out Motorola are now in the process of upgrading these, but still well below the OP price point.

When looking, the equivalent Samsung's cost about £50 more for no discernible difference.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Btw, if you are considering wandering off into the world of budget friendly really well specced phones, make sure you get the international or UK version and check the UK band coverage for the network you're going to be using.

Simple check site for that here: https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/GB/xiaomi-redmi-note-9-pro

I just typed in Redmi note 9 Pro as an example.

Oh, and be weary of any latest model Huawei phones. They no longer have access to the Google play store for downloading apps.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Just got a Samsung galaxy a71, does the job

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I just got a g8 Powerlite for £100, to replace my steam powered Motorola 1 :lol:
So naturally I'm amazed at the upgrade.

It turns out Motorola are now in the process of upgrading these, but still well below the OP price point.

When looking, the equivalent Samsung's cost about £50 more for no discernible difference.

It's phenomenal how fast technology has moved on. You get loads for your money these days, even, like you say, below the OP's price point.

His biggest problem will be choosing from the massive range of choice out there :lol:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There is always the tried and trusted NSC favourite - the Omsung Phine.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I think Motorola have begun messing about with their naming conventions, and their latest budget phones are the G10 and G30, due in the UK as of mid-March.

My understanding is that the G30 is supposed to offer a slightly better processor and camera than the G10, but still come in at around the £180 price point. Big battery on the Motorola handsets too, which may come in useful when we’re allowed to leave our homes again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
on look out for similar, and pleased to see feedback on the Moto G8, looks like a winner.

seems to me most the advances in phones now are in the screen pixel density and number of cameras. in one review a negative was the macro camera wasnt great. :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
on look out for similar, and pleased to see feedback on the Moto G8, looks like a winner.

seems to me most the advances in phones now are in the screen pixel density and number of cameras. in one review a negative was the macro camera wasnt great. :shrug:

Yeah I must admit a slightly suspect macro camera almost had me screaming for a policeman. :shrug:
Also it seems to have made Brandi Love look old, which is a shame.

Other than that I'm very happy, the battery is great could probably squeeze 3 days life out of it, if need be.
Everything works well.
For £100 I'm more than happy.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just got a Samsung galaxy a71, does the job

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Got one of those last year for my upgrade. Mint bit of kit. Nice sized screen, great camera, excellent battery life, slick OS. Thats my Big 4 boxes all ticked.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’m on my third Sony Experia Compact.....past normal renewal date (3 years) now but not going to change it - battery life almost as good as new and otherwise functionality is ace. Brilliant camera too.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm using a Sony Xperia L3, just over £150 and does everything I need.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
If you like Samsung but don't want to shell out a fortune a lot of the reviews I've seen suggest that the A71 ticks a lot of boxes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's phenomenal how fast technology has moved on. You get loads for your money these days, even, like you say, below the OP's price point.

His biggest problem will be choosing from the massive range of choice out there :lol:

I pay £12 a month to GiffGaff and buy a phone when the previous £100 phone has died.
So consequently I'm only about 6 or 7 phones in when it comes to mobile phone ownership.

My last phone was a refurbed Moto C, so I'd had it for about 3 years.
Last month I was looking for it's replacement and was struck by a couple of things:-

- The speed of turnover.
Site X recommends a Samsung A21 (?)
Site Y recommends a different Samsung, but side by side comparisons have them pretty much identical.
Only then did I realise this minimal upgrade had come along about 4 months after the previous model was released.

- Price.
Jnr was in a school lesson when I saw phones costing £1500.
A couple of minutes of Victor Meldrewing later he had to tell me to shut up as I'd stopped his lesson. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here